Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Can anyone solve this one please, funny noises or paranoid!

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2002, 04:28 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might be a long one!

Driving to work this am in ( MY99 UK turbo, full decat dawes and unichip) and i noticed a whining noice only very faint and at 40-70mph.

only can be heard at these speeds and with windows closed, music off and most importantly smooth roads.

seems to stop when you back off the power.
defo not turbo wistle and only just noticable but sounds a little like a mini gearbox wine but less so.

Subaru guy came out with me today in it and couldnt really hear it.

Any ideas i am worried it may be a diff or similar, car is modded and still have warranty left so am concerned.

I had 17 inch oz wheels and p-zeros fitted last week if it is any help.

Also may be being paranoid but there is a faint whistling on tick over maybe nothing tho.

Cheers

Rottie
Old 27 June 2002, 06:01 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Please!

remember how much new noises worried you?

Thanks

Rottie
Old 27 June 2002, 06:18 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I get the same thing at the same speed in my car when I got myself some bigger alloys. Probably just the tyre noise or little gremlins playing in yours and my car.
Old 27 June 2002, 06:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think I know the noise you mean - my car does it too (MY00 with PPP and 17" wheels, 2 1/2 years old, 36k miles).

It's a whistle a bit like the turbo, but much quieter and there all the time, regardless of engine speed. It's most noticeable cruising at 70mph on a motorway, and stops if you back off the throttle. Give the throttle a light push just to maintain speed and it starts up again.

It's made that noise for as long as I can remember, and I'm not aware of any problems.

Andy.
Old 27 June 2002, 07:37 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Yep, same as Andy in my MY00 28K on the clock and I put that down to some electronic gizmo perhaps connected to fuel infection etc as the noise seems to be accelerator related.

On the other hand I did have a whining noise between those speeds in particular which I thought came from under the dash and the mechanic couldn't find anything until it gradually got worse - bit like worn speedo cable noise and that was the gearbox bearings and that was mega bucks!

Jerome
Old 27 June 2002, 07:53 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Thanks all,

i liked the first 2 replys but yours jfb has worried me a little!

However its going back to dealer on saturday for another look, and i couldnt get it to do it later on today so maybe its me. Took a mate out at lunch today and he heard it, sounded like a diff to him, although he said he wouldnt of heard it unless i told him about it.

these things pee me off!

Cheers
Rottie
Old 27 June 2002, 08:06 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Turn the tunes up!
Old 27 June 2002, 09:55 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

I had something really similar not so long back and it drove me crazy. It would only come on at 90 mph, a really high pitched noise, and it wasn't the police for a change

It used to continue not really changing in pitch and I really couldnt source where it was coming from. I suspected a drivetrain component rather than wind related but why at only certain speeds?

In the end what finally cured it is I had all 4 wheels rebalanced and it has never come back. Dont know how that was causing the noise but in the process of taking the wheels off and rebalanced the noise disappeared.

Cheers

Paul.
Old 28 June 2002, 08:54 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You've got me all worried now! Still, it's going in for a service in a couple of weeks, I'll mention it then. Want to get everything sorted before the warranty runs out!

Andy.
Old 28 June 2002, 03:29 PM
crawf8
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sounds like something I've got on mine too (MY97). Seems to happen at about 2500 to 3500 rpm, and it does my head in!! I've had it back at the dealers 3 times since I bought it in December, but they can't hear it! ARGHH! They've checked the car out and can't find anything wrong.

Doesn't slow the car down though, so that's ok

[Edited by crawf8 - 6/28/2002 3:30:12 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 03:35 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Is this the noise that sounds like the older style cop sirens? If so, I wouldn't worry. Mine has made this sound from the first day I bought the car brand new. MY00. Others have posted here with the same noise, even on the MY02 STIs. I'd say it's normal. No one has pin pointed what it is, but it's harmless. Don't worry. I'd say only people with sensitive hearing can hear it, cos others i've tried to show can't hear it.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 6/28/2002 3:37:08 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 03:41 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like tyres to me (tread pattern harmonics).

Had a similar problems on my old 4x4 sierra, changed from the std 14" to late sapphire cossy rims with perrelli's got a lovely wery whine at certain speeds. Always showed up nicely on very smooth tmac.

Anyway after the next 5k, if it is the box your gonna feel it.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:22 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

I agree with GTB, especially as you have just had new tyres fitted.

I have just done the samething after I thought the MOT garage had put the car on the ramp to test the brakes. In the end I gave up worrying about it - put it to the change of tyres - if the diff is on the way out there is nothing I can do about it !!!!

Alex
Old 30 June 2002, 07:28 AM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Took it back to the dealer yesterday for a body work inspection and investigation of the wine.

NOT HAPPY.

Car was going to be an hour so i went for a walk to the trading estate for a look (even went in Halfords!), whilst walking back my car goes past me in a 30mph limit at about 70mph with a kid driving it!!!

Secondly,

They say they heard the noise and checked the diff oil. I was told it was looking a little thin??? and changed it at no cost as i have only had car for 2 months. Noise is still there and the diff seems to be louder than ever(not certain tho)

What do i do now. i was thinking of qriting to them stating my worries in case it gets worse out of warranty, what do you think?

Cheers

Rottie
Old 30 June 2002, 11:19 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Firstly I would tell them off for the way the car was driven. The car may have been cold and it is no good to thrash a car when cold, especially scoobies which are known to spin rod bearings.

Secondly get it in writing with a sinature as to who was driving the car, in case a camera got your car speeding.

Thirdly go back and tell them the noise is still there and the diff sounds louder.

Cheers,

Wrexy.