blob wrx from 5 to 6 speed-hints/tips/advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2012, 11:08 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default blob wrx from 5 to 6 speed-hints/tips/advice

as above really

im going non-dccd 6 speed in my blob wrx ready for my power hike later next year and was just wondering what other people have done regarding clutch/flywheel etc

i know i can keep my existing clutch/fly but while the box is off it would be rude not to make some worthwhile changes in that area or will my current clutch/fly be ok? if they will be ok i shall just throw a new clutch on as i have no history of mine being done

i plan to run around 400/400 and the car will never be tracked and it will never be launched its purely a fast road everyday car,i know i have to choose between a jdm or uk box but that purely depends on price

i will be running a r160 diff with my standard hubs etc

any tips/advice people can share would be gratefully received

cheers-matt
Old 17 December 2012, 09:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about cost, what you have failed to mention is the model year of your car as you will see in a minute
So I'll pick on a 2003 car for the sake of it, wrx value around 4k sti value around 6k, gearbox and diff around 2k brakes around 600 quid and engine rebuild around 2k.
See where I'm going here?
It will be cheaper to buy an sti than take your wrx to 400bhp as the STI has all the bits fitted already and adding all those bits will push your insurance up to sti levels so you may as well take the plunge.

Tony
Old 17 December 2012, 09:47 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as tony says you're throwing your money away, sell the wrx and get an sti.

plus you will save yourself the hassle of constantly trying to convince yourself and others its just as good as an sti but.........

Last edited by tubbytommy; 17 December 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 17 December 2012, 11:30 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a bug wrx mate and have put a jdm 6speed box in it after my 5speed died lol.

Havnt driven a uk 6speed but from what I gather the jdm has a shorter 5-6 gear ratio. I love the way my car drives although at times feel like I'm forever changing gear.

I see Tony's point re the wrx and Sti but hind sights a beautiful thing. If I started again yes it would be a Sti although at the stage I'm at there's only engine to change as I've already up graded everything else on my wrx. Hope this helps

Martin
Old 17 December 2012, 05:55 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
It's all about cost, what you have failed to mention is the model year of your car as you will see in a minute
So I'll pick on a 2003 car for the sake of it, wrx value around 4k sti value around 6k, gearbox and diff around 2k brakes around 600 quid and engine rebuild around 2k.
See where I'm going here?
It will be cheaper to buy an sti than take your wrx to 400bhp as the STI has all the bits fitted already and adding all those bits will push your insurance up to sti levels so you may as well take the plunge.

Tony
hi mate

right its an 04 wrx i have with porsche brakes and the car was fitted with a brand new sti engine in 2008 thats now on 34k

im quite attached to this car as its my 1st impreza and also its in real good nick,i have ££££ of receipts for everything thats ever been done

you say sti value of around £6k well im not so sure i could find an sti with such a low mileage engine and brakes like these thats been well looked after,i think i would have to start looking around the £7k+ mark

i understand what your saying about throwing money away etc etc and if my car was a standard wrx then i wouldnt bother with it but as said its got the massive brakes and the low miles sti engine so really its just the transmission holding me back

goddamn weak 5-speed spoiling things
Old 17 December 2012, 07:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything is holding you back
You dont have a front LSD like the STI's do (yours is open), alot of the suspension parts are alloy on the STI's, the steering is different (fast rack v vague steering you get with a wrx), it really is night and day no matter what you do with the wrx, though you could transfer what you have from your car to a new one and as for a "low mileage" STI engine, unless you see all the paperwork for the car it came out of (all the numbers etc), its not worth the paper its written on
There is alot more than just a badge to it, 2 totally differently engineered cars

Tony
Old 17 December 2012, 10:06 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Everything is holding you back
You dont have a front LSD like the STI's do (yours is open), alot of the suspension parts are alloy on the STI's, the steering is different (fast rack v vague steering you get with a wrx), it really is night and day no matter what you do with the wrx, though you could transfer what you have from your car to a new one and as for a "low mileage" STI engine, unless you see all the paperwork for the car it came out of (all the numbers etc), its not worth the paper its written on
There is alot more than just a badge to it, 2 totally differently engineered cars

Tony
i have all documents for the engine swap and have checked everything with powerstation who did it and i have no reason to think otherwise
Old 17 December 2012, 10:45 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your happy with the car why not , i have owned both sti first then wrx and i hated the 6 speed ratios plus i had the costly 4th/5th syncro failure .
the later hawkeye i believe have better ratios just make sure with ever box you blob/hawk theres no crunch between 4/5th .
matty had a hawk 6 speed for sale in traders breaking
Old 17 December 2012, 10:49 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
if your happy with the car why not , i have owned both sti first then wrx and i hated the 6 speed ratios plus i had the costly 4th/5th syncro failure .
the later hawkeye i believe have better ratios just make sure with ever box you blob/hawk theres no crunch between 4/5th .
matty had a hawk 6 speed for sale in traders breaking
yeah im not keen on having 6 gears as i like the 5 speed ratios but dont wanna be without a car should my 5 speed go bang

dont really see what other options i have to be honest

run the car with a little less power than i want to-maybe around 320bhp and hope the gearbox lasts

or buy spare ready for when it does go bang

ideally i would like to stick with 5 speed to keep costs down but i cant see me being happy with 320bhp ish
Old 17 December 2012, 10:57 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

ppg would be ok at 400, i admit i prefer the 5 speed ratio for everyday driving over the my old uk 6 speed, on the 1/4 mile 6 speed used to need 5th just to cross the line where mate of mine used to be able to hold 4th out over the line.
Old 17 December 2012, 11:01 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

ppg would be ok at 400.
? ? ?
Old 17 December 2012, 11:05 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

ppg or scooby clinics gearset 5 speed
Old 17 December 2012, 11:05 PM
blackknight350
Scooby Regular

im still running my 5 speed with 385bhp and 425 ftlb tourque but it is a hawkeye box and i have heard off reliable sources there the strongest boxes subaru ever done mite be selling it tho due to a serious power upgrade next year plus it has been well tested this year done gymkhana grid in it and came 1st in germany and 3rd in the uk finals so deffo hold up with the power you are looking on running mate
Old 17 December 2012, 11:06 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_clutches.htm
Old 17 December 2012, 11:08 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

ppg or scooby clinics gearset 5 speed
guessing thats not cheap
Old 17 December 2012, 11:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

bit too expensive matey
Old 17 December 2012, 11:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackknight350
im still running my 5 speed with 385bhp and 425 ftlb tourque but it is a hawkeye box and i have heard off reliable sources there the strongest boxes subaru ever done mite be selling it tho due to a serious power upgrade next year plus it has been well tested this year done gymkhana grid in it and came 1st in germany and 3rd in the uk finals so deffo hold up with the power you are looking on running mate
cheers mate altho i thought they were the same boxes as in the blobeye models?
Old 17 December 2012, 11:17 PM
blackknight350
Scooby Regular

think the caseing is a lot stonger i have seen bugs and blobs explode but mines been running them fiquers for 2 years now and never even a wisper out of the box
Old 17 December 2012, 11:18 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackknight350
think the caseing is a lot stonger i have seen bugs and blobs explode but mines been running them fiquers for 2 years now and never even a wisper out of the box
your a lucky man
Old 18 December 2012, 08:00 AM
billy21
Scooby Regular

I am running just under 400bhp and about 350torque on my 5speed type r box and no problems as yet. Been told its more the way you change or launch that will blow it up