More Power Steering confusion

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 08:26 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Power Steering confusion

Hi all,

I had a small leak from the power steering fluid reservoir so changed the 'O' ring and topped up the fluid.

All seemed fine until i went for a spin when as everything warmed up i started getting a whine from the engine bay. Stopped and had a look and realised i must have overfilled the fluid as it's all over the top of the reservoir. I soaked some out with a clean rag and drove slowly home.

The whine returned as soon as the temps got up again and rises and falls with the engine speed. I've tried full lock both sides with the cap off but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm now worried that i've topped it up with the wrong fluid as when i had another look the fluid seemed to be "boiling" with loads of small bubbles that disappear as the fluid cools.

I used Castrol Automatic TQ Dexron III but have no idea what was in there already. The cap says use ATF Dexron AS. Are these are right to mix? Should i drain the lot and refill (if so where is the drain plug) or have i just got an airlock?

Thanks in advance,

Roy.

P.S. The nice man from Simpsons in Swindon sent me two O rings so if anyone is after one give me a shout.
Old 16 September 2004, 11:00 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Anyone, please?

Have tried searching this BBS (not one mention of what PAS fluid to use!), the SIDC FAQ, 22B.com and would look in my book but it's in a box at the bottom of a very large pile of junk in the garage.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds likje either an air lock or the wrong fluid, I never had the same problem with I did the job on mine and I over filler mine too but like you it just escaped out of the cap etc..

sorry cannot help any more than that.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:28 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

You've used auto transmission oil, not power steering fluid, two completely different oils. If the pump is screaming when its warm, then the pump is on the way out, mine did it from when I had it, didn't bother me till some said I should really get it looked at, took local subaru mechanic out and he said needed new pump, got done under warranty so wasn't really bother, but air locks will take ages to get out of system due to the nature of its design, but I'd try and get the wrong oil out and put the correct in.

Jim
Old 16 September 2004, 01:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes thinking sbout it I used Hydrolic oil of some sort from Castrol.. not automatic oil.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:36 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Aah, oops, thanks guys, looks like it was the wrong fluid then.

Bit annoyed with the motor factors (who are normally excellent) because i was unsure about which one to buy and took their advice.

Anybody know where the drain plug is please? Or should i just get underneath and look around in the direction of the steering rack?

Thanks again,

Roy.
Old 16 September 2004, 02:03 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

There isn't a drain plug as far as I know.

As far as oil types go, if it isn't what you asked for don't buy it, as you found out the hard way once its there its a git to get out, if you can't find the exact brand, try a different make but don't rely on someone telling you its correct, if it doesn't mention anything about PS then don't use it.
Old 16 September 2004, 05:17 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jim,

...i have this horse that's managed to get out of his stable....