Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Radar Detectors" which ones best"

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2001, 06:39 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anybody give me imformation on a decent radar detector,are they reliable,worth it or just an expensive gimmick I've been looking at the Bel,Snooper and Cobra but dont know which!!!!!!!! Has anybody got one?
Budget of £200-£300 new
Cheers
Old 06 April 2001, 06:40 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry could you move this to "general questions" Cheers
Darren
Old 07 April 2001, 12:14 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I agree, Bel 980 and 990 are probably best VFM - good performance and not unfeasibly expensive like the Valentine. I've got a Bel 855, which is pretty good - paid £270 about 12-18 months ago, so maybe cheaper now ?
Old 07 April 2001, 12:34 AM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info i shall look into it
Old 07 April 2001, 07:52 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Are effective, Are worth it, But beware, most sub-200 are poor. IIRC The best out there is the Bel 990, closely followed by the Bel 980. Valantine one come next, but is still stupidly expensive, and bulkier than the Bels.

From my experiance, forget the snooper and cobra models
Old 08 April 2001, 08:45 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Darren

Dont bother

You can be caught a number of ways:

Vascar - Radar wont help you
Gatso - got to be pretty dum not to see them
Laser - Radar normally wont help - by the time it picks up the laser its too late you've been done!

They are a gimmick

If you want soemthing useful get a laser jammer - their legality is ddubious but they work!

Try in the back of mags - I belive Snooper is the one to go for
Old 08 April 2001, 08:52 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fangoria,

I have to disagree. The Bel 980 has saved my liscence a number of times. Gatsos are being hidden more often, and a good detector will help.

Thanks

Sonu
Old 09 April 2001, 08:21 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The "don't exceed the speed limit" model is the only one that works.......
Old 09 April 2001, 08:51 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Forget the snooper range of radar detectors, they are crap imho and experience. I've got the most expensive one can't remember the model no. 815 or something and it's pants..about a 2m(metre) warning for gatso's.. woopee!

I know someone who has a Valentine and it's excellent and there are many happy Bel 980/990 users.

regards
Nito
ps..snooper for sale if anyone wants it
Old 09 April 2001, 09:48 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

I've just spent the weekend with my new toy, the Morpheous Geodesy which, I have to say, did exactly what it says on the tin

Its NOT a detector, it just imforms you of accident blackspots (because kids - thats why the speed cameras are there )using GPS and its own database.

Bear in mind that it only spots FIXED speed cameras, and only if that camera is in its database. You can update the database at anytime, all you need is a phone line.

I wholeheartedly reccommend it, my thinking being that there's fewer traffic cops these days, and theres going to be more fixed cameras now that they are self funding.

IMHO of course

Justin
Old 09 April 2001, 03:05 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Cool

Darren

I agree that the BEL one's are the best. But rather than buy one in the UK, get one from the USA. You can either order on-line direct from the States or pick one up if you or a friend is going over. It may also be possible that one of the American chappies who frequent this BBS may be able to help you. The cost savings are amazing. My all singing and dancing BEL only cost me £170 just before Xmas! Saying all that DON'T SPEED!!!! Also if they are outlawed (AGAIN) I don't own one. Right.

TONY

[This message has been edited by tonybooth (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 07:57 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

I had a Bell 990i and had to send it back because my mobile phone kept setting it off, Bell have now introduced the Euro model, it's as good as the 990i but GSM signals don't affect it. Buy one, it could save your license.
Old 09 April 2001, 09:34 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info chaps,i'll take all this into account
Cheers
DAL
Old 10 April 2001, 12:37 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I thought the American detectors used slightly different frequencies to the European ones ? Therefore not much use over here ?
Old 10 April 2001, 01:26 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

IIRC, I recently heard that the use of equipment that detects police speed detection equipment is going to be made illegal. The new law will specifically dissallow the use of any equipment that detects traps. The police previously used a communications equipment law which related to the interception of messages, until it was pointed out that the (speedtrap) signals being detected were not actually messages.

Moray

Old 10 April 2001, 11:08 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Sonu

I thought by law that for Gatso's there had to be a prior warning - ie Gatso signs before the event!!

Plus I look out for the white lines - they are easier to see than the camera hidden away!

Nito

I said Laser Jammer not detector - I agree Snooper Radar detectors are crap

If u have to go for a radar detectors (
yes they are being made illegal very soon!) then go for the Bel 990 for the money - Valentine is aso excellent but is not worth the xtra

A radar detector has never helped me - more of a gimmick - then again other people have benefitted - depends if your awake while driving!
Old 27 April 2001, 05:10 AM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Cool

I use a 12 or 13 year old Uniden RD9-XL and even though it only detects X and K band, it still saves me a small fortune on a regular basis.

The trick on a trip is cruise at the legal limit EXACTLY until a hot hatch boy racer slingshots past. You then accelerate and sit a mile behind him, letting HIM pick up the uniformed friends. Your detector doesn't need to be cutting edge latest technology if you're driving smart. I've had many a 'radar-foil' speedster catch my ticket for me!

I also find that keeping to the limit in built up areas is a good precaution to both your licence as well as other road users & pedestrians.
Old 27 April 2001, 10:35 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Wink

Radar Detectors are currently legal, however, the DETR is trying to bring in new legislation to ban them again.

If you want some sensible information on speed-trap cameras and deterrant devices I recommend you visit these sites:
Old 27 April 2001, 04:20 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

If radar detectors are to be outlawed just because they can pick up Gatsos, who's to say the detector in your car is there for that purpose? As an IT manager with comms responsibility for a partly mobile workforce, I use mine to determine that mobile phone masts are operational The fact that it picks up Gatsos is purely incidental, as is the case when it picks up traffic lights, automatic door openers, passing motorists using their mobile phones, etc, etc, etc ..... So, for all you traffic light engineers, sliding door engineers, mobile phone engineers .....
Old 29 April 2001, 12:46 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Go for the Gedesy. Had mine 2 weeks v impressed in comparison to my detectors and no problem with legality. Gives loads of notice and will soon have a pc interface to tweak it and give other usability (not sure what!)