Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Management Upgrade - An age old question ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2001, 01:37 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am going for an exhaust system replacement; de-catted downpipe and back box (I haven't decided wich make, but Magnex are looking good), with an ITG panel filter. Thing is, I'm thinking about having the Engine Managment Upgraded (EMU) on my 94 WRX to compliment the exhaust change. Having searched the BB I haven't seen much on the subject.

What EMU process (if any) is best to go with my exhaust and filter preferences. I'm assuming there are few alternatives that I can go for. But, if reccomended, what price am I looking to pay?
PE of Uxbridge do a package for £763 (rolling road tune etc) and this is the only reference point I have.

Thankx guys.

Al.
Old 22 August 2001, 01:57 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Al,

Do a search on ECU and you'll find lot's informations on

PPP - Prodrive Performance Pack (Subaru Dealer)
Link & Motec -
Old 22 August 2001, 03:03 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Andy, I'll start researching now.

As for Superchips, I gave them a ring and they seemed OK. Quoted £470 inc VAT with Rolling Road tune on PE's (Uxbridges) kit. he suggested an increase of approx 30-35 Bhp over my 94's 240 (230 realistic).

Why the reluctance with Superchips? Is it the installation quality or the chip itself causing problems, and is the 30-35 increase realistic?
He also mentioned that I'd need to sign a waiver stating that any engine problems occuring due to this mod would be none of their fault. He told me in detail about an inherant 3rd Cylinder knocking problem with some boxers. Don't mind the waiver, but i would insist on it to specifying the 3rd Cylinder problem, not the entire engine!!

Oppinions appreciated.

Al.
Old 22 August 2001, 03:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if the 3rd cylinder problem he is referring to is piston slap - do a seach - I have never really looked into it as it is (supposed) to be a problem that does not affect the Phase II engine in MY00 which I have.

I also looked at superchips. I daresay you may well get such a good increase in power, but the safety is at least questionable as it works on the basis of a fuel cut defender - ie removes overboost protection and on Subarus is not actually a remap - although Falkland suggest that Prodrive rang superchips for advice on how to do their pack and basically copied it. I suspect that is garbage. The chip is basically fooling the ECU into believing the boost is lower than it actually is, therefore using the original ignition timing and fuelling map - which is designed for lower amounts of boost. This assumes that the fuelling is generous which is probably the case on a UK car if you stay within reasonable limits, but on a WRX which is mapped for 100RON fuel I think you could be looking at terrible detonation problems. I decided on a Prodrive Performance pack, but it is only for UK spec cars and not a 94 WRX.

If you go for a Link or Unichip you will get a map to the fuel of your choice taking account of your mods. It is more expensive obviously as it is a much better solution.
Old 22 August 2001, 03:39 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Red face

John, thanks. Certainly food for thought there. Don't worry I'm not about to rush into this!! I don't 'thrash' my baby on a regular basis. I drive strong and hard like everyone else, but I'm not track day sort of guy. So I assume the Chipping problems at High Boost wouldn't really be a major problem.

I have yet to change my exhaust and was wondering what to with the 0ther 4/500 quid I have out of a grand. So my budget is not great, hence the Superchip option.

It may be better to wait and get 'proper' job done. Anyway I was thinking that a Chip, plus decent exhaust done on the same day should put a bigger smile on my face for the money spent!

I'm wading my way thru a search at the moment, so I have more info to collect before making my decision.

How much are the Link and Unichip options?

[This message has been edited by Al Cook (edited 22 August 2001).]
Old 22 August 2001, 03:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car's boost peak is at 3100rpm. Although it is a different engine from yours, you could easily run into excessive boost problems even if you did not think you were really pushing things. Agree though, det is more likely at high revs.
With the other £500 I would spend it on getting geometry/bumpsteer done £100, 4 pot brakes (if you don't already have them) with decent discs and pads, along with some good tyres - eg Bridgestone SO2, Toyo T1-S or Goodyear Eagle F1.
Old 22 August 2001, 04:16 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The superchips option is an expensive way of doing what a bleed valve does.

