Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobymania/Scoobysport/Magnex etc... etc...

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2001, 12:10 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

There's a lot of crap floating around on here about opinions of various systems. I have a Magnex so I will comment on that, It's bloody good value and to a point a pipe is a pipe, it's lifetime guaranteed and stainless, obviously. Other point is that Magnex are an exhaust manufacturer and also part of Micron (race bike pipes)

On the other hand the Scoobysport seems to be more popular and you cant really go wrong with either. More power Egor!!

MB
Old 26 April 2001, 09:13 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the price, but have you tried Mongoose? Should be competitive - they seem to be very effective.

And you can't discount Scorpion if Stefs is anything to go by.
Old 26 April 2001, 12:44 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Question

I'm looking to get hold of a de-cat centre section and a backbox. Everyone initially seemed so keen to sell me their second hand ones but lack of replies to my e-mails and no phone calls seems to suggest that they would rather keep them.

This has led me to search the net for new ones and being on a tight budget i've come up with only a few and was wondering what your opinions were.

The Scoobysport(£411.25 inc vat) seems to be the choice of many but the Scoobymania (£320.00 inc vat) seems to be pretty much the same but at a snip of the price. The Magnex is also another option at a slightly cheaper price than the Scoobymania.

Also instead of sticking to just one company has anybody mixed and matched centres and backs to meet a budget. I'm asking because on another post it says that a company is selling the 4" round (rolled in) Mongoose backbox for £100.00 (how good is this as it seems like a bargain). This with a Scoobymania centre would only be around £160.00.

Your thoughts please. I need guidance.

Maffa

By the way if there is anybody reading this that is selling a second hand system that will actually phone me to sort a deal please feel free, 07949 182919(not always on but leave a message and i'll call back)
Old 26 April 2001, 01:46 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a bpm twin down-pipe, and a hks hiper exhaust, sounds exellent, if you have the money I would go for this setup! As I said it is on wrx sti iv type-r, and it sounds like the rally car, and pops a hell of a lot! I love it.
Old 26 April 2001, 02:31 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Who sells BPM and does it still sound lumpy with the downpipe?

MB

Old 26 April 2001, 02:34 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 26 April 2001, 04:50 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have had a scoobysport for some time, on both my imprezas, and have been evry happy with them.

They sound great and the warranty is flawless.

but then there is always variety. the SM system has a twin dump design similar to the BPM setup and also like bpm is 3 inch all the way through. This diameter is rumoured to produce better gains toward the top of the rev range at the expense of low down torque but many people confirm only the gains and not the losses.

Styling is also somewhat different with the sm being a diagonally cut i believe four inch round tail pipe, whereas the ss is a straight cut rolled in three inch pipe. Both in full stainless steel.

The advantage of the scoobymania kit is without doubt the price, so make a decision.

As regards to a pipe being just a pipe, ask any fluid dynamicist whether or not this is true.

he difference is however more based on the downpipe than the centre section and back box.

It is worth noting that you can mix and match at will as the lengths are all standard, but I would not advise going from 3 inch diameter downstream to 2.5, due to nasty reflections in the pressure waves and disruption of laminar flow.
Old 26 April 2001, 08:49 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I have the scoobymania system on my RB5 and am very happy with it.

The sound is very nice indeed, with the DP on it is quite loud in the cabin at certain speeds and revs but it is excellent.
I have only noticed an increase in performance and no drop in torque or driveability.

Andy
Old 26 April 2001, 09:36 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Question

I've now narrowed it down. I've got the option of a 13month old Scorpion b/b with de-cat centre pipe for £150.00, a 2 month old Scoobysport centre and back for £275.00 and a new Scoobymania for £320.00.

Please help me choose!!!

Maffa

Old 26 April 2001, 09:40 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

MAFFA i have a scooby sport backbox with a magnex centre section,you can save a bit of cash with the magnex centre ,I might not count for much but i had a magnex full on my old car (not a scoob)and part of the system snaped,this bit was'ent covered under the life time guarantee as they brought this part in. tommy,
Old 26 April 2001, 10:38 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

For the couple of Imprezas have I've had/still have - Sport first and then a Turbo for the past two and half years. I got a ScoobySport backbox for the Sport and recently bought a full Scorpion system for the Turbo. I've been impressed by both, but <deep breath> in my opinion the ScoobySport exhaust is not worth the extra outlay.
Consider this, £280 buys a SS BB and £301 buys a Scorpion full system = no brainer for me.
The full system certainly leads to a different car noise and power
Old 26 April 2001, 11:37 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

I like my Prodrive back box, it's the only backbox I've heard that sounds like a jet fighter taking off (although Stef's appears to sound similar in his latest ring trip)

Didn't notice any power gains though. I do like the fact that it's nice and quiet when your not pushing on - are they all like this ?
Old 27 April 2001, 10:19 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Must add that I may have been a touch derogatory to the exhaust.

I am more than happy with it, although currently it is mated up to a scoobysport 2.5 inch mid and downpipe, so sound is not the final version. Does sounds great though, kind of like a divine wind is pushing you up the road as well as the engine .

Very impressive piece of kit to look at. main pipe splits into three which are about a foot long, which then recombine just before the tailpipe. Very pretty to behold, polished stainless with neat weld joins, but then I dont know anything about welding (or anything really) not sure I am keen on BPM lettering in 3D on top of the tail pipe but it might be to some peoples taste.

I only bought it cos I thought it nice tthat someone had gone for a different idea with regard to back boxes.

Greg I am waiting on that patent number so can you please dig it out for me. I would seriously like to know how this thing works (or indeed if it does at all)!
Old 27 April 2001, 12:15 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Have to add that after fitting my bpm twister mk3 back box, let alone full system, that it sounds like a squadron of harrier jumpjets, in a hovering exercise fifty feet above a packed wembley stadium with the prodiy playing at 100k during an earthquake. And that is at idle with the silencing bung in place.

Made the mistake of removing the bung, lets just say, I am glad I can read and write cos phones are out of the question till my ear drum heals.

P.s. anyone want to buy a hifi?

I think I have made my point.
Old 28 April 2001, 06:53 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for all the advice guys. I eventually opted for a Scoobymania centre and back (3" drainpipe). I'm so impressed with the sound. It sound like a TVR with a big block V8 under the bonnet. I can also notice a substantial power increase.

I also like burning past old lady's and watching them squeel (Ha Ha !!!).

Got the K&N Induction arriving on Monday and can't wait.

Maffa