Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tek 2 ........Again

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 09:13 PM
P20SPD@Home
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Right, most will know of my ever decreasing feelings of the tek2 i put in around the begining of July.

Well i have now received another one to try. Hopefully this will show the same sort of performance that the 1st one did in its 1st week.

We shall see, and keep you informed.
Old 21 August 2002, 10:09 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Good Luck!
Old 21 August 2002, 10:12 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'll be keeping an eye out for your updates m8

Hope you get it sorted, be interesting to see if this does cure your problem...hope for your sake it does

Old 22 August 2002, 09:03 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Ok driven to work this morning, left at about 6:45 so pretty cool air. Just short of 50 miles in total, spread over approx 1 hour.

1st off coming out of village from 40 limit, it puller a bit better in 4th than it has done for ages, and full boost seemed to be reached by about 2600rpm, so 200 revs lower.

Had a little run ing with a citreon xsara vts just left it in 5th from sort of 60mph upwards to well into 3 figures *cough*. Got bored of following him after about 5 miles, up and down from 50 to 60, so on one straight when he was going for it i just put my foot down in 5th from about 100 and it just picked up and went as if he was stood still. He flashed and acknowledged afterwards.

I would like to stress that i know these roads very well and there was no other traffic except me and him, the minute i came accross traffic my test was over, pootled along at 50mph.

All the way to work it just felt that little bit smoother, not much, but enough. I could go back to leaving in 4th gear around the Leeds inner ring road and there was no juddering or hesitation when pulling from 30 to 40, it sat there comfortably.

So, so far it seems to be a marginal improvement over the other one.

Will keep you posted.

MD hows the new job going??
Old 22 August 2002, 01:39 PM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

Question

I am thinking of fitting a Tec2, to replace the Tec1 I have got.
I missed the earlier posts in this series, could you please give me your impressions of the thing? Was it worth the finacial outlay?
Is it an improvement in torque or BHP, or both and how much? etc etc, Many thanks in anticiaption......!
Old 22 August 2002, 01:47 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Right, trying to cut a long story short, here goes.
The 1st week i had the tek2 on it was truly amazing. Pulled really well in any gear, so much drivabily.
Then it started to die off gradually, but noticeable. Changed MAF, no difference. Tried new Lambda sensor, no difference. Checked the housing of the induction was same size as the intake tube where the maf sits, it was, so not that. Adjusted actuator, helped it keep boost.

Lost patience with it so here we are.

With the current spec of the car, i would guess at around 260-270bhp, not sure on torque but you can tell the diff.

If i were to recomend it, which i would, it would be with this caviat. Dont buy the off the shelf one, get it done specific to your car, ie go to PE, John Banks, Bob Rawle, etc and get it done by them for your car.

I dont car now cause its going to have to be remapped for the uprated fuel pump, FMIC, uprated turbo, etc.
Old 22 August 2002, 02:38 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Now had the Tek 2 for approx 5 months and 7200miles..........

Only issue to report is overboosting in cold weather caused by me adding a larger intercooler to the car afterwards. I will be going to Tek3 when that weather returns and if the symptoms persist....

Have used DeltaDash 6 times to check so far, and the boost only varies between 16.2 to 16.8 PSI at the same rpm markers, dependant on the weather I guess.

J

J
Old 22 August 2002, 02:48 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Was yours off the shelf or done in conjuction with rolling road? Where did you buy yours from?

I have done approx 3500 miles in my month and a half so enough to get my verdict.

I am not saying its crap or i would not have it on my car, i just think it needs to be done specifically for your own car, IMHO.
Old 22 August 2002, 03:12 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Mine was the 2nd car to be used to fine tune the "off the shelf" TEK2. I believe Steve's car was the main deveolpemnt car. So I my Tek2 was fitted to my car and tested on rolling road a number of times. All done by Ecutek & P.E.

J

Old 22 August 2002, 03:35 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

P20SD

Have you tried borrowing a standard ECU (I presume you returned yours for the Tek2) and running that for say a week then refitting the Tek2 ?

Your experience seems odd and I'm not technically qualified to comment on whether its the Tek remap or something else, BUT ! -

I've chipped cars before and a couple of times I thought "this doesn't seem as good as it used to be". I've then swapped the original ECU back and driven for at least a few days, then put the upgraded chip back in. On the two different cars I could do this, the upgraded chip was definitely performing better - epecially in power / revvability higher up the rev range.

Just a thought as my experience has been different to your unlucky one.

Old 22 August 2002, 03:58 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I know what your saying flat 4, but the car is definately better than the standard ecu, it reaches 1.2bar and settles between 1.1 and 1.2bar.

All i am saying is that it did not appear to spool up quickly after the 1st week. This one does appear to spool up better though.

I know you gradually get used to the hike in performance, but i am talking about driving car 50 miles, with big grin, then stopping. 10 minutes later jumping back in and notice a big change. My wife even noticed it, thats how much it changed.

So in conclusion i will say it again "if you are going for a TEK2 have it finely tuned for your car rather than having the off the shelf one. The reason for this is that every scoob is different, even in standard guise.
Old 22 August 2002, 05:43 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

But a finely tuned Tek2 for your car is a Tek3 surely

And a Tek3 custom map is fr1cking expensive, well I thought it was considering its no actual hardware you are buying. I know it takes time and skill to map an ECU but the price I was quoted I thought was waaay too high.

Old 23 August 2002, 08:31 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Yes i hear what your saying Mega Stream, i suppose your right.

However, from what i have read on hear i think the off the shelf one from PE is different to th eone John Banks does, hence why people refer to is as a Tek2.5.

PE doe sell the Tek2 with a rolling road session for £625 + vat, which is £125 more than just the TEK2. Where as a Tek3 is the tek2 plus ££ per hour on the rolling road fine tuned to your car.
Old 23 August 2002, 08:34 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Oh by the way, i still. think this Tek2 is better than the 1st one. It is hitting 1.2 bar by 2600 rpm, a full 200 quicker than before, and it pulls so much better in 4th gear.
Old 23 August 2002, 08:49 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

I wonder if they have revised it a little for you? It's a pity the upgrade/patch isn't downloadable?

F

Old 23 August 2002, 12:25 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Mega_stream, doesn't the no hardware arguement then hold for any bit of software?

I think they've understandably based their pricing on 2 factors - how much you would normally pay for other mods to get the same increase and also how much time/development costs to bring it to market.

Edit to say that reading your post again, I think you meant that the cost for a Tek3 over a Tek2 was expensive. So ignore this

Richard.

[Edited by Scotsman - 8/23/2002 12:26:14 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 02:31 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's exactly what I meant

Old 23 August 2002, 02:36 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular