Sponsored by:

What to avoid/look for?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2001, 08:05 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Im currently looking into getting an Impreza Turbo (subject to being able to get it insured of course ) and just wanted some advice - better to ask the people that live with them day to day than a guy trying to flog me one, eh?!

Judging by Parker's price guide, at the moment im looking at around a '98 R (just over £13K for an absolute mint one, £12.5K for a good one etc... according to them - I guess this must be around the right area).

I could perhaps stretch myself a little further and spend a bit more (would depend on insurance etc...) and obviously dont mind a slighty older one.

I just wanted to know if there are any particular model years that were poor, major/minor changes between model year (cosmetic and more technical - I obviously know about the 'brand' new model ), special editions to look for/avoid, colours I should(n't) touch etc...

Although I love the car, Im a bit of a novice about them really, as its fine to read about one in a review, but you dont often hear what ther're like after 30k miles - plus there seems quite a few special editions, rally editions etc...any to look for or steer clear of....?

I suppose, what Im basically asking is what to steer clear of and what to take a closer look at.

Any kind of help would be most appreciated ( and I guess you should be 'diplomatic' so as not to offend anyone who owns a model that you say I should avoid )

John

[This message has been edited by JohnM (edited 26 May 2001).]
Old 26 May 2001, 09:49 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

You will probably get lots of answers to this....

But to put my 2p worth...

I have a 98 turbo, bought 4 months ago (a great 4 months of driving), cost then £14k, average mileage, excellent condition, FSH, from a dealer, Subaru guarantee, etc......

It is a basic turbo, no mods (check this as it will affect your insurence), has the latest interior (interior was updated in 98), proper sports seats (essential in my opinion), and gold alloys (don't tell Pete Lewis, in joke ).

The limited editions are more desirable, the Mcrae edition was earlier (96 I think?) the Catalunya was 97?, the Terzo 98?, the RB5 and 22b are probably too expensive for your budget (and mine). The limited editions are in unique colours, Mcrae is blue, Catalunya is black,Terzo is lighter blue, with extra's.
If you can get a limited edition then probably go for it.

I have heard/ read that there are engine problems with pre 97 cars, and different engine problems with 97/98 cars, don't know the details but so far no problems with mine.......

Hope this is of (limited) help.
Old 26 May 2001, 09:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got an MY95 5dr UK turbo.....

Personally, I wished I could have afforded the 96 model, as the later ones have MUCH better seats, better interior and more BHP (I think upped from 205 to 217 - any further details???)

Most people on here might agree that the Scoob 'attained perfection' in 99....

To be honest though ,they're all BRILL - my next car (won't be for a while though) will be a Scoob - I'm TOTALLY converted

Be prepared for :-

1. Opening an account at you local petrol station - you'll be there an awful lot!!
2. People rubber-necking..... I've had mine for 12 months, STILL can't get over the stares!!
3. Becoming VERY paranoid - rumour has it that these motors are quite desirable
4. Becoming a light sleeper - see above....
5. Having a MASSIVE grin every time you use the 'FAST' pedal

The only hassle I had was with the rear wiper (5dr) and bootlock..... Loom in the tailgate can get quite brittle.....
I looked at WRX import too - a RSr Scoob (had uprated brakes - they DO need them too)
The only guarantee is that if you're buying a used one, it HAS been thrashed, not that it really matters

I was lucky - an old lady had mine before me.....

The other things to look at -
1. Paint work
2. Dents
3. Chipped/cracked lights - v.expensive to replace new......
4. Tyres - a new set will cost roughly £400.... and yes, you need to change 'em all
5. Colour-wise, most popular is DBM (Deep Blue Mica) and Silver Mica. Red bodywork doesn't fade, well not as bad as the scoop and vents!!!
6. After 30K miles, still as good - mine's coming up to 75K - still scares the **** out of me!
7. Big services (UK dealers) are extortionate
Big one is at 47K - roughly £500. 75K is £300ish....
8. Insurance - hmmm.... most are asking for CAT 1 AND trackers...
9. ICE - All standard head units are crap. Same goes for speakers.... MY97 onwards has tweeter enclosures in the front doors (behind the side mirrors)

I'm sure others will give you better info than I can ,but feel free to look round my website (look in my profile) there's some Scoob bits. Same goes for the email

Hope this helps - and ENJOY!!!!!!

