Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

GRUB errors

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2012, 07:17 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRUB errors

Finally got round to fixing my mess about PC, and I'm trying to install Windows Vista, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12. I can get both Windows to install and run, but whenever I try to install Ubuntu it messes the bootloader up. Tried to get Windows to fix the mbr so that it could run again, but didn't have any luck. Found in BIOS after some time that the boot order of the 2 hard drives was wrong? Swapped them round and windows could boot again not sure how this could have changed, but as soon as I install Linux, I get no operating system found errors. Before I swapped the boot order I was getting the GRUB rescue shell with file system not recognised errors. I think my hard drives are running in RAID, when I try to partition the drives they show up as one. Also it appears as /dev/mapper/nvidia_somerandomcrap. I partition an ext4 a linux swap and 2 ntfs partitions. Install Linux to the root of my ext4 partition, and I've tried to install the bootloader to various different places (/dev/sda, /dev/mapper/nvidia_xxx, /dev/mapper/nvidia_xxx/ext4 etc...). When I re-install Windows it only sees one partition and it's a different size to any I have created. Has anyone got any ideas? I have no idea what I'm doing

Edit: It's worth noting that before I did any of this I reset the BIOS CMOS as part of getting the PC back up and running. I've tried to disable RAID in BIOS as well as I'm pretty sure this is causing me the problems, but it doesn't seem to have disabled it?

Another Edit: Found this after some googling, sounds like the problem I'm having, will try it later: http://www.softwaretalk.info/nvidia-...dia-issues.htm

Last edited by Saint AAI; 05 March 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05 March 2012, 12:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem, got fed up with it and just ran windows 7.
Old 05 March 2012, 02:15 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking I'm going to stick to Windows and leave linux alone until I can get my hands on a Raspberry Pi. The stupid thing is, if I do get it all to work, I'll never use it and it will sit in the corner like it has done since I bought it. While I can't get it all to work as I want, I feel compelled to mess around with it.
Old 05 March 2012, 02:36 PM
Springs
Scooby Regular

if you can't get it to work just run windows and run ubuntu under VM if you want to mess around with it..
Old 05 March 2012, 08:32 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Springs
if you can't get it to work just run windows and run ubuntu under VM if you want to mess around with it..
+1 only i run Windows XP in Virtualbox