Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

I think i killed my scooby.

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2005, 08:37 PM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I think i killed my scooby.

Today is a very , very , very sad day for me , I think i've killed my engine and need some good advice, Heres what happened.

First of all here's what car i have:
Impreza Turbo 2000 (W Reg 2000 registered)
Only Mods are a BackBox,

I've had the car for 2 years and have always replaced the oil .oilfilter,airfilter and spark plugs on a regular basis, anyway yesterday i put NGK Platinums in and new air filter and oil filter and new 05-30 castrol magnatex nothing unsual there , however i seen a product called NitroBoost in my local Petrol station what said on the packet it cleans out all the old carbon so i got that aswell and put it in the fuel tank. I done all that work yesterday and went out in the car today and everything was fine , she sounded perfect , then i get to a nice long empty A road and start boosting i was taken it to redline going till 140mph then all of a sudden there was major power lose so i slowed right down and everything sounded ok , so then i took it easy , then when i got to the roundabout and slowed down i could hear a loud knocking noise( and very heavy to) from the engine, i nursed the car back home strightaway and spoke to my mechanic neighbour who said it sounded like the tappets or the hydrolics but he said he knows nothing about subarus so he could be wrong, either way im know im looking at a hefty repair bill ,and was wondering if anyone knew what happened before i take it to my local subaru dealership for them to take a look at it.

i need to cry some more and let it all out , i cant honsetly say this is one of the saddest days of my life(Especially 1 day after servicing her)

All Help and suggestions are appreciated , Thanks

Old 23 April 2005, 09:09 PM
4ndy
Scooby Regular

I'm no mechanic so plz get expert opinion but I think it sounds like the big end has gone which causes the knocking noise feel 4 ya m8
Old 23 April 2005, 09:10 PM
Bats-Wrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like big end bearing failure
Old 23 April 2005, 09:25 PM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply 4ndy and Bats-Wrx , i dont know much about the internals of car engines but i know big end faliure don't sound to good Any Ideas on how much it will cost to repair, and where do you rekon i should go to get it done , subaru dealership or somewhere else, I live in birmingham ,west midlands, i forgot to mention i took the battery out over night aswell to charge it up and when i was boosting it it was maybe about 3 miles after putting the battery back on.
Old 23 April 2005, 09:41 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Try David @ api engines in Warwick
http://www.apiengines.com/

Originally Posted by Turbo2000_Booster
Thanks for the quick reply 4ndy and Bats-Wrx , i dont know much about the internals of car engines but i know big end faliure don't sound to good Any Ideas on how much it will cost to repair, and where do you rekon i should go to get it done , subaru dealership or somewhere else, I live in birmingham ,west midlands, i forgot to mention i took the battery out over night aswell to charge it up and when i was boosting it it was maybe about 3 miles after putting the battery back on.
Old 23 April 2005, 10:18 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear mate. Sounds like big end faillure. Bin there done that. Cost me 1600+vat plus fitting for a rebuild. And thats cheap really.
IMO it sounds like the 140mph sprint killed it. Past 100 mph the IC is crap and the intake temps rise and cause det. Then there is the fuel ratio which will lean off too again causing more heat at top speed if the fuel pump is tired.
Sorry to hear the news. I would never take mine over 120 now. Theres loads left but i dare not risk it.
You could look round for a salvage engine but IMO if you love the car and intend to keep it then you should go for a proper rebuild

Andy

Today is a very , very , very sad day for me , I think i've killed my engine and need some good advice, Heres what happened.

