Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need some advice on wireless streaming, i think!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2013, 09:43 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice on wireless streaming, i think!!!

ok, so, im a bit stuck in the past with regards to music technology, i am a hardened music fan but still have the problem that i like to physically buy something such as a cd or vinyl, so am late coming to the itunes/spotify scene.

anyway, i have now discovered the wonderful spotify service on my desktop pc and im loving it, so easy to use and literally everything i could wish for with regards to the music available on it.

the problem i have is this, i listen to music every night on earphones when i go to bed, something ive done since being a kid and im now nearly 40 so cant see it ending before i cark it, so ive been looking at the best way to have spotify in my bedroom, is it even possible?? my idea was to look at buying something that streams wirelessly but dont actually know how it works or even if it will work, my idea is that i would like to be able to access my full library stored on my desktop pc in my bedroom.

so my question is this, is it possible, and if so how do i go about it, what equipment do i need??

been looking at streamers from music matters, but completely lost as to what i need.

any help appreciated
Old 18 October 2013, 10:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

iPhone. It's like an iPod with other stuff and the internet.
Old 19 October 2013, 07:36 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hes all ready indicated hes using spotify
Old 19 October 2013, 07:52 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

If you have an android phone or jailbroken iphone, get XBMC on your phone and share your PC's library? PC will need to be left on, or whack your collection on a cheap NAS drive.

Get spotify App on your phone and stream?
Old 19 October 2013, 11:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Or don't jailbreak your iPhone, don't have your PC left on nor own a NAS. Just use your iPhone and iTunes match, it's cheap. Or leave iTunes open if you're tight, job done.
Old 19 October 2013, 11:26 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

spotify for mobile, small monthly charge. Keep phone on charger by bed
Old 19 October 2013, 11:42 AM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

You could buy wireless headphones! Leave computer on and walk around house listening to anything you like!!
Old 19 October 2013, 12:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Or don't jailbreak your iPhone, don't have your PC left on nor own a NAS. Just use your iPhone and iTunes match, it's cheap. Or leave iTunes open if you're tight, job done.
And if he doesn't want fork out for an iPhone , and doesn't wish to be disturbed by phone calls ?
Old 19 October 2013, 07:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
And if he doesn't want fork out for an iPhone , and doesn't wish to be disturbed by phone calls ?
What do you mean fork out? iPhones are cheap and shown to have great longevity. Buy a two year old iPhone 4s and it'll still do everything I mentioned.

Swipe up, click the big Do Not Disturb button when you don't want to be disturbed.
Old 20 October 2013, 08:41 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
What do you mean fork out? iPhones are cheap and shown to have great longevity. Buy a two year old iPhone 4s and it'll still do everything I mentioned.

Swipe up, click the big Do Not Disturb button when you don't want to be disturbed.
Cheap?? If you can find one on Ebay for less than £150 that isn't being sold as faulty or spares-or-repair, I'll be mightily impressed.

To the OP, there are basically 2 routes you can go down. Option 1 is to stream the data to some device or other where you want to listen to it, option 2 is to stream the actual audio. For option 1 you could use any laptop, tablet or smart-phone that has wifi and is able to run a Spotify app, which these days will be just about every last one on the new market, and easily 95% of everything on the secondhand market manufactured in the last 5 years. Prices would range from £30-ish to sky's the limit, depending on where you want to set your budget, and how much time you want to spend hunting for a used bargain.

For option 2, you'd need three things, a PC or laptop left running as mentioned by another poster already (to connect to Spotify), plus a basic audio/video transmitter/receiver (to do the wireless part - I use a £40 Ebay cheapy to stream music to the garage from the house, which works fine even with the kitchen door closed and drills, sanders or planers running), and lastly any radio, boom-box or amp of some kind which has line-in inputs and a headphone socket, to actually play back the music.

Need any more help, feel free to PM
Old 20 October 2013, 09:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Radio?
Old 21 October 2013, 07:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Get grooveshark on your PC

Raspberry Pi £30

Mains Data links - £20

Set up XBMC on the Pi, stream from your pc to the Pi

Pi goes to your TV or to your amp then tv (assuming you have a HDMI amp)

Mart
Old 21 October 2013, 08:04 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

mart360, youve completely lost me im afraid, bit of a neandertal when it comes to tech, not a clue what pi is or mains data links.

markjmd - thanks for your help, think im going to download the spotify app onto my phone, i have a samsung galaxy s4 which im told is compatible, im just trying to find out if the spotify program on my desktop will sync with my phone app so that i can have all music on my desktop available on my phone.

if this is possible, can i then attach my phone to a dock speaker of some sort to actually play the music out of as well as listen with headphones??

thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 21 October 2013, 09:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyman1984
mart360, youve completely lost me im afraid, bit of a neandertal when it comes to tech, not a clue what pi is or mains data links.

markjmd - thanks for your help, think im going to download the spotify app onto my phone, i have a samsung galaxy s4 which im told is compatible, im just trying to find out if the spotify program on my desktop will sync with my phone app so that i can have all music on my desktop available on my phone.

if this is possible, can i then attach my phone to a dock speaker of some sort to actually play the music out of as well as listen with headphones??

Raspberry Pi

http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1

Powerline data links

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networ...81472-pdt.html

Mart
Old 21 October 2013, 09:43 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
thanks for trying to advise but i can barely switch a computer on let alone decipher what im supposed to do with the innards of one!!! lol
Old 22 October 2013, 12:43 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyman1984

Dock speakers tend to be designed as an alternative to headphones, so very few if any have a socket to also plug headphones in. If you went for a more conventional music system on the other hand (with a line-in socket to connect your S4 to), you could be pretty sure it would.
Another option might be a dock speaker and an audio splitter 'Y' cable, but in that case make sure the dock speaker has its own independent volume control.
Old 23 October 2013, 07:13 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any kind if ipad nexus will stream to your headphones, their not much and spotify is free to download

You other option is the new pioneer amps, they have spotify built in, pop some speakers on and walla it's in your room.

Last but not least as the guys said, but a nice pair of sony MDR 1RBT headphones have your laptop close ish in same room, and Bluetooth stream it...
Old 23 October 2013, 08:05 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

1 question what is spotify the rest of the question your asking is easy enough to stream music but don't know what or how spotify works