Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dumb mistakes lead to trouble :(

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2001, 12:13 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I think damage from overrevving usually appears sooner rather than later (bent valves etc).

I used to have a R5 Turbo which has a pushrod engine. My wife did the same as you and it hit 7500rpm for an instant (redline at 6k). It survived without harm, so you have probably got away with it this time . Get your ECU reset and see what happens.

Cheers,

Alex.
Old 31 May 2001, 12:30 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Question

That was my next question.... Should I try to reset the ECU myself (by switching off the battery for 30min) ? I don't really have time to go to the dealer right now... Opinions, please ?
Old 31 May 2001, 12:39 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

i have had a problem with my my01. when i rev it hard to the red line in 1st and 2nd the engine warning light comes on.

had it checked at the dealer a couple of times and they said it was logged as a camshaft error, but as the light went out after i turned the ignition off for a few hours then not to worry. it has now happened 6 times but now i dont care as its a company car and going back on sunday as i have a new job.

but, mad max, get it checked out. the warning light is on for a reason and its better to know why than ignore it !!!

dave

Old 31 May 2001, 09:08 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yup, yesterday evening, while driving back home, I was having fun with my MY01... I was overtaking in 3re gear, but since the visibility was great and no-one was coming the other was, I changed into 4th... And I ended up in 2nd (That really hurt!!!). It didn't last more then half a second, of course, but it was enough for the engine to red-line, and for the ckech engine light to turn on.

Of course, after that, I slowly drove back home (I was pretty close), let the engine cool off (since it wasn't making any weird noises, and as smooth as usual when Idle), then switched it off, then on again. I am pretty disapoined, because the check engine light is still on, even though there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car. Idling is as smooth as usual, no weird noises under the hood, purring as usual, so I'm wondering what I broke. I also checked oil and cooling liquid levels, and they are both fine. The car isn't smoking, and it doesn't seem to have lost power.

Does anybody have any Idea ? (I hate doing something dumb ! It's my fault, and I get really p1ssed when it happens !)

Thanks for your help.

Rui
Old 31 May 2001, 09:29 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Phone your dealer, get it checked. they might just need to reset the warning light, but you don't know that yet!

Old 31 May 2001, 09:31 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Did exactly the same in my UK94. Meant to change from 4th to 5th, missed and hit 3rd

In the 1/2 second I'd let the clutch out for it hit 8400RPM according to the APEXI boost management screen.

Looked at dash ~ no warnings, looked in mirror no hugh plume of smoke.
Gingerly applied throttle and all appeared OK.

Checked oil when I got home (for oil level) and all looked normal.

When this happened I was blasting past a car which had been annoying me for miles....
Guess who looked the pillock ???

I bow my head with embarrasment

Mark

Old 31 May 2001, 09:33 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

That's why I'm worried... I really feel like an idiot, doing a beginer's mistake, and I know that's the solution, but I can't go to the dealer before next monday (Crytical weekend at work)... And I was thinking this might have happened to someone else.

Thanks

Max
Old 31 May 2001, 09:34 AM
kav
Scooby Regular

Red face

Did this twice running in my car and hit the red line both times! Car's now done 35,000 miles and seems to be no worse for the experience - I wouldn't worry mate.

Cheers
Kav
Old 31 May 2001, 09:35 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I blame the very close quickshift kit on my box....

Fool aways blames his tools

Old 31 May 2001, 09:39 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark... At least you didn't have warning lights... I wouldn't have worried if I didn't, but at least you just made me laugh, and also helped to feel less foolish

Thanks everyone

Did anybody do this and have the check engine light come on ?

Thanks kav... Pretty reassuring .

Rui

P.S. I blamed it on the fast gearshift too, but it really was my fault (I'm a lousy liar !! .

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 31 May 2001).]
Old 31 May 2001, 09:54 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Red face

Done it twice recently. Full bore through the box, foot welded to the floor, look for 4th and find 2nd. Oooooooohhhhhhh that's gotta hurt. I blame the close ratio gbox. And the fact I only use the car at the weekends.

I nearly head butted the stearing wheel, luckily didn't red line it. (I don't think) Clutch got dumped v fast.

P.
Old 31 May 2001, 02:36 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Its not possible to do an ECU reset on an 01, without the Select Monitor.

Take it to your dealer and get him to check the code out and reset it.

Old 31 May 2001, 02:50 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys... Will do ASAP
Old 01 June 2001, 09:14 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guess what ? Yup, yuo guessed it... The light is off... Go figure

I got to the car yesterday afternoon after work, re-check oil and cooling liquid, and everything is ok. I get in, switch it on, back out of the parking space, and when I put first gear, SURPRISE !!!!!! No chack-engine light !!! YEsssssssssssssssssss !!

So, can anybody guess what happened ? I can't imagine. After a night's rest, it's still on, but after a day, no problemo anymore ???

Well, thanks for your help everyone.

Rui

P.S. Do you think I should still take it to the garage ?
Old 01 June 2001, 09:18 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i would take it in and get it checked out anyway.

but a bit of info for every one my01 has 2 methods of resetting the ecu 1 way will reset the codes 2 way will reset every thing the ecu has learn't about the way you drive the car.
it seems that this model ecu actually learns the way you drive, to clever by half if you ask me!