Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OSX resources...

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 10:18 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OSX resources...

I've got myself a new mac mini and am fresh new to OSX

Can people who have gone through the same experience list what osx resources they found helpful, like
keyboard maps for windows keyboards
essential software for archiving, file utilities, internet, etc

it's been a decade since i touched unix, so is there a handy site people use to get back into osx's version of unix?

any hidden configs i 'must do' for security, to make life easier

I'm basically going to be using it to code iPhone apps, so any dev tips would be useful too - I've got xcode and iphone dev cookbook books on their way

thanks for any tips in advance
Old 22 January 2009, 12:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OS X's unix isn't much different to most other implementations of *nix. 10.5 uses bash as the default shell, but supports others, such as ksh.
I did have some huge tome on OS X when it first came out that had various unix commands in there. Can't remember what it was called though. This lists the commands in OS X's version of unix, not sure how handy that will be.

Oh, root isn't enabled by default, so a "sudo passwd root" in terminal will get it enabled for you. I know, people say don't enable root, but it's handy to have it, should you need it.

When you say "security" what are you talking about. Security from local people, in which case, "System Preferences -> Security -> Enable password when waking from sleep or screensaver" should be pretty good to stop someone prying.

If you're on about attacks from the internet. Well, if you're already behind a firewall, you should be ok, as you would be with a PC. You can download Flying Buttress to provide a nice GUI to ipfw. 10.5 does have a firewall, but the interface is somewhat limited, hence using FB.

As for essential software. Let's see. BBEdit for text editing. Interarchy for FTP/HTTP and other downloads. Adium for messaging (it's a multi protocol client). Stuffit Deluxe for management of archives.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:38 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

thanks, that's helpful