Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes Device P1

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 11:53 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can the above be fitted to a P1 my00 and will it give the same improvements as it would for a Uk my00???

Would it be a cheap alternative to travelling hundreds of miles to get a Tek2 ecu for 700 odd quid???
Old 17 October 2002, 12:04 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nothing to do with dawes but ain't it funny, you're a Pickle with a P1 and I'm a Mickle with a P1

(p.s Heard Dawes and P1's don't mix, you don't go spending all that money on a P1 and then do a bodge job to get more power out of it, what if it goes bang! If you're gonna do the job do it properly, knock link, lamda link, boost gauge, boost controller. Just my thoughts).
Old 17 October 2002, 01:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not safe.
Old 17 October 2002, 06:22 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

What the Pickle Mickle thing john? Anyway it all depends on the car. If its running rich'ish i don't see the problem. Or if you're using it just to lessen spool up time and using the same boost then it should be okay.
Old 17 October 2002, 07:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running lean is not the only cause of det, although the P1 is quite lean during spool up. Even more so when you pull in the turbo lower down like a Dawes does. In addition, the faster rate of boost rise alone is a risk for detonation. The ignition is too advanced to mess about. Even the standard car is pulling out plenty of timing from the base map. The Dawes will flatten the boost curve so it will taper much less if at all at the top. The amount of ignition timing in the map for this is inappropriate unless you have done specific work to minimise det. Asking for holes in pistons IMHO, UNLESS you are prepared (and know what you are looking for) to monitor with knock detection devices, AFR, EGT and carefully set up the boost control, which to do properly without excessive risk requires knowledge and practice.

It does not cease to amaze me how little the average Impreza driver is tuned into the sounds of their engine. What is obvious detonation some do not hear at all even when you point it out to them.

Tuning Japanese imports (and I deliberately include the P1 since the ECU is virtually identical to the STi 5 and 6 and the only real difference is a Broquet catalyst good as it is...) is not a job for your average amateur tinkerer there is too much at stake. If this sounds elitist then fine, but a boost increase on an inappropriate map is plain foolish unless you really know what you are doing. Of course I sell ECUs and would say that, but on the other hand, I have no worry about people putting Dawes on a MY99/00 UK car in comparison and positively encourage it to be done DIY

[Edited by john banks - 10/17/2002 8:00:42 PM]
Old 17 October 2002, 11:05 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

It does not cease to amaze me how little the average Impreza driver is tuned into the sounds of their engine. What is obvious detonation some do not hear at all even when you point it out to them.
Hehe its the same with going to the doctor and ignoring the advice where they say that smoking is bad. When the doctor wants to x-ray them to see what the source of the cough is, they decline to be checked for fear of finding out something is wrong with their body.

I know exactly what you mean about it by the way. But don't engineers always cater for the lowest common denominator in terms of customers (no offense), especially when it comes to fuelling? Cars are normally deliberately designed to break down only after a few years, not weeks. Surely those boffins at Subaru HQ would take into account that customers will mod their cars.

But yeah, I'm in agreement with you btw about people tuning their cars without knowing whats happening exactly.
Old 17 October 2002, 11:54 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Pickle, if your going to 'play' with a P1, fit Knocklink first, see what's going on, then make your decisions.

My view?... don't do it m8.

TTM
Old 18 October 2002, 12:06 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanx for the replies, but looks like if I'm gonna do any more modifying, then it will be the Ecutek Tek3, or similar, or probably leave it well alone!! Can't believe modifying a car could be so difficult!! (And expensive!)
Old 18 October 2002, 06:56 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the nightmare Pickle.