ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Retina ipad or mini (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/959894-retina-ipad-or-mini.html)

stevebt 23 December 2012 08:27 PM

Retina ipad or mini

I'm looking at buying myself an ipad in the next week and I have narrowed it down to two choices based on price. The ipad mini 64gb or the ipad retina display 32gb. Both are similar price range for what I want and although the retina is a better spec the mini is such a good size and has double the memory.

Any main reasons why I should pick either or?

IWatkins 23 December 2012 08:51 PM

No. :)

But depends what you are going to do on it. I looked at the Mini, perfect for reading, e.g. Kindle, iBooks etc. but awful for A4 sized PDF docs, e.g. Technical reading.

Surfing is fine on the Mini but better on the bigger screen iPad.

Mini is nice, full size is better for most stuff I do.

If the Mini's get cheaper or get Retina, I'll get one for reading books on, but little else and keep my full iPad for all the other stuff.

Cheers

Ian

SwissTony 23 December 2012 08:53 PM

go for the ipad mini, better size , lighter and that extra storage will come in handy with all these big games and apps now

But be ready for the ipad mini 2 coming next spring :D

Wish 23 December 2012 09:06 PM

If its for around the house go for the iPad. If its to take travelling ie on the train go for the mini.

stevie1982 23 December 2012 10:20 PM

Not to throw a curve ball and not knocking the ipad and mini but have you considered the nexus 7 if you'd going for the mini, fair enough if you go for the ipad as although the nexus 10 is good the ipad still comes out on top but the as for the mini from what I've read the nexus 7 is better, food for thought

scooblet 23 December 2012 10:45 PM

I just bought the ipad retina beauty and its awesome! Nuff said

stevebt 23 December 2012 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 10917065)
Not to throw a curve ball and not knocking the ipad and mini but have you considered the nexus 7 if you'd going for the mini, fair enough if you go for the ipad as although the nexus 10 is good the ipad still comes out on top but the as for the mini from what I've read the nexus 7 is better, food for thought

I have an android tablet so Im not interested in another one. I was looking at the Surface but it has limited apps/games so that one is out.

Littleted 30 December 2012 10:05 AM

Ipad retina

New processor new screen, more longevity to life cycle, apple are twats for not supported stuff, as as ipad mini is cheap I see this being unsupported well before a6 processor, otherwise ipad 2 owners will be running a while yet, and apple won't want that.

Ipad mini old processor old screen but very portable. Bought my son one its a nice bit of kit. But I prefer the ipad retina mini looks a bit squashed and my eyes are getting old

Steve surface pro is out in a week or 3 that's the proper one, win8 pro USB 3 core i5

Holy grail at the moment in win tablets is the sony duo 11 but its over a grand

jpor 31 December 2012 09:57 AM

Been reading on the tech bulletins that Apple maybe announcing yet another Ipad Mini for sale in March, with the same or sameish specs as the current IPad 4 which came out in November (A6 Chip, Quad Core , Retina etc..).

Link here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-due-in-march/

Lee_ 31 December 2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 10923388)
Ipad retina

New processor new screen, more longevity to life cycle, apple are twats for not supported stuff, as as ipad mini is cheap I see this being unsupported well before a6 processor, otherwise ipad 2 owners will be running a while yet, and apple won't want that.

Ipad mini old processor old screen but very portable. Bought my son one its a nice bit of kit. But I prefer the ipad retina mini looks a bit squashed and my eyes are getting old

Steve surface pro is out in a week or 3 that's the proper one, win8 pro USB 3 core i5

Here's the answer.

I bought the GF a Ipad retina for christmas. The mini is old tech vs the new tech of the Ipad.

My personal preference as well is that the Ipad is the perfect size for a tablet device.

P1Fanatic 31 December 2012 10:41 AM

I get confused by the versions of Ipad. The recent Ipad with Retina is another name for Ipad 4 right?

If so why do apple still mention the Ipad 2 and not the 3 in their comparison list:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

Aaron1978 31 December 2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 10925004)
I get confused by the versions of Ipad. The recent Ipad with Retina is another name for Ipad 4 right?

If so why do apple still mention the Ipad 2 and not the 3 in their comparison list:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

They have discontinued the 3rd gen iPad.

:thumb:

stevebt 31 December 2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 10923388)

I'm currently in America and the surface can be bought virtually anywhere for $499 with rt windows or $599 with normal windows but I looked into it and they say games are very limited so its really just an expensive Internet browser with with good connectivity.

I bought the 32gig mini as it will get a lot of the games I like on it and typing is just like using a huge phone. I'm actually posting from it now and the good thing is it was only £283 from the Apple store :D.

It's much better than my old HTC flyer and apart from CPU and screen res it has all the spec of the new iPad, I just need to find a case for it as its still in its plastic wrapper.

Markus 31 December 2012 07:22 PM

Ok, the iPad 3 / 4 thing.
Not sure if the 2nd Gen iPad, was officially called iPad 2, but pretty sure it was.
The 3rd Generation iPad, what the vast majority call iPad 3, was named by Apple as "The new iPad", ie; no actual model designation on it, so it was a bit confusing.

The 3rd Gen was the first iPad with retina display. It came out in US / Canada / UK and other places in March 2012. It has an A5X processor and 1GB RAM. It was discontinued in October 2012

The 4th Gen is the currently latest full sized iPad. It too is retina. It has an A6X processor (think Apple said it's twice as fast as the A5X) and also 1GB RAM, it was introduced in October 2012. It also has the new lightning connector.

I think the iPad 2 is still for sale, for those who want a full size non-retina iPad, plus for Apple to reduce the inventory of the devices they have.

iPad mini is NOT retina, about the same speed as an iPad 2 (I think). Also has lightning connector.

Rumors are that an iPad 5th Generation and iPad mini 2nd generation could appear in spring 2013. Mini would probably be retina at that point, no idea what they'd put in the 5th gen full size though?

stevebt 31 December 2012 11:05 PM

If they do bring out a retina mini the price will obviously go up and it's already in a top price bracket as it is. I don't think anyone (normal people) will pay the premium for an overpriced retina mini?

jpor 02 January 2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 10925817)
Ok, the iPad 3 / 4 thing.
Not sure if the 2nd Gen iPad, was officially called iPad 2, but pretty sure it was.
The 3rd Generation iPad, what the vast majority call iPad 3, was named by Apple as "The new iPad", ie; no actual model designation on it, so it was a bit confusing.

The 3rd Gen was the first iPad with retina display. It came out in US / Canada / UK and other places in March 2012. It has an A5X processor and 1GB RAM. It was discontinued in October 2012

The 4th Gen is the currently latest full sized iPad. It too is retina. It has an A6X processor (think Apple said it's twice as fast as the A5X) and also 1GB RAM, it was introduced in October 2012. It also has the new lightning connector.

I think the iPad 2 is still for sale, for those who want a full size non-retina iPad, plus for Apple to reduce the inventory of the devices they have.

iPad mini is NOT retina, about the same speed as an iPad 2 (I think). Also has lightning connector.

Rumors are that an iPad 5th Generation and iPad mini 2nd generation could appear in spring 2013. Mini would probably be retina at that point, no idea what they'd put in the 5th gen full size though?

The 5th gen Ipad is rumoured to be thinner and lighter to start with.

Littleted 02 January 2013 02:02 PM

IPAD Mini is same guts is IPAD 2 but has SIRI and lightning connector. retina is only on IPAD 4th Gen.

id personally wait for Mini retina or IPAD 4s :)