Dan
Old 27 May 2001, 01:22 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Richard, your're 555 posts, cool

Who's your insurance with? My best qoute is £1200 and I'm 24 with no points

Bob

PS welcome John, I haven't got a scoob yet either!
Old 27 May 2001, 07:58 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

John - Parkers seems a little on the high side. For 13k you would be able to get a MY99, which with the near identical MY00) are recognised as being the best of the 'classic' shape

If you want to go non UK car, then the options open up enormously. An EU import is same as a UK car, you won't get the full warrenty, and certain other smaller bits don't come as standard, but most owners will have added them anyway. Go for a Jap import and the grin will get bigger still

Example - I have a good friend who is selling his 2 year old STi4. A whole host of extras, including over 2 grands worth of 'serious' stereo (he is a nightclub owner and ex-record producer - when I say serious, I mean serious ) 17" wheels, ECU, exhaust, induction kit etc, dyno'd at over 320 bhp No expense spared on it, beautiful car. He will be looking in a similar price region!

choices I would see are

UK MY99 - safe, UK warrenty/back-up etc
EU MY99 - not really worth it, owners won't sell at low price, so not VFM at 2 years old
STI - Max thrills, Max fun, Max grin - but more risk unless UK owned since new, and an owner you know/trust
Old 27 May 2001, 11:25 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yup, I'm with Gary - look at Sti's too if you want the ultimate

Mail me offline and we can discuss. I have a lot of buying experience.

Mike
Old 27 May 2001, 12:23 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dan and Steve!

So basically I need to get as later model as possible really - post 98 really to get a better interior, couple more BHP etc....preferably 99 if I can rob a bank or sumfink, eh .... Is that about right?

thanks for your help guys (and if anyone else has any info ) - shall keep you
informed.

edit - slightly off at a different tangent - the only 4x4/AWD...etc...type thing Ive ever driven is a a new Porker 911 C4. However, that was no quicker than 60/70mph, pretty much in a straight line and only for about 15 minutes! Plus, id imagine, a completely different thing alltogether..... The other 'performance' cars Ive driven have been RWD.
Ive seen photos and threads about how some of you guys go to track days and stuff - sound good. But is there a bit more of a 'watered down' version for an absolute novice driver (novice scooby driver that is!! ) I dont want to ruin my car (if i get one.....)by being out of my depth, or even ruin someone elses car and day out.

Last bits not as important, just thought of it. But any info would be great..

[This message has been edited by JohnM (edited 27 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JohnM (edited 27 May 2001).]
Old 27 May 2001, 12:56 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

......JohnM - welcome to the bbs - if you haven't done so already try
Old 27 May 2001, 07:48 PM
JohnM
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys !

One more thing, I take it UK dealers will only carry UK cars, right?

Just had a look at the local Scooby dealer (K T Green nr Otley, Leeds) and they had a silver S reg Turbo up for £17995. I couldnt quite see the details on the info card but as far as I could tell it was stock. This seems a bit high - got some extras on it or is this just the markup the dealers put on 'em?

John

(who really wants to go and get one RIGHT now )
Old 28 May 2001, 08:58 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JohnM:
<B>Cheers guys !

One more thing, I take it UK dealers will only carry UK cars, right?

Just had a look at the local Scooby dealer (K T Green nr Otley, Leeds) and they had a silver S reg Turbo up for £17995. I couldnt quite see the details on the info card but as far as I could tell it was stock. This seems a bit high - got some extras on it or is this just the markup the dealers put on 'em?

John

(who really wants to go and get one RIGHT now )[/quote]

Yes 18k for a standard S-reg (probably MY98) is taking the ****. Some dealers are still living in the past with residual values (unless they are buying of course )