Only Mods are a BackBox,

I've had the car for 2 years and have always replaced the oil .oilfilter,airfilter and spark plugs on a regular basis, anyway yesterday i put NGK Platinums in and new air filter and oil filter and new 05-30 castrol magnatex nothing unsual there , however i seen a product called NitroBoost in my local Petrol station what said on the packet it cleans out all the old carbon so i got that aswell and put it in the fuel tank. I done all that work yesterday and went out in the car today and everything was fine , she sounded perfect , then i get to a nice long empty A road and start boosting i was taken it to redline going till 140mph then all of a sudden there was major power lose so i slowed right down and everything sounded ok , so then i took it easy , then when i got to the roundabout and slowed down i could hear a loud knocking noise( and very heavy to) from the engine, i nursed the car back home strightaway and spoke to my mechanic neighbour who said it sounded like the tappets or the hydrolics but he said he knows nothing about subarus so he could be wrong, either way im know im looking at a hefty repair bill ,and was wondering if anyone knew what happened before i take it to my local subaru dealership for them to take a look at it.

i need to cry some more and let it all out , i cant honsetly say this is one of the saddest days of my life(Especially 1 day after servicing her)

Old 23 April 2005, 11:27 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. A loud banging noise would indicate big end failure and the conditions you have described are sadly ideal for bringing on the onset of big end failure in a Scooby

However big end failure is unlikely to result in a sudden power loss that then returns. If your neigbour is a mechanic and says tappets I'd feel it unlikely that it is big ends - there's quite a noticeable difference in the noise.

One thing you can easily check yourself is that one of your sparks isn't lose or the HT lead jumped off, given that you've just changed them it's quite possible. Either of these will create a power loss and some strange noises not so easily indentifiable to many mechanics because of their unorthadox location.

Fingers crossed for the best, but if the prognosis is bad then as said eailier on the thread David from API will be able to sort you out and not rip you off in the process.

Edited to add:

I'm not so sure about the oil you've used either, it looks way to thin to me. I cant be sure without looking but I'm pretty certain I use Mobile 1 Motorsport 15w50 in mine, Search the forum for Oil, I'm sure you'll find stacks of threads about it.

Last edited by zhastaph; 23 April 2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 23 April 2005, 11:49 PM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Thanx guys , to bad i didnt know about this website before i found it doing a search on the problem, would have loved to have read some of the stuff on here before , thanx you all for your help ,

Im going to check the spark plugs tommorow and ive taken the battery out to reset the ecu, I just find it strange it happened after me doing maybe 6 miles after a service(the nitro boost or the ecu reset are the only other things i done at the time that could has caused it),zhastaph now that you mention the spark plugs , the noise does seems to be coming from the plug nearest to the turbo(the one i always have trouble taking in and out with my wrench because it to tight), i can only hope that its is sonething simple , the mechanic guy told me it sounded like hydrolic tappets but i dont know much about actual internal of the engine workings , im gonoing to try the spark plugs in the mornings if that dont help looks like im off to my subaru dealership and if its bad news , then looks like a call to api.

Once again thanx all

Get well soon my scooby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add
dammmmmmmmm i always used to put full sythentic in 0-40 i tho8ught that was the best oil, i only got this castrol magnatex 0-5-30 becasue it came with a free basecap , could that be the problem

Last edited by Turbo2000_Booster; 23 April 2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:05 AM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

You may even find it's just making a row because of the oil. It's difficult to guess without actually hearing it. One thing is for sure with a big end failure the engine will sound totally fcuked.

If it is just very tappy it may be worth dropping the oil out and putting something thicker in.

Do do a search on the oil, there are about 3 types recommended on here and they're all a lot heavier than what you have.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:11 AM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by zhastaph
You may even find it's just making a row because of the oil. It's difficult to guess without actually hearing it. One thing is for sure with a big end failure the engine will sound totally fcuked.

If it is just very tappy it may be worth dropping the oil out and putting something thicker in.

Do do a search on the oil, there are about 3 types recommended on here and they're all a lot heavier than what you have.
Thanx m8 I gonna check into that , Hopefully , if it aint tottaly messed up i might be able to put the right oil in her for once.
Old 24 April 2005, 02:22 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

5w-30 is for newer engines, not for a my00 impreza. Magnatec is also semi-synth which isn't so good (I don't know if they do a fully synth version). It's magnetic properties have detrimental effects on the engine.

If you'd only driven three miles before going to 140, the engine wasn't fully warmed up. Also not good.

Did you fill the oil filter with oil before putting it on? and prime the oil pump?

