Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Unichip and Dawes device - yes, no or maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 10:38 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone had this done?

Can you tell me the unbiased pros and cons for this modification?

I'm looking for a power increase, with no compromise to reliability, and i certainly dont want a "smoothing out" of the power delivery which i've heard of the PPP pack for example.

Appreciate any thoughts on Unichip and Dawes, thanks.

Terry
Old 26 June 2002, 02:27 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Unichip - Mappable Piggyback ECU. Fantastic results IMO. Very good alternative to spending £1000s of pounds on an aftermarket ECU. Admitedly not as good as say Motec and the like , but much much cheaper. Better VFM

Have a look at www.airpowersystems.com.au.
They did some comparisons with the Possum ECU etc

Generally you would have it fitted with an electronic boost controller either Unichips own or alternative.
Old 26 June 2002, 02:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

5TypeR,

Perfect, that's good to hear. In fact you got it in one - my alternative is/was a Possum Link, but spending 000's on my weekend car, and inheriting cold-start problems etc wasn't really where i wanted to be.

Terry
Old 27 June 2002, 08:29 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Had unichip fitted to my P1
Disapointed with overall gains 11 bhp and 20 1b's OF torque, but the car is a lot quicker I looked at the before and after dyno graphs and there was an increase of about 20 bhp all the way through the rev range and the same increase in torque.
The dealer that fitted it reckoned peak power was only up 11 bhp because the engine could not get enough cold air.
Definately recommended.
Andy
Old 27 June 2002, 08:39 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Disagree with you guys.Compare price accurately.Link fitted and mapped is about £1000.Unichip fitted and mapped with standard Dastek boost controller is about £800.With a decent boost controller Unichip costs even more.Cold start problems can be ironed out.D'ont be fooled into thinking that Unichip has no problems,it has many.I ditched a Unichip for a Link.
Old 27 June 2002, 08:41 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Just had it done to my UK97, pleased with results, a lot more noticeable pulling power than my previous mods (decat then fitted dawes @ 15psi).

Running 17~18 PSI with full decat + ramair.

Had it done at powerstation, on the dyno 241bhp 242ft/lb torque.

does not sound much but look at the dyno site (powerstation is very conservative compared to other dynos) and it compares very well with PPP cars with decats.

The torque compares well with imports also but runs out of puff at high rpm.

Rich
Old 27 June 2002, 08:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What model and year is your car?
Old 28 June 2002, 09:10 AM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Deep Singh

I would be interested to hear about the problems you had?

Obviously with any mapping, it is only as good as the engineer that maps it.

I remember a few years ago that the Unichip got a really bad name as certain tuners were simply using predefined maps and fitting them, which basically defeats the whole purpose of a unique map for your specific car.

I was extremely scepticle about what it could offer me , but have to say it was the best money ever spent in 10 years of tuning.

I am not sure where you had yours fitted but £800 for the Unichip with Unichip boost controller seems a little steep!

I agree that the Unichip may not have the greatest boost controller however I would suggest that an aftermarket EBC and Unichip is a very good combination.

As I said before ultimately it is only ever going to be as good as the engineer makes it.

Crap Engineer ........Crap Unichip.

I am not suggesting this is what happened in your case at all, but am genuinely interested to hear what was so bad that you changed it.

Old 29 June 2002, 03:53 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

5 Type R,I d'ont want to go into it all again as I've whinged about it enough on here and I'm sure people are bored of it.Its just that in your first post you wrote 'its better value than spending thousands on after market ECUs'.A Unichip fitted and mapped is quoted by most as £650+ vat thats £770.Thats only £200 cheaper than a Link.If you use an aftermarket fancy EBC then no price difference.This is important as people often mis quote the Link as being much more expensive.
Old 30 June 2002, 07:36 AM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Telboy

Just had this done,

MY 99UK full decat
Chip fitted at powerstation with dawes and fuel cut defenser cost 600 quid.

Result 251bhp and 243lbft at 3k revs. Runnining 1.1bar dropping to .9bar at higher revs. Power tales off after 5k revs due to limits of turbo(so they said)

Feels SO much quicker than 35bhp more, car now has a punch, not too smooth and 1st gear is mental.

Drinks fuel now tho!

Cheers Rottie.