Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new to OSX

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2011, 12:49 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to OSX

So, my g/f is now using osx and keeps asking windows-ey questions I know most of, but...

in Finder, when looking at a directory in icon mode, how do you sort them by name descending, z thru a?

you can do this in list view, but not icon view.
Old 03 July 2011, 01:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I cannot find a way to do this in Icon view. I did think you could switch to list, reverse sort, then switch to Icon view and it would retain the order, but it does not appear to work.
Old 03 July 2011, 01:36 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

It doesn't :-(

I'm getting hassle as the osx proponent who's convinced her to go mac and she's coming up with things like this.

It's not how I work, so I haven't run into this one.

The other one is iTunes not syncing the camera roll. You're expected to use the camera capture utility as if you're using a digital camera. Except on windows the phone shows as a drive.

Then there's maximising windows. "that's not how you work on a mac" is suddenly moot, because it's the new feature in Lion. So we don't have a leg to stand on.

Old 03 July 2011, 02:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

just use iPhoto to sync the photos automatically, on lion theres a button next to the other 3 that will arrange them , is that not on SL? i can't remember
Old 03 July 2011, 03:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

**** it then, stick Windows on it

Why does she need to reverse sort by name in icon mode? Another option might be to change the view option to "Cover Flow". It splits the window with pictures up top in a left to right scrollable view, and the bottom half is the file name, now, that is in list view, so you can then reverse sort it and flick through that way. Is that any use?

Camera roll sync thing is a little odd, but I think it's because you're expected to use either image capture (it is technically a camera) or iPhoto to get pictures off the device.

Maximize windows, yeah, ok, fair enough, the button you expect to do that, well, doesn't. Just sets max height, rather than max width and height. Never really understood why not (or cannot remember why not!)
Old 03 July 2011, 03:54 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Lol, I did suggest another windows machine.
Old 04 July 2011, 12:27 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Maximize windows, yeah, ok, fair enough, the button you expect to do that, well, doesn't. Just sets max height, rather than max width and height. Never really understood why not (or cannot remember why not!)
This was bugging me. Wife has a Mac and often asks various Q's. I still don't get why Apple seems to want you to work in small windows, maximising seems to be quite a chore.
Old 04 July 2011, 12:35 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

it's coming in OSX Lion - you know Apple invented maximized windows? lol

I only ever maximize windows for photoshop and bridge - and the (+) button already does this for those apps. i have a 27" screen - full size windows are ridiculous for most things.
Old 04 July 2011, 12:42 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Ah, she has an 11" Air. LOL
Old 04 July 2011, 02:40 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

thread's a bit shorter now
Old 04 July 2011, 04:00 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Draconian mods strike again!!
Old 04 July 2011, 04:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Shame really as jpl made a very good point
Old 04 July 2011, 05:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

< bite tongue mode on >
As suggested by the other user whose comment has been deleted, the reason I asked the question was to find out why the user wanted a reverse alpha-sort in icon mode, it was a genuine question and not some way to try and explain away what some may consider a failing of OS X.
< bite tongue mode off >
Old 04 July 2011, 05:27 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

two words: Off Topic
Old 04 July 2011, 05:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm now using my wife's shiny new MacBook Pro and she has my (work) Dell as she couldn't get on with OSX. She is not particularly interested in computers, and has been using Windows for years and couldn't work out why things were 'different' 'painful' etc..

OSX for me is fine and the MacBook dual-boots (with Bootcamp) into Windows 7.

I have to say that VMWare Fusion is a brilliant piece of software. Whilst in Mac OSX I can run the Bootcamp instance as a virtual machine and then tell it run on in 'Unity' Mode which makes all the applications running in the VM behave as proper applications on the Mac. I have no idea how this works but it is incredibly impressive.
Old 04 July 2011, 05:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
two words: Off Topic
No it wasn't. The standard answer from some of the Apple users on here when something doesn't work in OSX/iPhone/iWhatever is to suggest you don't try and do whatever it is that doesn't work. e.g. mail accounts that don't work on the iPhone - the advice is to get rid of those mail accounts... the tail wagging the dog if ever I heard it. I was just pointing this out so this one didn't go the same way.

Anyway all sorted now as she is back to using a proper computer with Wndows on it
Old 04 July 2011, 08:23 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
No it wasn't. The standard answer from some of the Apple users on here when something doesn't work in OSX/iPhone/iWhatever is to suggest you don't try and do whatever it is that doesn't work. e.g. mail accounts that don't work on the iPhone - the advice is to get rid of those mail accounts... the tail wagging the dog if ever I heard it. I was just pointing this out so this one didn't go the same way.

Anyway all sorted now as she is back to using a proper computer with Wndows on it
No-one suggested that you should not do something that way or make excuses as to why it didn't work.

There was a simple question asked to see whether there was an alternative solution.

Quit with your constant griping and moaning about Apple and their users as it is getting very boring. Try and be constructive or don't bother posting at all.

Jason
Old 04 July 2011, 09:35 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I have to say that VMWare Fusion is a brilliant piece of software. Whilst in Mac OSX I can run the Bootcamp instance as a virtual machine and then tell it run on in 'Unity' Mode which makes all the applications running in the VM behave as proper applications on the Mac. I have no idea how this works but it is incredibly impressive.
Same with parallels! Absolute voodoo, but it works really well.
Old 05 July 2011, 12:24 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1
Quit with your constant griping and moaning about Apple and their users as it is getting very boring. Try and be constructive or don't bother posting at all.

Jason
My comment makes it perfectly clear as to why I posted. Deal with it!
Old 05 July 2011, 11:48 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Suz found another one!

Apparently you cannot paste a folder of items onto another same named folder of items without the target folder's items being deleted first!

windows and linux would simply merge all the items into the target folder.

why haven't i come across this?!
Old 05 July 2011, 12:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Suz found another one!

Apparently you cannot paste a folder of items onto another same named folder of items without the target folder's items being deleted first!

windows and linux would simply merge all the items into the target folder.

why haven't i come across this?!
My guess is because you would open the first folder, then select all, copy, and then open the other folder and paste the contents in. Actually, what you probably do is select all from the first folder and then option drag the files into the other folder, thus copying.

The situation you see is because OS X is assuming that as you are copying the folder entire, that you want to replace the existing one, rather than merge the two. Would be nice if it did ask you what you wanted to do, ie; overwrite or merge contents. Not sure if Lion is any smarter in this respect, probably not though.
Old 05 July 2011, 12:49 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I think i would go into the source folder to copy what i wanted, even if it was all files. this does seem more sensible to stay in control of what you're copying.

but still, lol. i wonder what she'll find next.

this would make a good windows -> mac blog!
Old 05 July 2011, 06:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, bit of an update on the copy / paste thing. ≤ 10.6.8, as mentioned above it will replace rather than merge. 10.7 (Lion) however, does merge, well, it offers the option to replace or "keep both" which merges them. Just tried it myself (thanks to Kevin for letting me use his machine), works perfectly.
Seems to be in the Finder info on Lion found here.

No idea why they did not demo this at WWDC, after a little googling about this, it seems it's a pet-hate for many people.

Last edited by Markus; 05 July 2011 at 06:39 PM.