Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Website help - grabbing pages from a live site

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2013, 10:35 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Website help - grabbing pages from a live site

I'm not up to speed on website design, only dabbled in it however someone asked me for some help today. They had a website and the host went bust however the website still exists but they can no longer log on to it to update it.

Anyway what I want to know is there any way the people who owned the website can grab these online pages and save them down to their pc and then use them in a new site at another host?

Any help would be much appreciated as i'd really like to help these people out.

I use Weplus X5 and I have imported the web address into the application but it's a total mess.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 15 June 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 15 June 2013, 11:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Link.
Old 16 June 2013, 08:31 AM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try downloading a tool called wget and use the following command:

wget -r -A.jpg http://url-to-webpage-with-jpg/

Replace the URL with your website and change .jpg to what ever picture format you need to download.

Ben
Old 16 June 2013, 02:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If the site is live, then go to the homepage and view the source, specifically look in the head section for links to style files / javascript files. Depending on how it was built, the style and js info might just be on the page itself, rather than having a reference to the file in another directory. If it's the latter then you should have the path and filename there to be able to build the url and grab the js and css files.

Any idea if they were using PHP to generate any page data? If so then viewing the source will not show that (or at least I'm fairly sure it won't) so all you would be able to scrape is the resulting data and not the php itself as the browser wouldn't show that. You might want to check though, because I could be wrong about it.

Another thought, did they use a CMS system, such as Joomla? If so, the more pain, as it's basically a front-end to an SQL database. Yes, you could scrape the pages to get the content, but you would not be able to make an exact duplicate of it.

In a similar vein, if they were using SQL for anything, you'd want the database, and you'd need access to the host to get it.

Feel free to PM / post the URL and we can see what can be salvaged.
Old 17 June 2013, 11:20 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I got it sorted in the end with an app i've got. However the other issue is trying to get the site removed.

It was done through piczo who are now no longer in business but the site remains live but no way of updating it and so they want the site closed as they have a new website and don't want people using the old one which is way out of date.

How can you get a website removed if the company hosting it have gone bust and aren't contactable but left their servers on!?

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 17 June 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 17 June 2013, 04:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The bills won't be paid soon enough. Or they have a Facebook link of their "we're closed" message, try getting in touch.
Old 17 June 2013, 05:09 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Who owns the DNS entries for the hostname, if its the company that has gone bust then you may have problems since you will have to seize back ownership of the domain. However if the DNS and hostname are registered elsewhere simply have the DNS record updated to point at the new host once the site has been uploaded elsewhere.

Once the DNS is updated then the old site will still exist but nothing will point at it, since the DNS and domain will be pointing at the new one.

Last edited by mannyo; 17 June 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 17 June 2013, 06:08 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks, yep already sent them a facebook message. I haven't tried checking who owns the DNS yet, i'm very surprised the site is up as the company went bust back in December. So someone is paying for the servers to be up.