Unfortunately all of the above added up doesn't look so good
All the best though, hope it's not that serious, as stated do a search for the recent 'oil' threads, a lot of good info in there.

Dave
Old 24 April 2005, 02:35 AM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RB5_245
5w-30 is for newer engines, not for a my00 impreza. Magnatec is also semi-synth which isn't so good (I don't know if they do a fully synth version). It's magnetic properties have detrimental effects on the engine.

If you'd only driven three miles before going to 140, the engine wasn't fully warmed up. Also not good.

Did you fill the oil filter with oil before putting it on? and prime the oil pump?

Unfortunately all of the above added up doesn't look so good
All the best though, hope it's not that serious, as stated do a search for the recent 'oil' threads, a lot of good info in there.

Dave
No i never put oil in the filter first i put the filter on clean and just add the oil , and ive been looking into the oil ,and it looks as though i fcuked up, normally i was putting halfords fully sythentic 0-30 oil in then this time i put castrol magnatex in because you got a free F1 baseball cap with it , and in the three miles was a lot of traffic it probaly took me about 20-25 mins before i got on the A-Road so i'm sure the engine was warmed up, ive been searching on the forum and seen that ive been putting the wrong in for 2 years and i guess it was way to thin,

I wish i knew about this Website before hand , i think i killed my scooby by not looking into things, as the past 2 years i used to really boost around all the time and never had funny engine noise's or anything like this , i took the car forgranted and i guess im gonna have to pay for it big time (from my wallet) right now i'm devasted and going to try the spark plugs if that dont work then looks like im either try and part x it , or see how much it will cost to get fixed.

Tommy Get well soon scooby baby!!!!!!!!!

ADDED THIS:
I'm guessing that the one shot Nitroboost or reseting the ecu before doing the boost has not contributed to this because no ones mentioned it , Could it have anything to do with the One shot Boost?

Last edited by Turbo2000_Booster; 24 April 2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 24 April 2005, 03:57 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You never know, i've never heard anything about power boost personally.

However, when changing your oil you should fill the oil filter first, then before you strat the car turn the engine over with the plugs removed (and injectors disconnected really) for 10secs or so to get the oil through the system.

Not doing this properly has been blamed for a few engine failures in the past. I'm sure lots of people do it and get away with it though.

Best of luck anyway.

Dave
Old 25 April 2005, 04:32 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two obvious mistakes here,

ONE, NEVER put 0W or 5W anything in a Subaru turbo engine it tends to break them.

TWO, ALWAYS pre-fill the oil filter before installing it and then build up oil pressure before starting the engine or you stand a chance of early big end failure.

ARE YOU LISTENING PSLEWIS??

Sorry for your problem turbo2000_booster Call me if you feel better l'll talk you through the rebuild and the options.

Good Luck whatever

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

PS That's a really expensive ' free ' baseball cap !!

Only Mods are a BackBox,

Last edited by APIDavid; 25 April 2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 01:08 AM
Turbo2000_Booster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Two obvious mistakes here,

ONE, NEVER put 0W or 5W anything in a Subaru turbo engine it tends to break them.

TWO, ALWAYS pre-fill the oil filter before installing it and then build up oil pressure before starting the engine or you stand a chance of early big end failure.

ARE YOU LISTENING PSLEWIS??

Sorry for your problem turbo2000_booster Call me if you feel better l'll talk you through the rebuild and the options.

Good Luck whatever

www.apiengines.com

PS That's a really expensive ' free ' baseball cap !!
Thanks for the reply m8, I took the car to a dealership and not good news as soon as he heard the engine he said it was ****'d and it sounded like crank shaft faliure he said it was a new block or a rebuild , i'll definataly be giving you a call soon to see what options i've got.

