Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe fitted to MY00 with Dawes

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 02:23 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phill,

I would say that you will hit fuel cut.I take it that you have seen my reply on the other thread.after I fitted the d/p+c/s I took my m8's car for a spin,through the town it did not hit fuel cut,even thrashing up to 30mph at quiet junctions,big smiles though.once out of the built up area on a quiet road it found fuel cut in seconds .

I am actually wondering if the Magnex d/p has something to do with high boost control problems.we removed his dawes on tuesday because some people have been saying that they are not feeling any losses going back to standard boost control.all that I can say is that the peaks were sometimes 4psi higher than held values and control was cr4p.he is leaving the dawes off to see if things improve but after 30miles it still had not on tuesday night.I know john banks was having boost problems before fitting dawes.

[Edited by T-uk - 5/2/2002 2:24:39 PM]
Old 05 February 2002, 02:54 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

john,

do you think adjusting the actuator would held bring the peak and helds closer together on his car?

the resrictor would need done too wouldn't it.

[Edited by T-uk - 5/2/2002 2:55:21 PM]
Old 02 May 2002, 11:52 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just re-fitted my downpipe again last night, and am so surprised at the results.

I have a ITG and a Scoobysport backbox, my Dawes in set at 1.2 bar (according to cheap and nasty boost gauge) which is just below fuel cut. After warming the car up last night (quite warm weather) pulled out my road, changed to second and spun the all wheels I can't believe the extra power I now have!!!!

Thought John Banks was joking about spinning the wheels in third in the wet with the above mods. Wish I fitted the DP before

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 May 2002, 12:06 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just read another thread, and it looks like I'll need to back the boost off a little ??

Can anyone confirm this ??

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 May 2002, 01:14 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

When John Banks helped me fit mine we turned the Dawes back from 17.5 PSI (just below fuel cut - never actually cut off at 17.5 but close to 18 brought the cut in) to 16.5 PSI for safe running.

Richard.
Old 02 May 2002, 01:50 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for that, I'm just waiting for the Turbo Guru (Dr Banks) to have his 2p worth

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 May 2002, 02:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone else calls me a guru I'll smack you no matter how big you are

If you were running on the edge of fuel cut before you will probably need to turn it down.
Old 02 May 2002, 02:29 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Yep - the fuel cut doesn't seem kick in unless you're in 4th/5th gear with WOT. One of the main reasons we turned the boost down was that it would ensure safe running on cold days/hot days.

Richard.
Old 02 May 2002, 02:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I have no boost issues on the standard ECU with or without the Dawes. This is with the Magnex twin dump. The PPP ECU was a nightmare for getting it spot on.

I can certainly tell the difference from the Dawes on and the standard boost. But I am running 5.5 PSI more.
Old 02 May 2002, 02:34 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

this car was holding 14ish psi and peaking to anythink up to 17psi but not cutting althought the solenoid was bringing boost back down .

I found this when I changed to a MY99 ECU but not on nearly every wot run like his car.
Old 02 May 2002, 03:15 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just my 2p's worth:

Been running DD on a fully decatted, resonator removed/KN panel filter car for a while now. Set at 1.1 bar held but only held this boost when properly warmed up. Has been dead steady, no spiking. Then changed to ITG panel filter and Samco turbo>intercooler hose kit. The change is astonishing, much bigger difference than expected. Spool up is quicker, held boost approx 0.1 bar higher than before when cold, and say 0,05 more when warm, plus it is held for longer. A tiny bit of spiking though, but nothing to worry about, ie approx 0.1 bar. Car pulls much better but I was worried about hitting fuel cut, but decided to leave DD as it was to see if it went around OK.
Off for a 550km journey, and wasn't exactly easy on the throttle, but still no fuel cut...... until after about 520kms while overtaking a couple of cars and a truck in one go

Due to the weather, I had what was effectively working as a constant IC waterspray, but I still think there's a need to turn the DD down a tiny bit as a safeguard for colder weather and heavier loads in the car. Still expect the Samco kit to give a bonus in the form of colder intake air, better spool-up and longer held boost. I expect approx 1,05 bar to be max on a 'coldish' car to avoid fuelcut after it's been thrashed for a while......

/Simen.
Old 02 May 2002, 04:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If you loosened the actuator you might lose boost above 4000 RPM - like mine was before I tightened it.

I would drill the restrictor out to 1.3mm that should fix it. I needed this for just PPP, then 1.35-1.4 with downpipe as well.
Old 02 May 2002, 04:20 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey John, what's this about you hitting me, lol....But you are the Subaru Turbo Guru, why don't you work for Pro-drive or IM ? That way at least someone there will know what they're on about

Looking forward to my next visit to Edinburgh, so we can meet up and you can take a look over my old "hesitating bag of ****e" that been transformed into a harrier jump jet It's lovely now it's been painted again!!

Cheers Phill C

PS I need to get the car on the motorway and see if I can hit fuel cut. I didn't on the way to work, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th this morning