Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY01 Dowpipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 03:23 PM
met
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice please, re the fitting of a downpipe to MY01, it will have TSL Centre & TSL Back, with Scooby Sport Downpipe, i know that various data will have to be deleted as well as someother O2 mods etc, will the downpipe mod affect the longterm running & reliability or any other probs re the rnuning of the car? anyone else on here had a full system fitted & any associated probs?
Old 13 November 2002, 04:13 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Met

Changing out the downpipe will give you a Check Engine Light and an error code PO420 - basically it is checking for the efficiency of the cat in the downpipe and reporting that it is not working . As you say, a fix box can be added to overcome the problem, either from Scoobysport (the posh type) or Pony Express (cheaper in concept and cost!).

As for reliability, I'd say be careful. The problem that you might encounter, particularly if you raise your boost, is failure of the uppipe cat and possibly it fugging the turbo if bits fall off it. Probably a good idea to get rid of the uppipe cat as well as / instead of the downpipe one. Talk to Scoobysport and TSL respectively for more info on their opinions - the latter have reported problems with the temperature sensor on full decats and tend to suggest leaving a cat in the system.

Duncan

PS Fully decatted over 10,000 loud miles ago.
Old 13 November 2002, 04:39 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Bugeyed

We have seen no reliability problems at all with this kit and have fitted downpipes and OBDII fixes to over 500 new age cars.

We have seen a total of 3 EGT failures, 1 on a car with a full decat and 2 on totally standard EU cars that we service. The sensors were replaced and they have not failed again.
Old 13 November 2002, 08:35 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

what happens when the EGT sensor fails? (and where is it located?)

Piers LoFi
Old 13 November 2002, 08:43 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

My EGT sensor failed.

Burned out completely after 5-6k miles.

New sensor fitted and seems okay for the time being.

Whats £40 every 6k miles for an extra 40 bhp ?

Nathan..
Old 13 November 2002, 09:32 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Piers - the EGT is located in a bung half way up the up-pipe. When it fails, the CEL comes on.

A far as I am aware, it is there to check you aren't endangering the up-pipe cat by overheating it - only used to answer "is there a problem?" not to adjust fuelling or anything. Therefore, with a de-cat it's fairly pointless. I believe in the USA many people do a CEL fix on the EGT sensor. All you need to do is unplug it, and put a 2.2k resistor across the multiplug, and the engine management will be happy.

All IMHO, don't quote me etc!
Old 13 November 2002, 09:38 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hades,

thanks, currently have the OEM up-pipe on the floor after going to full de-cat last week and I did wonder what the hole was for. Glad to hear the car wont go into limp mode.

Piers LoFi