Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Complex one for you WiFi boffins

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2014, 09:02 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Complex one for you WiFi boffins

Not even sure its possible but.....

I have Sky broadband and use the wireless for several devices, mine and the wifes iPhones, her iPad and my teenage kids have devices that connect to it as well. What I would like to do is to be able to split the signal so one is on all the time (for myself and the wife) and one is switchable (on/off) so I can limit the time my teens can access the home network. I feel they deserve some time on the net but feel it should be limited so as to not affect the other things they should be getting on with.

So is there a way of splitting the signal so I can limit their access yet keep my access on permanently?? Or not?

Hope I've made sense

Last edited by BLU; 28 January 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 27 January 2014, 09:25 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

2 different routers maybe? Turn there's off when you feel they've had enough time.
Old 27 January 2014, 09:36 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Log into the router admin panel and look for access control, you'll be able to assign different IPs and what times they have access.
Old 27 January 2014, 09:50 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
2 different routers maybe? Turn there's off when you feel they've had enough time.
Thats kinda what I was thinking, is it possible to link a second router to my first or to the same broadband connection? I'd like one I could set the times on so I don't have to keep switching it on and off manually.

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79
Log into the router admin panel and look for access control, you'll be able to assign different IPs and what times they have access.
Hmm that sounds interesting. I'm a bit wet behind the ears as far as this sort of thing is concerned Can you elaborate a tad??
Old 27 January 2014, 09:59 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

In your URL bar, i.e where you type bbs.scoobynet.com put 192.168.0.1 and you will get a login screen, unless its been changed the username/password will be admin/sky.

Once logged in look for 'access control', or 'wireless access', you should then be able to add the IP addresses of devices on your home network and then allocate time periods when they can connect to WiFi.
Old 27 January 2014, 10:52 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79
In your URL bar, i.e where you type bbs.scoobynet.com put 192.168.0.1 and you will get a login screen, unless its been changed the username/password will be admin/sky.

Once logged in look for 'access control', or 'wireless access', you should then be able to add the IP addresses of devices on your home network and then allocate time periods when they can connect to WiFi.
Brill, I'll give that a try tomorrow. How do you get the ip addresses of each device?
Old 27 January 2014, 11:12 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

What you're after is a MAC address, every wifi adapter has one.
I'm pretty sure in the settings/info somewhere on your iDevice it'll list it. This is how you filter the connections. You assign a specific IP address for each MAC address (don't confuse MAC as in Apple Mac, it means something else). IP addresses are usually assigned dynamically so the first one in range gets 192.168.0.2, the next 192.168.0.3 etc etc so just filtering by an IP address won't be enough, you have to force the kids iDevices on to a known IP address each time they connect to the network.

Sounds complicated and you'll have to click 'advanced settings' once you've logged into the router. It's pretty straight forward once you get it though.

It's been a while since I've done mine and the routers are probably different but if you search on Google you should find a guide if you get stuck.

edit: if 192.168.0.1 doesn't work, try 192.168.1.1 instead. They changed the router IP address.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 27 January 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 27 January 2014, 11:24 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

As Neanderthal said, I do think the ip on the newer routers may have changed to .1.1 rather than .0.1, it will if it's a white net gear.
Old 28 January 2014, 12:40 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

You can find out what the IP address of the router is by running IPCONFIG /ALL at a Command Prompt. (Start>cmd>enter) and look for your Default Gateway.
Old 28 January 2014, 09:13 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by BLU
I have Sky broadband and use the wireless for several devices, mine and the wives iPhones,
I thought bigamy was illegal in the UK?

Why can't you just say to them "do something else"? They are still kids, after all.

Unless you demand they do 3 hours physical exercise a day, what does it matter what they are doing, or on what medium? Watching telly? Watching Youtube - what's the difference. Listening to music? Spotify - what's the difference? Reading a book? Reading stuff on the internet?......

If you have a concern about what they are accessing and what is suitable, then that is a different matter, but then you just need parental controls.

Most kids tend to regulate themselves, they get bored and do something else, go out with their friends etc. It just seems a bit draconian to me, it's not like alcohol or **** is it?
Old 28 January 2014, 10:11 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Depends on the router but with my ASUS jobby you can have multiple wireless networks such that you can have your private, secured network, but also enable a guest network with limited access (i.e. Internet only) and I'm fairly sure you can configure it to turn on and off at certain times of the day.

It's this one: https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66U/

and reading through the blurb I found: "The parental control allows you to set up your kids' computer access times."

Sounds like what you're after.
Old 28 January 2014, 02:12 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Most kids tend to regulate themselves, they get bored and do something else, go out with their friends etc. It just seems a bit draconian to me, it's not like alcohol or **** is it?
Give an inch take a mile as far as kids are concerned . They certainly don't self regulate.......
I don't want to take it off them (as that would be unfair), just remove the temptation to use it when they shouldn't be!
Old 28 January 2014, 02:18 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Depends on the router but with my ASUS jobby you can have multiple wireless networks such that you can have your private, secured network, but also enable a guest network with limited access (i.e. Internet only) and I'm fairly sure you can configure it to turn on and off at certain times of the day.

It's this one: https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66U/

and reading through the blurb I found: "The parental control allows you to set up your kids' computer access times."

Sounds like what you're after.
Does that replace my current router or run along side it?
Old 28 January 2014, 04:22 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
Best bet would be to replace it. Not got Sky broadband though, I have BT fibre from PlusNet so the router plugs into the modem BT supply. Is Sky ADSL? If so you might find it easier to get a router with the ADSL modem built in. I'm sure you'd be able to find something with the same functionality easily enough.
Old 28 January 2014, 04:32 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
You don't need to buy anything else, MAC filtering is all you need. How old are your kids? they can probably do it for you
Old 28 January 2014, 05:27 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Best bet would be to replace it. Not got Sky broadband though, I have BT fibre from PlusNet so the router plugs into the modem BT supply. Is Sky ADSL? If so you might find it easier to get a router with the ADSL modem built in. I'm sure you'd be able to find something with the same functionality easily enough.
Go Careful, replacing a sky router is very complicated as they don't supply the username and password, you need special programs to "sniff" them.
Old 28 January 2014, 06:27 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
How old are your kids? they can probably do it for you
You're probably right!! (the two in question are 14 and 15!) I'll have a crack at it later on
Old 29 January 2014, 12:13 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Don't bother with routers in tandem b/b routers talk to exch equip so one per line only
Old 30 January 2014, 03:42 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

either sack of Skys router and install a Linksys with Dual Band,

Label one

Mine
other
Hers

i do this the kids have the 2.4 Ghz connection, i have the N or 5GHZ connection works fine.

But i hazard a guess you cant get rid of the router or youll effect the T&Cs, so buy an access point and hardwire that to the router create your own wifi then, shes uses old you new

this will do u

http://www.tp-link.us/products/detai...del=TL-WR843ND

Last edited by Littleted; 30 January 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 31 January 2014, 11:41 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Should you wish to replace your sky router it's a piece of p!ss. You just go to a web site (can't remember it off the top of my head but got a note of it somewhere if you need it), while you still have your sky router plugged in, this shows you your user name and password.

You can then setup a new router with these details (I use my own router with no problems at all).

Not sure what the model of router you have is but it "may" have some access control options on it.

If not just get a new router that can do multiple wi-fi networks or another wi-fi access point to plug in to your existing router to give you a second wi-fi network.

Or, just ask the kids to cut down on their Internet usage and tell them when they should and shouldn't be using it. If they ignore your request (warning) then setup the above and tell them they were warned

Last edited by stiscooby; 31 January 2014 at 11:42 PM.