Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Simple but URGENT Scoobysport Downpipe Query

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 11:27 AM
Markie J
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Simple but URGENT Scoobysport Downpipe Query

My car is now at the age where my Scoobysport downpipe has to come off for the MOT to get the car through. I've taken the pipe to a garage to get it re-fitted & they're asking if a sperate gasket is required at the turbo end? I've never done the job myslef, so I don't know what's required.

Can anyone advise if a seperate gasket is required at the turbo end or is it just the usual exhast sealant round the flange? If you do need a seperate gasket, where can you get one?

I'm at Castle Donnington Monday so I need some help quick!!!

Thanks
Old 19 May 2004, 12:22 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

TBH I'd just re use the old one, I'd wager its the OE one that the SS dp is mated to now.

Why do you need to refit it for the MOT? Have you also removed the cat in the up-pipe and the centr section? Can it not pass with just the centre section cat (which is easier to replace)?
Old 19 May 2004, 12:25 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gasket, or sealant.. depends how bothered you are
Old 19 May 2004, 01:18 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markie J
My car is now at the age where my Scoobysport downpipe has to come off for the MOT to get the car through. I've taken the pipe to a garage to get it re-fitted & they're asking if a sperate gasket is required at the turbo end? I've never done the job myslef, so I don't know what's required.

Can anyone advise if a seperate gasket is required at the turbo end or is it just the usual exhast sealant round the flange? If you do need a seperate gasket, where can you get one?

I'm at Castle Donnington Monday so I need some help quick!!!

Thanks
If it's "now at the age where it needs an MOT" im guessing it's an MY01 Bugeye?

If so, I changed my downpipe on Saturday to a decat version on (MY01) and there was definately NO gasket at the turbo end. In fact there wasn't any sealant either

Hope this helps

PS - if you decide to put it through the MOT with the decat downpipe still on it let me know how you get on coz I will do the same in December.
Old 19 May 2004, 02:23 PM
Markie J
Scooby Newbie

Default For Info

Thanks for the answers!! - Donno here I come.

The car's a '98 STi IV. It won't quite go through the emissions test on the Scoobysport downpipe - either the CO or the lamda is just out - one comes within spec as the other drifts out! I end up having to change back to the standard downpipe at MoT time. The rest of the system is standard STi.

The local garage refused to put the Scoobysport pipe back on after the MoT test on the grounds that it was "illegal" - hence I've had to find someone else to do it. Ho hum.
Old 20 May 2004, 08:50 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

To save all the hassle next year, try and source (or borrow) a UK catted centre section - much easier to fit (as in DIY) and will pass the emissions no probs
Old 20 May 2004, 08:53 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you know the MOT station, just ask them to stick a centre cat on the end of the tailpipe (put an old rag around it so it doesn't get scratched).

Mine passed easily like that last year.
Old 20 May 2004, 05:55 PM
LeeG
Scooby Newbie

Would nt worry mine passed no probs with decat downpipe just give it a little warm up before you hand the keys over