ICE Newbie sub-woofer question

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 11:11 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I am an ICE Newbie, but after Chiarks' article in True Grip have decided to do something about the unit in my MY01. I've sorted my choice of head unit and speakers, but am confused about the options for a sub-woofer.

I don't fancy having a large box in the boot of my car to mount the sub-woofer in. Do I have any other options;
  • could I mount it in the rear parcel shelf?
  • could I mount it in the spare wheel well?
  • any other ideas?

TIA

Duncan
Old 22 March 2002, 12:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

all these set ups are a compromise.

spare wheel subwoofers would be better custom amde with a decent make of sub instead of pioneer.

Parecl shelf mounted units are free air, and never generate the noise people are really after.

You would be surprised the bass you can get out of a small box sub, I would consider an 8 in a small box (the size of two yellow pages) and stick it in the corner. If you choose a decent make (not JL 8w6) such as a petras, or veritas, you can get some very decent bass.
Old 22 March 2002, 12:36 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Umm, no, not in the parcel shelf
You can get ones that go in the spare wheel, but they tend to be not as good as 'real' ones (but a big improvement on nothing!)
AutoAcoustics - can't remember the website - do a fibreglass thing that fints in the right-hand wheel arch. Although only for the 'classic' at the moment, I think they were working on a fitment for the new ones. Might be ready too?
Old 22 March 2002, 01:19 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Question

Duncan,

I have a set of Kenwood 17cm mid/subwoofers mounted in the rear deck and they add some bass but it is not a "night and day" difference (although they are running off-of the head unit).

I also read Chiark's article and was wondering whether something like this is worthwhile ?

http://www.v-i-b-e.com/vibehtml/combo-1.html

I just want to add "depth" to the sound - absolutely no boom!

Thanks

Gavin

[Edited by GavinP - 3/22/2002 1:33:07 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 03:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Good to see you're still knocking JL, Adam ...

Have to agree with the rest tho, you will be looking at a compromise in performance, but on the other hand if you build a box you're being asked to compromise space.

How about an 8" in a box slung under the parcel shelf in a very shallow box?

Old 22 March 2002, 03:24 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The wibbly-wobbly parcel shelf? I have a feeling that things might start falling off...
Old 22 March 2002, 03:54 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Adam M..!!! Never one to miss a "Pop" at the old 8W6 !!

These veritas speakers??? Cant find any info on them.. You mentioned some info but I found a web site for oil rig builders!!!

Any more info??
Duncan: What about a small enclosure in rear foot well?? Works well for me.

Old 22 March 2002, 05:10 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Luke

Any chance of a photo or some more details of how you've mounted it in the footwell? I've heard that some people mount theirs under the seat, but I can't work out how as there doesn't appear to be any space!

Duncan
Old 22 March 2002, 07:41 PM
Luke
BANNED

Duncan
I am in the process of bying a Digi camera !! So no pictures as yet. I have the amp mounted under the seat. And a MDF enclosure that you dont realy notice when looking into car. The main advantages are. The speaker is closer so the sound stage is better. I have been in many cars where you can tell the sub is in the boot.Needs less power and a smaller sub!! Mine has about 170 watts each and I find that is enough. I dont want that "Horrid" bass sound anyway.......

As soon as I can I will post pictures.

Luke ( 2 x JLAUDIO 8W6's and happy with them.....!)
Old 22 March 2002, 08:36 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Luke

Thanks for the info - it seems a sensible idea, but I'd appreciate photos when you get a camera.

Chiark

Thanks for the idea. A couple of Newbie questions - which way up would you mount the sub (pointing up or down?), and is there a minimum depth (height?) of the unit that I need to observe to avoid poor performance?

Duncan
Old 23 March 2002, 12:32 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

A quality pair of infinite baffle 8's or 10's fitted on a sturdy mdf parcel shelf coupled with a good quality signal can give a great sound. However this type of setup is not so good with very bass heavy electronic music such as drum and bass music. It's best with music made with proper musical instruments.
This setup is easy to achieve in a hatchback such as a Mondeo or Cavalier but not so easy in an Impreza saloon or wagon.

A ported or bandpass enclosure with big speakers such as 12's or 15's would be better for very bass heavy music.
Building an enclosure into a footwell involves making a fiberglass mould of the footwell, then fitting the MDF baffle to it. Calculating the internal volume can be tricky as can things being in the way, such as the ECU. For £150.00 you could buy a stealth box from www.autoacoustics.com which fits in the side of the boot or a small sealed box will cost half that or less from the same company.
A good all round punchy bass sound can be achieved using a small sealed enclosure fitted with a single or a pair of 10's. The enclosures internal volume must be correct for the particular sub fitted into it. You could fit a four channel amp under the front passenger seat using 2 channels to run front components and then bridge the remaining 2 channels to run a single sub or use both remaining channels to run 2 subs. For more power use an amp under each of the front seats.
A small box is simple to remove if the space is needed so that shouldn't be a problem. judge for yourself by listen to as many different installs as possible before buying.

[Edited by audio g man - 3/26/2002 1:39:48 AM]
Old 23 March 2002, 01:23 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

If you can supply at least 1 cube of space and about 200 watts rms at 4 ohms...this is a VERY nice SQPL sub.

http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/subwoofer/shiva.htm

I know it doesn't look like much,but it will slaughter a pair of Pioneers in sq AND spl.
Old 25 March 2002, 06:44 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Bug Eye, just for your information, Halfords in Boucher are having a 20% sale this coming weekend!!

I have picked out the Speakers for the STI already (and a Teng torque wrench)

Andy

You seem to pop up on all the sections

[Edited by Andy W - 3/25/2002 6:47:31 PM]
Old 26 March 2002, 08:43 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy

Yes, like a bad penny I seem to keep turning up ...

Duncan

PS Still not sure what route to take ...