Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 10:29 AM
thetechnogeek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a newbie?

OK, so I'm a real newbie here having just bought a MY00 last week. Not really planning any mods just yet, but wondered what some of the terms used in this forum mean

- What's a decat? I assume removal of catalytic converter? Why would you want to do this?

- What's PPP (other than a healthcare company)?

- And finally, given my newbie status, if I were to do nothing but change the panel filter for a K&N or Green, would I see/feel/hear any difference at all.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the dumb Qs. Looking forward to a long relationship with my scooby but suspect I'll be back here for help a lot!

Iain
Old 09 June 2004, 10:45 AM
scooby-jay
Scooby Regular

hello mate

you are right a decat is where you remove the catalytic converter this increases the bhp because releases more gases from the engine that is why you want to do this.

a ppp is a prodrive pack which is fitted to the car normally from a subaru dealer (air filter chip exhaust fuel pump ) makes the car go faster.

if you change the air filter you might get an extra 3-5bhp nothing to shout about and you wont really notice any changes in response throttle wise

hope this helps you a bit

cheers

scooby_jay
Old 09 June 2004, 12:27 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's 2 cats in your car. One in the down pipe and one in the centre section. Replacing one or both of these parts of the exhaust with a similar part without the cat improves the flow of exhaust gases, improving performance and also sounds

Prodrive Performance Pack (Prodrive prep Subaru Rally cars) for your car will involve a new ecu, intercooler hosing, decat centre section and exhaust back box. Retail is around £2000 from a dealer (only available through dealers). Gives around 20bhp increase, but main benefits include much improved drivability over the std ecu, and a warranty.

As well as K&N and Green, other popular replacement filters include JR and the uprated STi filter (not the same as the std STi one).

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:49 PM
thetechnogeek
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks!

Much appreciated. Will removing both cats make the car, errrm, slightly less legal in the UK? And how do you go about getting it thru the MOT without any cats?

Iain
Old 09 June 2004, 05:53 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Correct. Keep the one in the down pipe and you'll be OK. Keep the one in the centre and some people have still passed. You could go for a sports cat which has the same high flow characteristics of an exhaust without the cat, but still meets emmisions regs. Of course you'll pay extra for the privillege.

Another option is to replace the original come MOT time.

Apparently there are 'decat friendly' testing stations. But of course, this is just a rumour.
Old 09 June 2004, 07:53 PM
thetechnogeek
Scooby Regular

Talking No downpipe cat = more power

Thanks again for the info. Having spoken to a hypothetical cat friendly testing station, it seems that removing the downpipe cat yields more power than removal of the mid-section cat? Anyone comment on this? Looks like I need to make a choice between the two and weighing up power gain vs hassle gain is an important factor...

And while I'm asking, is a remap worthwhile without a decat?

Thanks all for a great forum, I'm learning lots!
Old 10 June 2004, 11:43 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Correct again. Dp cat is the one to get rid of if you had to choose between the two. However, if you're doing this and have found a decat friendly station then you may as well go all the way. The centre section is only around £60 for something like the Magnex.

Remap is always worth while, but best done after you've made a few changes to save (the expense of) having the map adjusted after each additional mod you make to the car.