Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MAF AND A PIPERCROSS YOU DECIDE !

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 06:20 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Recently had me car 99 5door prodrived, sorry to keep harpin on anyone who has seen a similar entry by me !!
car had a scoobysport exhaust an pipercross induction on, had to take em off to standardise the car so they could prodrive it!
since i got it back it keeps stalling when idle !
subaru an prodrive say its me MAF
they go on futher to pass the buck back to me stating that the pipercross 'obviously' damaged the MAF (even though it worked fine until it was prodrived !
SO
1) will i cause any bother if i fit the pipercross back on an see if the MAF works ok with the increased air intake? will it 'blow' the prodrive ecu ?
2) should i just fork out £70 to subaru an get a new MAF... IF it is that in the first place ?
HELP needed from all you scoobybrains out there !
Old 04 November 2002, 06:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once its fooked its fooked... you wont blow the ecu by changing it back, but tell them to fooking sort it as it worked until they got hold of it..

David
Old 04 November 2002, 07:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Well its a hard choice but sometimes a MAF failure can lead to engine failure (very rare though) so 70 quid v 5k
MY99 onwards have sensitive MAF's (phase 2 engine'd cars) so induction/airfilters are not recommended (but some say that the K&N goes well with them) so basically its up to you what you wish to do.

Tony
Old 04 November 2002, 07:47 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

thanks tony but im spose subaru wins the day by gettin more o my hard earned !!
Old 05 November 2002, 08:43 AM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Hello,

My used to have a KN57i-kit fitted.
After lots of worries about warnings with blown engines, I decided to take it of and go back to standard filter.
Last maintenance the Sub had it's MAF-sensor replaced just to be sure.
I read in your topic that you have to pay 70 pounds for a new MAF-sensor.
I had to pay €30 ex VAT for a new one.....

That's a difference in price.....

If I were you, I had the MAF replaced.....

Grtz

Hans
Old 05 November 2002, 11:42 AM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

£30 exc vat where did you get it from ????
Old 05 November 2002, 01:46 PM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

no no misunderstanding in signs....
not 30 pounds but 30 Euro's ex VAT(BTW in The Netherlands)....

I bought it just from my dealer in the Netherlands....

Grtz

Hans
Old 05 November 2002, 03:13 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Fitted a Pipercross induction kit to a 99(version 5) RB5 WR (PPP)

MAF sensor died after 2 weeks......fitted new one which has survived a while now.........I love the induction kit but if another MAF sensor goes, I'll have to ditch it as that's beyond coincidence.

Replacement MAF sensor cost me £101 from Graham Goode (for sensor only, to fit existing "pipe") Subaru wanted just under £300 for a pipe with sensor fitted. Very interested to know where you can get one for under £100...........
Old 05 November 2002, 04:10 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

OK, it may be pure coincidence...

I'd hate to attribute something to something else that is totally unrelated. But.

I killed 3 MAF sensors in 3 months time with a Pipercross.

It could be one of these funny "coincidence" type of things, but somehow I doubt it.

Don't ask me why, I am not sure. I thought it would have been vibration related (rather than filtering) but people who are more knowledgeable than me told me it is not related to vibration.

I now have another setup, and although it is not safe either, I didn't have a problem in the last 6 months.

In short: I have my suspicions about the PX, but I can't prove them, other than through my personal experience.
Old 05 November 2002, 06:17 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I've been running an HKS RSK on my MY00 for over a year now and no problems at all

Jake
Old 06 November 2002, 12:02 AM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

hmmm... I went through 3 (or was it 4?) mafs with the Pipercross too.

IMHO it was down to filtering and not vibration.
Old 06 November 2002, 08:40 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I thought it was known that the Pipercross on the newer Film type MAF are not a good combination and they can cause them to fail?

Jake, interesting because a friend of mine had 3 MAF's fail within about 5000 miles on the HKS RSK and I'm sure there was a thread a while back with a bunch of people having the same problem. Have you had your car on a Select Monitor/DeltaDash to check that the MAF is not reading lean? It doesn't always make the car run bad as I think Theo found out.....

Matt
Old 06 November 2002, 09:02 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Matt, to be clear, fortunately my engine never failed.

The three MAFs that went boom failed instantly/totally, i.e. engine just stops running, CEL, face to windscreen, game over, 0 volts.

But I did find indeed that other MAFs from other cars that I tried on mine (to get going again, Subaru Benelux was sold out on MAFs at the time) were far from optimal (judging on the LambdaLink), and that seemed to be unrelated to filters (OEM or otherwise).

Also noticed difference in readings between *new* MAF's as well. Finally there's the calibration issue, and it's a bit of a gamble how the MAF will read with the various aftermarket induction kits. So far the MacsPower/GGR STi trumpet kit gave the least "scewing" (best results) compared to OEM filterbox but alas doesn't want to live together with a Pace FMIC

The first MAF blew about a week after I had fitted the PX (luckily I was in Spain at the time ), the second one a month later, the third one 3 weeks later. Then bought a few spare MAFs from Wrexy, and throughout the various incarnations of my intake design the first one of those is still on my car.

If it fails again, I'll chase Mark EMS to try out a Hitachi MAF which is supposedly better built. Since you can alter MAF calibration with EcuTek, it might be worth a shot.
Old 06 November 2002, 09:17 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

well subaru have got to the bottom of me problem of a stalling car it was of course the bleedin maf ! they said my pipercross probably did the damage,...even though it never stalled with the piper cross for 15 months and only developed probs 30 miles after getting prodrived !!
as far as cost goes they are about £ 55-00 plus vat so all out at bout £67 ish thats from subaru themselves
paul
Old 07 November 2002, 08:20 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Theo,

I know your car didn't blow and that at least some of your MAF's gave up the ghost completely (which TBH is the best way). What I was trying to warn against is that often, when the MAF is on the way out, there are no warning signs and the car just runs lean and eventually will blow up. But I don't need to tell you this 'cos you know it already

Matt