Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Changed my MAF today...

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 11:41 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons for changing MAF:

1) The idle needle droped right down to zero and then back to 700/800 revs, and it did it every time i start the car and occasionaly when coming to a stop at traffic lights. It doesn't have irratic idle but just dips the once.

2) After having my clutch changed (6 months ago) the car had never felt right, i dont have any monitoring devices,(other than KL) so i just had a nagging feeling it wasn't right.
It felt as though the car gave up at around 4k revs and just wouldnt pull as it did before. I didnt suspect it to be the clutch as it didnt slip or anything and suspected something to do with the electronics.

I cleaned the MAF and this seemed to make a slight difference, cleaned the boost solenoid and that made no difference.

After 1 month of having ordered a new MAF i finally got one today costing £260

Having fitted the new MAF the car drives so much better... its alot more responsive on acceleration and has power right through the rev range... had me grinning

I read on here by having the clutch changed the battery would be disconected and this reset the ECU which would have learnt the failing MAF sensor readings?

I still have the idle problem though... anyone got any ideas asto what this could be? having read other threads i'm suspecting Lambda sensor?

Thought i'd say my findings cos i promised someone on here that i would
Old 10 December 2003, 11:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
£260!!!!!!!!!!!

I flippin hope yours ain't a my00!!!!!!!11
Old 10 December 2003, 11:51 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

No mate,its an MY98 Import... tried a Uk MAF i got for free but it started poping and banging and the rev needle whent haywire! i had to buy the complete housing instead of just the sensor you can get for the later models...
Old 10 December 2003, 11:52 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, for me anyway!!
Old 10 December 2003, 11:56 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Old 11 December 2003, 12:44 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

where did u buy it from?

Old 11 December 2003, 09:23 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

stickymicky, bought the MAF from subaru dealers mate.
Old 11 December 2003, 09:58 AM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?
Franko - Alrite M8

I've been toying with getting a new MAF (in the same boat as you - STi Import - silly money for MAF!!!) My car seems to pull alrite although it makes you a bit paranoid doesnt it!

I have this idle problem, usually when i've kept constant speed ie Motorway (altough occasionally in traffic) drops to about 700 then steady away after that - never hunts.

Anyways, I have been told that it COULD be the Idle Control Valve. Do a search on here coz the MAF and O2 sensors get a lot of stick when it isn't always their fault. I have quikcly sprayed some carb cleaner into this before and it has been a lot better.

if you want to discuss some more email me at martypjackson@hotmail.com and i'll give you my mobile no. - might be worth us meeting up at some point to see if the symtoms are the same!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 11 December 2003, 10:50 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i thought the subaru dealers wouldnt order parts for JDM cars?
Old 11 December 2003, 11:19 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Franko, Mine does the same, Dips to almost 0 then back to normal - no hunting and does it only once when pulling up at junctions.
I was told this was due to VTA dump Valve and if I changed back to recirc it would be Ok, Yet to try this though. £260 for MAF
Oh, MY 95 UK

Big Daz
Old 11 December 2003, 01:42 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?
I know wot ur saying mate. £260 for a MAF, feels like they are pulling your pants down!!!
Old 11 December 2003, 02:08 PM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

I also have the same problem, with the idle dropping when the car comes to a halt, once its warmed up. It does not hunt and the only other thing I noticed is the exhaust smells rich when stationary.

I also cleaned out the boost solenoid and MAF which did make it run better and smoother but the idle problem remained.

My garage checked the lamda sensor and said it was 'slow to cycle' - dont know what that means - and said they would check it again at the next service as it may require replacement soon.

Anyone know how much the lamda is for a MY95WRX import and where to get them from?

Old 12 December 2003, 02:07 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Some people get Lambda from 'Halfrauds' (as J4ck5on says ) for around £25.

