Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

360: Installed MS Wheel, Now Other Controllers Can't Connect

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2010, 09:20 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360: Installed MS Wheel, Now Other Controllers Can't Connect

As title pretty much. I have installed a Microsoft force feedback wheel and it works correctly. I now want to play MW2 but The MS wheel seems to have taken over. Neither of my other wireless controllers will switch on or associate with the console in any way (even after the MS wheel has had its batteries taken out - necessary as it didn't seem to want to turn off). Before I installed the wheel they both worked faultlessly and they both have freshly charged batteries.

Is this a known issue and does anyone have a solution please?
Old 31 January 2010, 05:17 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Connect an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller to your Xbox 360 console
To connect the controller to your Xbox 360 console, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the Xbox Guide button until the controller turns on. The Xbox Guide button is the round button with the green "X" near the center of the controller.
2. Make sure that your Xbox 360 console is turned on. If your Xbox 360 console is not turned on, press the power button. The power button is the large round button on your Xbox 360 console.
3. On the Xbox 360 console, press and release the Connect button. The Connect button is the small round button on the Xbox 360 console.
4. On the controller, press and release the Connect button. The Connect button is the small button on the front edge of the controller, between the left bumper button and the charging port.
5. After the Ring of Light spins and flashes one time on the controller and on the console, the controller is connected. The quadrant on the Ring of Light that remains lit indicates the position in which the controller is connected.
Old 31 January 2010, 08:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Fails at step one: thats the problem!

It seems to have been an amazing coincidence, with the fact that the new wheel was installed being the coincidence. Both controllers were quite new, with one being used a reasonable amount and the other barely used at all. For a reason that I cant explain both controllers have needed the spring tab in the battery holder bending out slightly in order to make contact; and now they work. How they both failed on the same evening whilst left on a shelf I cant explain...

Simon
Old 01 February 2010, 09:25 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

But you can turn it on manually though and then go to step 2?
Old 03 February 2010, 09:12 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You couldnt turn either on. Ive solved the problem now but Im still confused. Both are one year old and the second controller is virtually unused. They both worked perfectly when turned off. A day later when came to turn them on again neither would power up. Ive 'poked' the metal tab out on the battery carrier on both and they now work. Im at a loss to explain why both controllers failed in this way when they did and I can only assume that the MS wheel fitting was only a coincidence.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:20 PM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

GC8 this is a common problem on controllers some people just solder a bit of metal on the battery pack so they make a better contact with the three sprung contacts.
Old 07 February 2010, 03:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

So I understand. What I dont understand is how two controllers (both one year old; one used a reasonable amount and the other virtually unused) can work perfectly up until the same evening: and then both fail in the same way whilst sitting untouched on a shelf.

Simon
Old 08 February 2010, 09:01 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Mate, it's easy to work it out...

It's the missus, I'd take a wire out of the plug on her GHD's in revenge.
Old 08 February 2010, 11:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

She's adamant that she hasnt touched them. Emma bought me the MS FF wheel and Forza3 too, so Im inclined to believe her.....