Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2013, 03:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Woofer

Not the dog, the speaker...

Just starting into the realms of surround sound, so consider me a n00b and I don't have too much of a budget, so eBay may be my source...

My old Amp died, 1 channel anyway, so forked out for a AV Receiver from Richer Sounds, nothing special just a Sony STRDH520. I've connected DVD/HDD, TalkTalk & TV and it seems to all work. Only got a couple of speakers, though in their time quite decent (B&W 600s) but have lost all the bass when they play, despite mucking about with settings, so want to get this back.

Do I need a sub only or do I have to get the rest of the "5:1" kit (center/rears). If so, what sort of sub should I get or will any old 5:1 speaker kit suffice? Or is a hidden menu "loudness" button I should be looking for?
Old 21 October 2013, 03:54 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know this unit particularly well but I guess its a setting. Its probably set in "5.1 audio" mode when in actual fact, you want standard stereo.
Old 21 October 2013, 07:22 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Puff

5.1 is the surround matrix

5 = 5 speakers Front Left Centre Front right Rear Left Rear Right

.1 = Subwoofer

On the back of the amp will be a dedicated phone out for the Sub

Ideally you need an active sub which takes the phono input and amplyfys it

if you use a passive sub, its usually driven from the spealkers as a tapped off conection

If your really lucky and get a REL sub, these use both Phono & Balanced XLR connectors

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...nn-sfx-sub-blk ( they have them for £89 clearance)

Not the best, only goes to 40Hz

But should be plenty good enough for a dabble

Mart
Old 23 October 2013, 07:15 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2 on mine for LFE bass basically the bass you feel rather than hear, my first is a mission that drives the 5.1 flat panels I have around the room, daisy chained to that is a REL.

REL are your best bet priced ok but get expensive when you hit the wooden ones. Mines a black box can't remember the name but it was one above the quake