Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

White steam/smoke on cold start (MY98 WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 07:36 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've noticed, since I had my car serviced a couple of days ago, that when I start my car with a cold engine a fairly large puff of white (definitely no black or blue colouration) steam or smoke comes from the exhaust - enough to be visible in the rear view mirror as it lingers in the air for a few second while it floats away. After that it stops and isn't visible while driving or if starting from warm. Any thoughts and should I be worried? Could too much oil in the engine cause this? I've just been out so I'll check it again when it cools down, but at the moment it does seem over the maximum... Thanks for any help as always.
Old 10 August 2002, 11:53 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Snacks !

If I where I would ask someone else to start my car and put my hand next to the outlet next time and see if it isn't just watervapour . I have seen this happen when a car runs a little richer and starts from cold in cold weather . This will be confirmed if you see the tail pipe dribble water out of it . Not a bad thing that .

Ray
Old 11 August 2002, 10:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Yup just sounds like water vapour
nothing to worry about, it should clear after a few miles of driving and when your engine gets to its operating temperature

Tony
Old 12 August 2002, 08:45 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I don't think it's just water vapour, but it is white in colour. It puffed out quite a cloud again when started this morning and then went back to normal. Could too much oil cause this and if so why? The level seems over the max to me since the service, which is exactly when the problem started a few days ago...
Old 12 August 2002, 09:05 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Question

Does it happen if you leave the car running after a drive for a little while, be it a long or short drive?

If so, it sounds as though you've got the same problem I had. I would look to book the car in to a dealership and get them to look at it quite quickly.
Old 12 August 2002, 09:47 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

It only happens on cold start after being left for a few hours. What was your problem then?
Old 12 August 2002, 11:22 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Almost certain this is being caused by the oil level now. Had a word with the garage and they say Porsches do this as well (as they service a lot of them). They will drain and re-measure the level tomorrow... I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 12 August 2002, 12:59 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

My problem was the oil seals had gone on the turbo, therefore new turbo required Fortunately though my car still has it's warranty and it was performed under this.

Hopefully yours will not be this, and that you will get it sorted quickly.
Old 13 August 2002, 02:48 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

After going to the garage today they confirmed it was indeed the oil level being too high, however, they had only put 4.5 litres in as it says in the book. After draining and refilling, 4 litres took the level to the max? Any explaination why my car doesn't take the full quota of oil without going too high?

[Edited by scoobysnacks - 8/13/2002 2:49:33 PM]
Old 13 August 2002, 06:46 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Scooob seems to have a strange engine in this respect. Try going out for a hard drive then checking the oil level, it will appear almost empty! When I asked my garage about this they told me to leave the car for 2 hours before checking the oil level.
So you see it may appear empty when you add 4l but there might be another litre hiding in there somewhere.
Old 13 August 2002, 07:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think the oil filter holds a fair amount of oil.

Sounds like water vapour mate..

Oil would be blue smoke.. black would be fuel (I think I remembering that right).

Chgeck that you have no oil in your water or water in your oil latter of which the garage would have noticed..
but it sounds like the normal water vapour of start up..

Wait until winter and they do it until normal temp is reached not just straight away.

I thought my first scooby had a problem because of this, ignored it as I could find nothing wrong.. . second scooby does exactly the same..

Is it still doing it with the oil re-levelled?

JGM
Old 14 August 2002, 10:02 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Smile

Now the oil level has been dropped, the problem has dissapeared so it was definitely caused by that. Apparently it can seep into part of the exhaust system and spit this out in a cloud of white on a cold start. It wasn't water vapour, as I'm used to this and it doesn't look the same. Thanks for your replies guys.
Old 14 August 2002, 10:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh right..

Well glad it is sorted then!

JGM