Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Am I detting?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 06:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys.Im getting one green light on the KL.I've never really bothered about one before but its the character of it thet worries me a little.On my old Type R one green used to come on and often stay on at high revs.On the 7 I'm getting the green on at as little as 4krpm.It also flicks on and off.It often coincides with the point just after I floor the throttle and the boost peaks.I d'ont really have boost spikes.In terms of boost,I barely hold 1bar in 2nd and max held boost anywhere is about 1.25bar(soon to be turned up).Is this det?
STi7,Walbro,full exhaust,uprated plugs,Ecutek always Optimax and at least 50mls of NF per tank.
Old 14 March 2003, 07:04 PM
EMS
Scooby Regular

If the KL is at max. sensivity, all the lights are on if the car is detting. You can easily test if itīs det or not: let the car rev in 2nd gear at very little throttle, what you see now at your KL is due to engine noise. You could reduce sensivity so you see only one green light at little throttle.

If itīs detting you see more than 1 light! Itīs like an X-mas tree then.

Mark.
Old 14 March 2003, 07:20 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

One green light.. are you serious Deep....

Thats nothing more than engine noise

I regularly get one to two lights.. and thats just with normal driving on the Motorway

Now and again you get a bad batch of fuel and at times I've had all lights on.. thats when you know to completely back off until you've done a few miles so you can put in some more Optimax

But at one green light.. I would'nt lose any sleep over it all all.. engine noise and normal

Now if you were'nt getting any green lights then I'd be worried because the KL probably would not have been set up correctly...everyone gets green lights.. its the orange and red one you need to be worried about!

Old 15 March 2003, 04:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes it is set to max sensitivity.Steve,was'nt trying to be a big girls blouse its just the character of the light coming on that was different to my old Type R that like yours had one or two greens on all the time at high motorway speeds.I'll forget about it then.
Old 15 March 2003, 06:01 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Come on... we all know your a big girls blouse really

[Edited by steve McCulloch - 3/15/2003 6:01:39 PM]
Old 16 March 2003, 06:25 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Deep, funny you should mention this cos this is exactly the character I see in my KL as well. (STI7 RA JDM MY01)

If on light throttle, very light KL activity till 5500-6000rpm where the engine noise causes 1 Green to come on, sometimes steady sometimes intermittent.

But WOT from 3000rpm, about 50% of the time the first green comes on as the boost hits max at 4000rpm. Before I had the Aquamist 1s kit, it could even be a flash up to 2 Greens, which then died off.
After the 1s install, its just 1 green maybe 30% of the time. In the 8 weeks or so that I've had the 1s, I've seen the 2 Greens twice, both intermittently.

Another local chap here who runs an identical car to mine, save for a decat and an EBC, says that if he winds up the boost to 1.3bar he sees amber "more often than not". Our local temps here are 26-32degC, and fuel is premium 98RON. Both our KLs sensors are mounted on the block, and sensitivity is max.

I don't really know what to make of all this. But as said before, I don't think I'll lose too much sleep over 1 green. Seems like all of us get it on the STI7. If you're worried, run a 1s setup for extra protection, esp on those hot days.

Old 16 March 2003, 04:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi RT.I'm waiting to fit my fmic,that should provide an extra safety buffer.As everyone has said though I'm sure its nothing to worry about.Btw,I'll be experiencing your high ambient temps soon as I'll be in Kuala Lumpar next month!
Old 16 March 2003, 06:49 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

4k-4k5 is the region of highest VE for the engine, so is the part that takes the least advance. Booting it can (very briefly) feed less fuel into the system, so not help. And also I believe that it is possible to change the load quick enough that the ECU doesn't quite adjust (retard in this case) fast enough, so you end up with say 14deg instead of 12deg occassionaly, which will make a bit more noise than usual (heading towards det), but 1 green?
You big girl's blouse, you