Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tek 3......what can I expect????

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2002, 07:32 AM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I can't really justify the cost of changing from my MY00 to an STi7/Evo7 I've decided to keep my Scoob and go down the TEK2/TEK3 route.

My car was recently dyno'd at Star at 255bhp and 246lb/ft (Star RR is thought to be around 20bhp lower than PE). Car has full decat/K&N panel filter and dawes set to hold around 16psi.

I have read on this board of changing from dawes cars to Tek2 maps but has anyone experienced the difference in a car with full de-cat and dawes changing to a custom (Tek3?) map?

I really enjoy the fast spool up the dawes gives, can a custom Tek map give the same pick up?

Would I see any rolling road improvements over the dawes figures?

Can the Tek be mapped for additional mid range torque as opposed to all out BHP?

Should I be looking at any other mods prior to going for a custom map e.g. cold air intakes????? (I don't want to go as far as FMIC's and bigger turbos just yet)

Any advice appreciated!!

Chris
Old 24 April 2002, 08:17 AM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Most of these questions are best answered by Stephen ( ecutek ) or Mervyn at PE, I'm not sure what they can do with a custom mapping ( tek3 ), quite a lot I thimnk but it can get very expensive.

There are a few recent threads about Tek1/Dawes/Tek2 comparisons which you could look for. In summary, I have a MY99 ( decat dp and ITG filter ) with a Dawes putting out 256bhp, 248 lbs torque, I tried a tek1 & Dawes, no difference, and a tek 2, some improvement in low down torque/power, below 2500 rpm, and high rpm, over 5500 but the increase not big enough, in my opinion, to warrant the extra expense.

Don't you find 255bhp, sufficient ? Don't forget the Sti only puts out 260 and thats a heavier car !
Old 24 April 2002, 02:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every car has surprisingly different engine properties, from breathing, to plugs, to fuel, to compression ratios and more. Any "one-size-fits-all" map will always have a decent amount of conservatism in it, as should any custom map, but for example the fuelling and the timing should be just right on your car with just the right amount across the map if it is tailored to it.

AFAIK Stephen Done's car is the only one so far with a Tek 3 and with some choice breathing mods has superb results. Give it a bit of time to pan out just yet I say.

Regarding Dawes vs other methods - having tried a variety of methods of piggybacking the ECU in various ways, I would say the correct map in/piggybacked to the original ECU is the superior method. The part throttle progression is vastly superior and it is much smoother than the Dawes. It does not feel as ragged, but performance tests have shown it to be just as good, and as per my Delta Dash log thread from last night there look to be many more gains to be had besides just sorting the boost. There is undoubtedly some room for adjusting duty cycles to how you want them for your preferred boost delivery - I don't think it will have quite the perceived thump of the Dawes although it should be quicker overall.

[Edited by john banks - 4/24/2002 2:04:43 PM]