Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Retina ipad or mini

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2012, 08:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Retina ipad or mini

I'm looking at buying myself an ipad in the next week and I have narrowed it down to two choices based on price. The ipad mini 64gb or the ipad retina display 32gb. Both are similar price range for what I want and although the retina is a better spec the mini is such a good size and has double the memory.

Any main reasons why I should pick either or?
Old 23 December 2012, 08:51 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.

But depends what you are going to do on it. I looked at the Mini, perfect for reading, e.g. Kindle, iBooks etc. but awful for A4 sized PDF docs, e.g. Technical reading.

Surfing is fine on the Mini but better on the bigger screen iPad.

Mini is nice, full size is better for most stuff I do.

If the Mini's get cheaper or get Retina, I'll get one for reading books on, but little else and keep my full iPad for all the other stuff.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 December 2012, 08:53 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

go for the ipad mini, better size , lighter and that extra storage will come in handy with all these big games and apps now

But be ready for the ipad mini 2 coming next spring
Old 23 December 2012, 09:06 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

If its for around the house go for the iPad. If its to take travelling ie on the train go for the mini.
Old 23 December 2012, 10:20 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Not to throw a curve ball and not knocking the ipad and mini but have you considered the nexus 7 if you'd going for the mini, fair enough if you go for the ipad as although the nexus 10 is good the ipad still comes out on top but the as for the mini from what I've read the nexus 7 is better, food for thought
Old 23 December 2012, 10:45 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I just bought the ipad retina beauty and its awesome! Nuff said
Old 23 December 2012, 11:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Not to throw a curve ball and not knocking the ipad and mini but have you considered the nexus 7 if you'd going for the mini, fair enough if you go for the ipad as although the nexus 10 is good the ipad still comes out on top but the as for the mini from what I've read the nexus 7 is better, food for thought

I have an android tablet so Im not interested in another one. I was looking at the Surface but it has limited apps/games so that one is out.
Old 30 December 2012, 10:05 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ipad retina

New processor new screen, more longevity to life cycle, apple are ***** for not supported stuff, as as ipad mini is cheap I see this being unsupported well before a6 processor, otherwise ipad 2 owners will be running a while yet, and apple won't want that.

Ipad mini old processor old screen but very portable. Bought my son one its a nice bit of kit. But I prefer the ipad retina mini looks a bit squashed and my eyes are getting old

Steve surface pro is out in a week or 3 that's the proper one, win8 pro USB 3 core i5

Holy grail at the moment in win tablets is the sony duo 11 but its over a grand

Last edited by Littleted; 30 December 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 31 December 2012, 09:57 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Been reading on the tech bulletins that Apple maybe announcing yet another Ipad Mini for sale in March, with the same or sameish specs as the current IPad 4 which came out in November (A6 Chip, Quad Core , Retina etc..).

Link here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-due-in-march/

Last edited by jpor; 31 December 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 31 December 2012, 10:16 AM
Lee_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Ipad retina

New processor new screen, more longevity to life cycle, apple are ***** for not supported stuff, as as ipad mini is cheap I see this being unsupported well before a6 processor, otherwise ipad 2 owners will be running a while yet, and apple won't want that.

Ipad mini old processor old screen but very portable. Bought my son one its a nice bit of kit. But I prefer the ipad retina mini looks a bit squashed and my eyes are getting old

Steve surface pro is out in a week or 3 that's the proper one, win8 pro USB 3 core i5

Here's the answer.

I bought the GF a Ipad retina for christmas. The mini is old tech vs the new tech of the Ipad.

My personal preference as well is that the Ipad is the perfect size for a tablet device.
Old 31 December 2012, 10:41 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I get confused by the versions of Ipad. The recent Ipad with Retina is another name for Ipad 4 right?

If so why do apple still mention the Ipad 2 and not the 3 in their comparison list:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare
Old 31 December 2012, 12:58 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I get confused by the versions of Ipad. The recent Ipad with Retina is another name for Ipad 4 right?

If so why do apple still mention the Ipad 2 and not the 3 in their comparison list:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare
They have discontinued the 3rd gen iPad.

Old 31 December 2012, 01:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted

I'm currently in America and the surface can be bought virtually anywhere for $499 with rt windows or $599 with normal windows but I looked into it and they say games are very limited so its really just an expensive Internet browser with with good connectivity.

I bought the 32gig mini as it will get a lot of the games I like on it and typing is just like using a huge phone. I'm actually posting from it now and the good thing is it was only £283 from the Apple store .

It's much better than my old HTC flyer and apart from CPU and screen res it has all the spec of the new iPad, I just need to find a case for it as its still in its plastic wrapper.
Old 31 December 2012, 07:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, the iPad 3 / 4 thing.
Not sure if the 2nd Gen iPad, was officially called iPad 2, but pretty sure it was.
The 3rd Generation iPad, what the vast majority call iPad 3, was named by Apple as "The new iPad", ie; no actual model designation on it, so it was a bit confusing.

The 3rd Gen was the first iPad with retina display. It came out in US / Canada / UK and other places in March 2012. It has an A5X processor and 1GB RAM. It was discontinued in October 2012

The 4th Gen is the currently latest full sized iPad. It too is retina. It has an A6X processor (think Apple said it's twice as fast as the A5X) and also 1GB RAM, it was introduced in October 2012. It also has the new lightning connector.

I think the iPad 2 is still for sale, for those who want a full size non-retina iPad, plus for Apple to reduce the inventory of the devices they have.

iPad mini is NOT retina, about the same speed as an iPad 2 (I think). Also has lightning connector.

Rumors are that an iPad 5th Generation and iPad mini 2nd generation could appear in spring 2013. Mini would probably be retina at that point, no idea what they'd put in the 5th gen full size though?
Old 31 December 2012, 11:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

If they do bring out a retina mini the price will obviously go up and it's already in a top price bracket as it is. I don't think anyone (normal people) will pay the premium for an overpriced retina mini?
Old 02 January 2013, 01:56 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Ok, the iPad 3 / 4 thing.
Not sure if the 2nd Gen iPad, was officially called iPad 2, but pretty sure it was.
The 3rd Generation iPad, what the vast majority call iPad 3, was named by Apple as "The new iPad", ie; no actual model designation on it, so it was a bit confusing.

The 3rd Gen was the first iPad with retina display. It came out in US / Canada / UK and other places in March 2012. It has an A5X processor and 1GB RAM. It was discontinued in October 2012

The 4th Gen is the currently latest full sized iPad. It too is retina. It has an A6X processor (think Apple said it's twice as fast as the A5X) and also 1GB RAM, it was introduced in October 2012. It also has the new lightning connector.

I think the iPad 2 is still for sale, for those who want a full size non-retina iPad, plus for Apple to reduce the inventory of the devices they have.

iPad mini is NOT retina, about the same speed as an iPad 2 (I think). Also has lightning connector.

Rumors are that an iPad 5th Generation and iPad mini 2nd generation could appear in spring 2013. Mini would probably be retina at that point, no idea what they'd put in the 5th gen full size though?
The 5th gen Ipad is rumoured to be thinner and lighter to start with.
Old 02 January 2013, 02:02 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IPAD Mini is same guts is IPAD 2 but has SIRI and lightning connector. retina is only on IPAD 4th Gen.

id personally wait for Mini retina or IPAD 4s