Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can Someone Please Explain IP Addresses?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2010, 01:07 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Can Someone Please Explain IP Addresses?

Hi all,

After reading the thread in non-scooby related, I started wondering about ISPs collecting data. I understand they record every website you've been on, but what exactly is it they record to know where it came from, your IP address? I ask the question because after a quick look on google etc, I found a website that told me my IP location was in Edinburgh. That's hardly an exact location, so how do they pinpoint people? And is it really as simple as just using a proxy to maintain privacy?
Old 20 December 2010, 01:26 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep this as non technical as possible as I don't know what your level of knowledge is on the subject.

Most likely your using ADSL to connect to the net so you'll have a router, within which there is a modem, when you switch the router on the modem inside talks to another one at the BT exchange, once that connection is made your router then establishes a connection to your ISP's network at which point it is allocated an IP address.

Your ISP is able to keep a track of what IP address your router has been assigned because as part of the connection process a username and password is used so they know who has which IP address, they can then track all activity from each IP and see exactly what you've been up to.

From time to time the IP address allocated to your router will change but as above due to the username and password they still know the new IP is being used by you.

Last edited by bgood; 20 December 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: x
Old 20 December 2010, 01:32 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bgood
I'll keep this as non technical as possible as I don't know what your level of knowledge is on the subject.

Most likely your using ADSL to connect to the net so you'll have a router, within which there is a modem, when you switch the router on the modem inside talks to another one at the BT exchange, once that connection is made your router then establishes a connection to your ISP's network at which point it is allocated an IP address.

Your ISP is able to keep a track of what IP address your router has been assigned because as part of the connection process a username and password is used so they know who has which IP address, they can then track all activity from each IP and see exactly what you've been up to.

From time to time the IP address allocated to your router will change but as above due to the username and password they still know the new IP is being used by you.
It's almost non-existent . Cheers for the explanation. So when you hear about encrypted tunnels, etc, that ISPs can't see, that doesn't apply with the setup most folk have? Fair enough, I suppose, it's their service you're using.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 20 December 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 20 December 2010, 01:39 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some my friend use this Tor Project,which is good http://www.torproject.org/
Old 20 December 2010, 02:22 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

You can get around it using an encrypted tunnel or VPN as they are more commonly known, if you use one all the data going to and from your PC is encrypted so your ISP won't be able to see what you are doing but you usually have to pay for that kind of service.

I'll try and explain how it works, between you and the internet is your ISP's network so to get to the internet you have to send your data through your ISP's network and they can therefore see everything you send or receive. So if you create a VPN you are connecting directly to another device somewhere on the internet and all the traffic you send or receive is encrypted so although you ISP can see that there is traffic going back and fourth they can't decypher any of it, so they don't know what you're up to. Also in this kind of setup you normally connect to a proxy so if someone is monitoring a particular website for instance, they'll see connections coming in from all around the world and normally they would see one from the IP of your router but with a proxy the IP they see is of the proxy, so you effectively have 2 layers of protection.

The most common problem with using a VPN is that if you leave your machine unattended the VPN connection may drop and they don't always automatically re-establish so then everything going back and fourth can be seen by your ISP.

HTH
Old 20 December 2010, 02:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Very interesting stuff. I notice someone on the thread in NSR mentioned 'Hidemyass.com', so I took a look at that, and they provide a VPN service - which you have to pay for, as you say. But presumably then your traffic is going through a third party? I found links on google to some security forums suggesting it may not be that secure - or at least not their preference - for that reason? I've also read about the connection dropping, as you say.

Again, very interesting, but I guess this is all a bit OTT for the average torrent user. Lol
Old 20 December 2010, 02:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Very interesting stuff. I notice someone on the thread in NSR mentioned 'Hidemyass.com', so I took a look at that, and they provide a VPN service - which you have to pay for, as you say. But presumably then your traffic is going through a third party? I found links on google to some security forums suggesting it may not be that secure - or at least not their preference - for that reason? I've also read about the connection dropping, as you say.

Again, very interesting, but I guess this is all a bit OTT for the average torrent user. Lol
HidemyIP is biggest scam on people,this software nothing hide.Try Tor project,install and after just try this http://whatismyipaddress.com/
Old 20 December 2010, 03:16 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Depends what your downloading via torrents really
Old 20 December 2010, 03:23 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

newsgroups using an SSL port. much better than torrents
Old 20 December 2010, 03:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by bigsinky
I'm a newsgroups user, but I use Grabit or Newsbin Pro to download, can you use SSL with those? I always thought SSL was a HTTP thing?

Geezer
Old 20 December 2010, 04:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bgood
Depends what your downloading via torrents really
I'd define the average torrent user as a music downloader.

Originally Posted by bigsinky
I had looked into newsgroups before. Do they not require loads of bandwidth and/or memory?
Old 20 December 2010, 05:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

because IP address's have to be registered to someone (ISP or Large Company etc) by a regional registrar it is possible to get basic location details from it. This is freely available information abd the amount of detail held in the central database regarding the IP address determines how accurate the data is.

The ISP's use a AAA server (or sometimes called Radius Server) to control your logon process

AAA - stand for

Accounting – logs the IP address you get assigned against your connection details and records when and how long you have been connected for (this is how they know it is yourusername@yourisp.com (your logon name) – which in turn will be registered to your address)

Authorisation and Authentication
Which basically confirms who you are (Authentication) and what you can do (Authorisation)
These three “tools” allow the ISP when asked – by a company (Sony the Government etc) to confirm it was you and supply them with your billing details.
The ISP may well log your website activity as well – but this is no different from your employer

I have to add that all they have is an IP address, this will be assigned to your router, it does not identify what actual device that connected to a webserver on the internet via the router is

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 December 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 20 December 2010, 06:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the explanation, that's cleared a few things up.

I guess your last point is the danger of having an unprotected WiFi network, in that someone could connect and use it for any purpose they liked, and the blame would fall on you.
Old 20 December 2010, 07:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

correct --- and to complicate matters even further (for the authorities)

it is quite easy for people to "spoof" IP adresses

and some people (people who host fileshare sites etc) inject 100's of thousands of random IP addresses into the communication stream

so the data that is collected by 3rd party companies -- who then sell it to Sony etc contains crap data
Old 20 December 2010, 10:11 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
I'm a newsgroups user, but I use Grabit or Newsbin Pro to download, can you use SSL with those? I always thought SSL was a HTTP thing?

Geezer

you can configure newsbin pro to use a SSL, under the options tab. dont forget to use the SSL news address though.
Old 23 December 2010, 10:35 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

coming from a cough say jaded background all in the past.

newsgroups with SSL ro Private FTP are the only way forward for all you didgy fackers.

basics are you have an IP given to you by your ISP, most things pinpoint u to a location, the ISP owns the IP range pretty simple to find your port on the switch and where u live or who OWNED the lease at that point.

dont kid yourself , dont use P2P

Think of an IP like a phone number U know the Area code but no idea where they live , Speak to the company that provides said number and bang

Giganews SSL Diamond and play safe
Old 23 December 2010, 10:38 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for all you guys wanting some area to get stuff

www.newzbin.com or www.nzbmatrix.com

use a program like Newsleecher and its easy, Finf ya stuff IE demo Games and Pilots ( cough )

dload the NBZ file that automatically opens in newsleecher and files are leeched