BigDaz, My motor did the dip thing when i had the original recirc valve, so not too sure if it would make a difference but ya never know

StickyMicky, some subaru dealers may not get parts for imports, mine does though

J4CK5ON, Thanks for all the info and advice mate mucho appreciated, i'll do a search on idle control valve tonight (at work and busy) will mail you once hotmail decides to work again! would be great to meet up and see how dirty your car really is lol (Alan keeps saying) if possible we meet by sunday cos insurance ends and cars going into hybernation
Old 12 December 2003, 03:04 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Franko

No worries m8

If you want we can meet later 2nite if you want coz my girlfriend has blown me out for Justin Timberlake!!!! Wots he got that I haven't aprart from good looks, $$$$millions, and Cameron Diaz as his girlfriend!!! So as you can see there is no contest!!

Going back to what I was saying though, if you want to meet up later just let me know!!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 12 December 2003, 05:35 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

J4CK50N

Women eh?!

I'm at work till late tonight, i'm not sure of what time i'm gona finish (the joys of being self-employed) the way things are i probably fin at 12ish by which time i'll be fecked and wanting my bed.At work tomorow morning, Hows tomorow evening sound?
Old 12 December 2003, 06:46 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I have had the same problem with my car Franko. I have having the MAF changed (£220 for a J-reg Legacy Turbo!!!) plus the fuel filter, panel filter (TSL Blue coloured 'Green' filter) and oil change. I hope that it makes things better. By the way 'TSL MOTORSPORT ARE TOP!!! I ordered the Panel filter yesterday lunchtime and just as they said I got it today...nice one.

Aaquil
Old 12 December 2003, 07:32 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Got the same idle prob. Xtreme scoobies experimented with a new MAF and 02 and it wasnt that. Suspect its the ISCV. Got a CEL come on the other day, so will get the select monitor on there and see what it is.

Check for any vac leaks too.

MB
Old 12 December 2003, 09:12 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Franko

No worries bout 2nite bruv! I'll just bob down the pub and see some of my mates. Can't drink though - got a match to play in 2moz and you get fined if you've been drinking the night before.

2moz night possibly, depends what my other half is up to coz its her best mates b'day! If I can sneak away I will and meet up. If not possibly Sun afternoon after I've played in another game!!!!

I'll email you my mob number and then you can give us a call.

R u gonna pop over to the Fenay Bridge Meet next Thurs? You'll be more than welcome whether the Scoob is on the road or not!!!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 13 December 2003, 07:41 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Franko,

Dont bin the old knackered MAF, Ill give you a 'beer and post' for it as I have a link ecu on my 98STI that doesnt need one.

I would like an old one to modify without the sensor, just for the miniscule extra airflow it would provide

I want to keep my original one to give to the next owner, with all the other 'original parts'.
Old 13 December 2003, 10:34 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

J4CK5ON

Thanks for the sound advice mate, YHM

HOL,

Sorry old MAF's already been taken by a M8 who runs a small scooby breakers yard... is it an import size MAF body your after or a uk one? (import ones have a larger body) dont think mine would have been much use to you cos the lip where the pipe clips onto, on one side of the body had broke.Cliped on but dodgy! I'f its a uk one you need i could ask him if he's got one... or let ya know when/if he gets a broke import one.
Old 14 December 2003, 10:21 AM
scoobynson
Scooby Regular

Franco Dewsbury will be a quiet place with out your rumble!
if you want a lift to Fenay , no probs m8 just let me know
Old 14 December 2003, 11:50 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Scoobynson,

Thanks mate, i think i've got a leak at where the turbo bolts onto the exhaust, one problem after the other, glad its going into storage then i can get all my gauges,FMIC, and little problems sorted and back on road in a couple of months.

Thank you for offering me a lift to fenay bridge, mucho appreciated problem is i never know what time i'm geting away from work, (thought being self employed you could do what you want AINT TRUE! ) if i finish in time i'll make way down

Cheers

Franko
Old 14 December 2003, 07:23 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Franko,

Mines an STI V4 so the Uk one wont fit.

No probs though, as I can make a connector from the pipe to the filter, when I can be bothered.
Old 15 December 2003, 08:46 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Franko

Soz that the fone was off yesterday mate. Tried to get ur number of the 1471 but soome1 else had phoned so your number was gone.

I dont normally turn it off but it had to leave it in the car!

Call us back whenever mate (or anytime up to midnight!!!)

Cheers J4CK50N
PS - heres the car!! In its dirty state!!