There is no way I would put on of those on my car. Apparently execrising caution you can get safe inprovements, but the extra power to me just isnt worth the risk.

Forget remapping, as these need to be redone eachtime you improve air fow.

On your car teh first theing I would do is fit a full scoobysport/mania or similar exhaust (not hks) whilst this is being done, buy a new lambda sensor, as I guarantee that unless it has been replaced yours will be knackered.

The early car shad these installed in the headers, meaning they get too hot, and quickly deteriorate. By buying a new downpipe you can have the lambda sensor moved their liek on the later cars, and have the dealer plug the gap in the headers.

This will save you money straight away, as buggered sensors mean the car will safely run rich, and hence waste fuel.

With this done, the car will immediately feel much stronger, and will pull like a train with your turbo (td05 = big - I think) on it.

It will also give you a chance to get used to teh improvements and in that time, learn what to do with the car.

It is already very very quick, so why not appreciate it in standardish form, before assuming you need more.

The exhaust alone will release loads of performance on the road, plus holding off will give you time to meet people, and learn that the only next and ecu step is to contact bob rawle developments.

Good luck.
Old 22 August 2001, 04:48 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Question

Adam,

Two things ...

1) AFAIK the lambda sensor does bugger all under load (don't know about MY01) Still a good suggestion to have it checked though.

2) I agree that Bob is very knowledgeable, and people are very satisfied with his work, but to call him the only option, isn't that a bit stretching it ?

Not looking for a fight, just thought this needed some balancing.

Theo
Old 22 August 2001, 06:17 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
<B>Agree though, det is more likely at high revs.[/quote]

Det is actually more likely at lower revs, especially at the peak torque point which will be between 3000-4500rpm on a typical Scoob. Difference in advance between here and the high rev bracket can easily be over 20%.

However some WRXs have problems at the high end as the fueling leans out - this can be an ECU or a delivery problem. Depends on model.

Trout

Trout

Old 22 August 2001, 10:12 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Wise words from you all.

Adams's words of caution do appeal to me. I want a good and satisfying job, not just a bolt on speed booster.

When I get the down pipe and rear box mounted, i'll definately get the guys at PE Uxbridge to look at the manifold sensor to see if it needs replacing. I'm no tech head on cars (comoputers yes, cars no) but the cautionary upgrade path seems wise.

I'm an advanced driver, with 'roadcraft' experience and I enjoyed my car to the full whilst in Cyprus under the guidance of an ex-pat MET Police Intructor. So I can appreciate it's handling and performance.

I did post on General asking for help on spending my £1000 in giving me that balanced car rather than just improving one area without looking into the effects in others, but I had no takers.

So, as it stands. I'll look into the exhaust upgrade and sensor movement and replacemment. Std ITG panel replacement and a rolling road tune from PE. And, as Adam says, enjoy that for a while and keep talking and listening to you lot!!

Still, I learned a lot today.

Unless of course, someone else knows better!!

[This message has been edited by Al Cook (edited 22 August 2001).]
Old 23 August 2001, 01:34 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

does not a duff lambda sensor bugger the pick up point of the map hence affecting the open loop ?
Old 23 August 2001, 12:25 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Theo,

I would never start a fight with someone as big as you.

the lambda sensor wont do anything off boost, you are right as it consults a map and doesnt run in closed loop lambda. I didnt mention it as a performance improvement, but it will improve fuel economy smoothness and emissions.

As far as commercial tuners go, you may have your opinions, but I can think of no other good mappers with experience and knowledge of imprezas specifically.

Bob has not yet had an engine let go (touch wood). I here your guy is great with the unichip, but over here the only person I would pay to play with such thins is Bob.

As far as not paying, the only other person allowed to map my car is R19KET (Mark).

Thats why for me, bob is the only commercialy available option.