Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe and Det

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 02:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As some may know i'm considering a downpipe for the blackbeast (MY94 WRX Wagon) and have one other question.

Would fitting the downpipe cause increased det? i don't have a knocklink, I know, I know, i *should* have one, but I don't ok! Seem to recall reading something yestaerday that as the downpipe frees up things a bit it could mean higher det.

Is this crap? or should i be worried. i would like a DP but not at the expense of det and a new engine.

Oh, and the car runs on 95 RON + broquet, so if set was a problem with a DP then would going up to 97 + RON help out?
Old 16 October 2001, 03:11 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's more chance of it happening with an import than a Euro spec car, 'cos they were originally mapped for Japanese 100RON - I wouldn't consider it unless you move to SUL and fit a knocklink.

On a PPP'ed euro car I (& others) notice the ecu backing off the ignition to protect against det at boost peaks (one thing the downpipe will increase ) - your ecu's map range is already probably eating into it's safety margin due to the use of NUL. If it hits the end of it's range you'll get det....

Of course - I may be talking pants.....

Richard