Ps, I gave the Cap to my cousin , don't wanna be reminded about this everytime see a bmw f1 baseball cap
Old 27 April 2005, 12:00 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Could it not possibly be the turbo boost pipe (does that make sense?) ive heard people mention these before.
Old 27 April 2005, 11:41 PM
bubbazenetti
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Hey guys, maybe it could be a traffic cone wrapped round the old back tyre?? Christ you are all so negative on the poor dude!! Sorry, i'd be sick as a dog also!!
Old 28 April 2005, 12:33 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

any joy mate?
Old 28 April 2005, 03:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by bubbazenetti
Hey guys, maybe it could be a traffic cone wrapped round the old back tyre?? Christ you are all so negative on the poor dude!! Sorry, i'd be sick as a dog also!!
Based on the facts of this case mate, I don't think anyone is jumping to an unreasonable negative conclusion:

As David said:

Wrong oil = BANG
Not Priming the filter = Potential BANG
Nitro whatever..... Wouldn't touch the stuff. Use the tried and tested combination of good quality petrol and fully synth oil of the right grade so your engine won't go BANG
DO NOT gun a car that has only done 3 miles, the oil has not warmed up properly and won't be affording the engine the protection that such aggressive treatment needs = BANG
Sustained high speed runs on the std IC. I'm told that the std IC is inefficient above 100= increased intake temps = det = BANG.

This is really sad as it could have all probably been avoided if the poor chap had known this from the start. I hope it doesn't cost too much to put right.

All the best,

NS04
Old 28 April 2005, 04:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Based on the facts of this case mate, I don't think anyone is jumping to an unreasonable negative conclusion:

As David said:

Wrong oil = BANG
Not Priming the filter = Potential BANG
Nitro whatever..... Wouldn't touch the stuff. Use the tried and tested combination of good quality petrol and fully synth oil of the right grade so your engine won't go BANG
DO NOT gun a car that has only done 3 miles, the oil has not warmed up properly and won't be affording the engine the protection that such aggressive treatment needs = BANG
Sustained high speed runs on the std IC. I'm told that the std IC is inefficient above 100= increased intake temps = det = BANG.

This is really sad as it could have all probably been avoided if the poor chap had known this from the start. I hope it doesn't cost too much to put right.

All the best,

NS04
Although the standard intercooler is inefficient, the car has a safe map and as long as everything is in good condition will survive high speed runs. Do you really think subaru would build a car that throws a rod everytime it goes over 100.

Although a quick look at charge temps may give you a scare

Dave
Old 29 April 2005, 09:46 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My goodness, no post from Pslewis!!!?!!
Old 30 April 2005, 08:57 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Although the standard intercooler is inefficient, the car has a safe map and as long as everything is in good condition will survive high speed runs. Do you really think subaru would build a car that throws a rod everytime it goes over 100.

Although a quick look at charge temps may give you a scare

Dave
LOL, yeah, although how much is a re-build? I do, however, question the wisdom of such a run after only 3 miles of warming up!

Do you know exactly why the scoop is inefficient at above 100mph? is it just the height off the bonnet being insufficient above 100mph, or is the air just not being directed into the intercooler directly enough above this speed?

NS04
Old 30 April 2005, 09:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's to do with laminar air flow; IE the air hits the front the bonnet and rises over the screen creating a low pressure area in the triangle between the front of the bonnet and the top of the screen.

By increasing the size of the scoop you interfere with the air flow and creat a tumble effect that allows air into the area of the scoop.

AT LEAST that was how it was explained to me by someone who knows about these things.

The size of the scoop is more to do with interfering with the flow rather than trying to stick up into the flow in simplest terms.

Very credible even if proven to be off the mark by another ' person who knows '

www.apiengines.com
Old 30 April 2005, 10:31 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

anybody got access to a wind tunnel
Old 01 May 2005, 11:55 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Some interesting info there david.

Do the new sti8 (theyre the larger ones arent they?) fit on a classic?
Old 01 May 2005, 03:05 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
Some interesting info there david.

Do the new sti8 (theyre the larger ones arent they?) fit on a classic?
There's loads mate, do a search on the gallery or similar.
- Taller standard looking scoops.
- New style WRX scoops
- STi 8 style.

...all the above can probably be obtained for clossics in pre or post facelift fittings.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:32 AM
bzz
Scooby Regular

What happened then mate? Did you find out what the problem was?

Last edited by bzz; 31 May 2005 at 01:45 AM.