Scoobysport DP

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2001, 08:09 AM
zippo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A question:

Having entrusted my local garage to fit my SS downpipe, they seem to have lost the plot.
They removed the old CAT downpipe (after 3hours @ £45 per hour!). Having removed the 'CAT of Fire' sensor, they can't understand what the 14mm hole at the top of the new downpipe is for and neither can I.
The Lamda sensor plugs in before the downpipe I think so what is this hole for and how do I plug it?

Any ideas for my poor local garage - please.

Old 13 January 2001, 11:55 AM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Zippo

The 14mm hole is the Lambda sensor hole for the later cars. I had the same prob. with my 94 WRX.

With my car the sensor is in the manifold. I talked to Scoobysport who said that the cat sensor can be disconnected as you don’t have a cat any more and that they weld the hole up for their customers. They then advised me to put in a 14mm spark plug (as they are fairly gas tight ).

Hope this helps

Yee

PS you will have to cut some metal out of the heat shild before you put it back on as the exit from the turbo will be a lot bigger now.

Old 14 January 2001, 01:12 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Hey Yee - how's the full Scoobysport system running on your car ? Any comments from the neighbours on noise levels ?

Zippo - hope everthing goes in smoothly mate!

DazV
Old 15 January 2001, 03:17 PM
zippo
Scooby Regular

Daz

Had the downpipe fitted today and after a few initial problems, it's excellent. In the 30 mins it has been on I have noticed several 'FOR SALE' signs appear at the front of some houses in my area! The pickup is so much better and the baby just pulls hard all the way to the limit.

What to do next?
Old 16 January 2001, 07:08 PM
Alex Clydesdale
Scooby Regular

My 94 STi appears to have two cats, so ill be fitting scoobysport downpipe and centre section - but I cant understand why there is a sensor in the manifold and a sensor in the first cat! I take it that the one in the manifold (just behind the bottom of the drivers side of the radiator) is some kind of flow sensor and should just be left alone.
Are you supposed to fit the cat sensor into the hole in the SS downpipe?
Please write if you know anything! cheers, Alex.
Old 17 January 2001, 06:00 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Alex

AFAIK, none of the STi's have cats in the centre (certainly the newer ones) - they're resonators. Been wrong before though....

Richard
Old 17 January 2001, 10:38 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys!

The location in the headers is for the lambda sensor, but due to a number (significant number) of sensor heater element failures due to them getting a bit of a roasting down there, Subaru moved the sensor into the downpipe. The SS DP is designed to take the Lambda sensor in the "new" location, the hole may just be plugged (as already mentioned, a spark plug will do fine).

The sensor behind the cat is a temp sensor, and will illuminate the "cat on fire" light in the dash if it gets too hot indicating a cat failure. This won't be needed with the SS downpipe.

If feeling brave, the IC support bracket may be "adjusted" with an angle grinder to allow the lambda sensor to be mounted in the downpipe, which is a "better" place for it to be, then the hole that's left in the manifold may be plugged with, you guessed it, a spark plug :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 17 January 2001, 11:30 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

We have had some stainless steel bolts made to plug the lambda hole, for earlier cars.

All DP's for earlier cars will be supplied with these now.
Old 17 January 2001, 02:59 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Question

Pete
How much are the plugs??

Cheers

Yee
Old 17 January 2001, 06:15 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Question

Hmmm, this is interesting... I fitted a Scoobysport downpipe to my what I condider to be an 'early' car, a UK my95, and the Lambda sensor was located in the same position in the downpipe as the Scoobysport pipe . Not really a contribution to the thread but after reading the replies when did Subaru change the design then?? Or was it just the early jap spec cars that had the sensor in the headers?

Just out of interest you understand. I'm bored and still at work!!
Old 19 January 2001, 12:34 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Is there any problems fitting your downpipe to a MY99 with PPP ?

My local scooby dealer said they couldn't join the centre to the downpipe properly and it ended up 'passing' as they say.

Zippo,

Glad you like it mate - I miss my downpipe so much now, I need to get another!

DV

Old 19 January 2001, 01:38 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Daz

Good to see you are coming out of that period of insanity and are putting a back on.

The sound on my car is excellent with the full Scoobysport system – I love driving round Multi Stories now (with the windows down feeling the sound). Why you took it off and sold it to me will remain a mystery.

I don’t know if the neighbours like it, but then I didn’t ask them either.

Cheers
Yee
Old 19 January 2001, 03:22 PM
zippo
Scooby Regular

Daz

Best £150 ever spent(apart from the trip I took to Madame Spank in ...err never mind)

The car is totally transformed and a nice little turbo whistle aswell.

Cheers mate

Zippo