Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TV or Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2010, 12:17 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TV or Monitor

Hoping someone can help with the best set-up.

I am going to get a new desktop computer for putting in our family area as the kids are getting old enough to need a computer for homework projects etc. I want the computer here so that we can monitor what websites they are looking at.

In the space there is not enough room to have a TV and a monitor so I would like to combine both.

So which is the best way to go

a) get a 26" TV and connect the computer to this through HDMI cable or monitor cable (depending on whether the PC has HDMI out)

or

b) get a big monitor 23/24" and get a TV adaptor for the PC?

Also what is the best wireless mouse/keyboard bundle to get, prices seem to range from <£10 up to £100.

Thanks

Mike
Old 26 February 2010, 12:31 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tbh an LCD TV is almost a monitor anyway. Same size / spec tv would generally cost more but then you dont need the addition of a tv card which you will for the PC.

Also prob with TV through the PC is you have to boot the pc up etc rather that just flick the power switch of a tv.

If you choose the PC route how about a Sling Box? If you have sky etc in your main living room then you can hook up the sling box to this (and connect it online via homeplugs etc). Then you can do pretty much whatever you do on Sky on your PC and even away from home.

Simon
Old 26 February 2010, 01:51 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Thanks P1, that was my initial thought of the way to go and you're spot on, having to turn on the PC just to get the telly would be a PITA!

I don't get Sky as happy with Freeview but would consider a sling box if this changes in the future.

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 February 2010, 03:50 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thing is you really want at least full HD / 1080p for a computer monitor (1920 x 1080) (16:9) and most TVs that size with only be 720p (1280 x 720). Okay for TV but not really enough on-screen space for PC usage.

Been trying to track down one of these myself as it seems to offer the best of both worlds but unfortunately seems to have gone out of production with no replacement announced yet: 24? T Model LCD MFM T240HD - Digital TV Monitor - Monitors | SAMSUNG

Need to look into other manufacturers to see what else is available.

Also as mentioned having to turn the computer on every time to watch TV could be a PITA, however the PC would provide all the "media centre" type functionality so able to pause/rewind/record live TV etc. like Sky+. Might be useful?

Regarding the wireless mouse / keyboard bundle, personally I have an aversion to the Logitech ones, the one I've got at home has a cr*p range and how now decided it doesn't want to charge the mouse batteries properly any more despite trying some new ones. It is going to be replaced soon! We also have Logitech ones at work in our conference rooms, also cr*p range, so not just mine. Brother has an M$ bluetooth one that seems to work well + plenty of range. Maybe worth a look.
Old 26 February 2010, 11:35 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

tbh, I can't tell the difference between a 22" monitor and a 42" LCD TV, apart from the monitor doesn't have inbuilt speakers, not top notch stuff mind.

But if, like me, you are a little bit concerned over power consumption, then look into some sort of sling device local to the kids TV
Old 27 February 2010, 01:05 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

With sites like TV CatchUp, SeeSaw and obviously BBC's iPlayer (And ITV, C4 and C5 variants) you don't need to add TV hardware to any PC. However, as others have said, whilst simply watching TV it's silly to run it through a PC when modern TV's are so cheap and are basically monitors anyway. You can get 1080p 22-26" sets, but for what they cost you may as well get a 32" and be done with it.

Toshiba REGZA 32RV635DB (32RV635) 32inch Full HD 1080p LCD Television with Freeview-Cheap Prices Shop Online Or In Store
Old 27 February 2010, 01:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If your using to watch TV/films, then get a TV:

Monitors, unless they are very high-end don't have the movement processing (motion interpolation) that a decent TV will have. Basically you're stuck with whatever max hz feed the monitor will accept (50, 60, 72 or 75hz), with that you get jerky movement - especially on panning.

Many people won't notice this (notably those who have cheap/old TVs), however once accustomed to smooth picture motion, its very notable and annoying when watching on a TV/monitor without decent motion processing.

Took me ages to figure why films wouldn't play smooth on my PC; wasn't the CPU, wasn't graphics card, wasn't the codecs, it was the monitor not having any decent motion processing (actually, none in my case - just a direct 60hz feed). Plugged in a TV with motion processing (Panasonic Viera Plasma) problem solved; silky smooth picture motion.
Old 27 February 2010, 01:59 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Buy Philips 32PFL5604H/12 LCD HD 1080p Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com inc excellen JL 5yr warranty √

Buy LCD All TVs from John Lewis

Or as you first requested.....22" 1080p....

http://www.johnlewis.com/230867604/Product.aspx

Last edited by corradoboy; 27 February 2010 at 02:00 AM.