Issues fitting Exedy twin disk on 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2023, 08:27 PM
Denimir
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues fitting Exedy twin disk on 6mt

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm desperate at this point.

I have an Impreza MY99 and am currently trying to fit a 6mt non DCCD from Bug Eye STI. The clutch I am using is Exedy Hyper Carbon Series D-Core twin disk and this is where the issue begin.

There is a gap, about 1cm, between the clutch bearing and the inside of the pressure plate where the two bearings should connect.

I made a couple of attempts to do the assembly, first trying the connection of the exhaust bearing to the pressure plate and then mounting the pump, but due to the fork being too far back, there is no way to mount the pump to the appropriate holes. Picture here.

I then tried to mount the pump, tighten it and here the first described problem appeared, there was no way to connect the release bearing to the pressure plate due to the ~1 cm distance between them. Picture here.

I did some measurements and it looks like the total thickness of the whole assembly (e-wheel, discs, pressure plate) is about the same amount thinner than the original 6mt clutch assembly, ~1cm.

I could not find any information of a need of another release bearing, which is thicker to compensate the difference in between the Exedy and the original clutch, so wanted to check if anyone experienced the same ever before and found a sollution.

p.s The shaft of the pump cannot be shortened, the fork is so way back, that even removing completely the shaft, the fork still hits the body of the pump and it cannot be mounted.

I am trying to find a release bearing that is ~1cm thicker or a way to mount the pump a bit back, but will highly appreciate any ideas what could be the issue here, we already removed the engine 5 times today and coul't figure it out.

Kind regards,
Denimir
Old 28 March 2023, 08:36 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

difficult to see from those pix but looks like the bearing or clutch fork is not positioned / engaged correctly ??

what exact Exedy clutch part number do you have??
Old 28 March 2023, 11:10 PM
Denimir
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be this one FM012SBMC1, and yes, there is a gap in between the fork and the bearing, which I have no idea from where it is comming.

However, earlier today I was told that there are two different type of forks for 6mt one is having like a curve at the end where it connect with the slave, while the other one is straight and it seems that I need the straight one and I really hope that this is the cause of the issue.
Old 29 March 2023, 09:25 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

more looks like the bearing isn't engaged in the cover correctly............

can't recall 2x differing TY856 6spd ones BUT there is a difference with a 5spd fork which can be fitted albeit still shouldn't cause as large an issue.......
and you need a matched 6spd slave cylinder also