Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Change over from Windows to Mac?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2010, 03:24 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change over from Windows to Mac?

Hi guys,

My laptop (I don't have a desk top) is coming towards the end of its life. I have always used a windows based system. Computers don't come naturally to me and its taken me a number of years to get to a decent working level.

I don't do anything fancy, surf the web, word processing, put together presentations, photos etc.

I'm toying with moving over to the mac but am scared I'll be lost and back to where I was 5 years ago! Also a mac with a decent sized screen is about twice the cost of a good Dell, why?
My other worry is that I have a part time secretary who does some admin work for me on a pc,puts it on a usb stick then gives it to me. Will that still work?

Can any of the Mac users here convince me that its worthwhile to make the changover?

Thanks
Old 18 January 2010, 04:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the haters get in...

Macs are ****, they cost twice us much because people are sheep, blah, blah, blah.

Now I have that over and done with...
The price difference is, well, Apple knows they can get away with it. Yes the design is nice, but it should not really dictate a larger cost.

With the new Intel based Macs you can dual boot OS X and Windows, plus you can run Windows in a virtual machine whilst running OS X at the same time.

I've switch a friend of mine over from PC to a Mac recently and there are differences, but he's picked it up pretty quickly and only has the odd question now and then. He did also sign up for Apple's One-on-One sessions to learn how to use the Mac, so that might be something worth considering.

As for the secretary, what applications does she use? If it's Office (Word / Excel) then there are Mac versions of said products and so the files can be opened, you could even use OpenOffice for Mac as well. The "Pages" application in Apple's iWork suite also reads and writes Word files too.

I think it's somewhat obvious that I'd be biased when it comes to wether you should go with a Mac :d However, for what you want to do, a Mac would be just as good as a PC, and with the advantage of Dual booting / Virtual Machines, you can still run the machine as a normal Windows based PC should you need to, so I'd say it's the best of both worlds.
Old 18 January 2010, 05:07 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Yes a Mac would be just as good as a PC for what you want to do....but you'll pay twice the price for it.......and you'll have to learn how to use it all over again.

No brainer for me really.

P.S I'm not a Mac-hater.
Old 18 January 2010, 05:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Have a read through this forum and you'll find hundreds of reports from people who can't belive they waited so long to switch. I don't remember one unhappy person. Now, the cost, what you're paying for is a totally intergrated system, PC's are the kit car of the computer world. Cheap, cheerfull and often a copy of another great design.
Old 18 January 2010, 06:08 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Once you go Mac you never go back

I've owned a Mac for a couple of months now and, as Jack said, I can't believe it had taken me this long to switch.

If you can get past the price difference and take the plunge you'll quickly find out why people love them.

Old 18 January 2010, 06:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it's just my perception, and obviously I'm biased, but Macs do seem to last longer than PC's. I've got Macs that are at least six if not more years old and they are still as robust as the day they were purchased. They also run all but the very latest operating system (10.5 and not 10.6 as the latter requires intel based machines and these older ones are PowerPC based).

I've had PC's less than two years require maintenance in the form of replacing graphics cards, or network cards that have failed. I've even had on-board ethernet fail on one motherboard, thus requiring a replacement.

I do know of mac users that have required logic board changes, some of them very early in the ownership life cycle too, but after that, things have been rock solid for them.

I can hand on heart say that I cannot recall anyone who I have personally met who have switched over that has switched back completely to windows or *nix based OS.

I even know one or two people who run their iMacs in Windows for 99% of the time, the only time they switch to OS X is when a new firmware update comes out, or there are updated boot camp drivers or an OS update. Why do they do this, rather than run a normal PC, well, the answer they gave was a little pathetic "I like the look of the iMac".
Old 18 January 2010, 06:38 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I've just swapped from a PC to an iMac - wish I'd done it years ago.

Only thing I'm having problems with is getting Windows to run in virtualisation, other than that its spot on. The Build quality of the hardware is very good & OSX has some great features, like Time Machine, preview, spotlight & bootcamp.
Old 18 January 2010, 06:41 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Markus, excuse my ignorance on this but if I were to run windows on a Mac does that open me up to all the viruses that I believe the Mac offers some protection from?

Thanks again
Old 18 January 2010, 06:46 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't know why people love them compared to a PC. I'm not saying I think PCs are brilliant and Macs are rubbish, I just don't see what differences people latch on to and never go back.

These days I frequently switch between Macs and PCs at work and I'm always more comfortable using a PC. Because that's what I'm used to.

If I had a job to get done quickly (just basic stuff, browsing the web, copying a file) I'd go for a PC every time.

I have to admit some things like re-installing a Mac or checking for updates are dead simple compared to a PC. For non-IT literate people I can certainly see that as an advantage.

Plus we had a 27" Imac delivered this week, that was stunning.
Old 18 January 2010, 06:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks.

Markus, excuse my ignorance on this but if I were to run windows on a Mac does that open me up to all the viruses that I believe the Mac offers some protection from?

Thanks again
If you are booted into Windows via Boot Camp (dual boot) then you are running Windows in the same way you would be on a normal PC because the intel based machines are basically just PC's in a fancy dress

Therefore, yes, the windows side of things can become infected with a virus.

The same is also true if you run a virtual machine, it's the same as running windows on a PC, so the same rules apply.

Obviously when you're in OS X, that won't execute the virus as it's windows code rather than mac code so the mac won't do anything with it.

Some people believe that because they are running windows on a Mac that it somehow makes them immune, which is obviously complete tosh as it's down to the OS and not the hardware.

The reason AV software exists for Macs (clamXav is a good free unix AV solution) is really to prevent you from forwarding on a virus you have been sent or downloaded to a Windows based OS where it could/would be executed, and that could include Windows running on your Mac.

I've only run AV software in the past few years to check compatibility with our software products as it thought something our software did was due to an infection, which it was not. Beyond that I don't run AV as I don't see the need to.

Last edited by Markus; 18 January 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 18 January 2010, 06:58 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus.

If I use the Mac to open word/office documents using the mac software you mentioned in the first post (as opposed to running windows) am I then protected from Windows based infections?

Lostuser, one of my main reasons for considering the change is because of viruses. I'm paranoid about using internet banking etc because of viruses.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:02 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

run windows using parallels on the mac and you can switch between the two in an instant, or have all on the same desktop. Easy as.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:09 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Ah, less virus "issues" is definitely a good reason for changing for the average user.No doubt about that.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:59 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

I had the first iMac followed by the MacBook, i'm glad i swapped over, Macs in my opinion are a much nicer interface and are easy to use, everything is simpler, and it was rumoured the new Windows 7 was based on Mac's OS as it's nicer, which then they had to try and cover up
Old 18 January 2010, 08:10 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I switched over to Mac's 3 years ago and brought myself an 24" Intel iMac and I have never been so happy. Best bit of money I have spent on something.

I did not look at the price and said thats expensive for what you get, I saw beyond that as I liked the simple design and the operating system that is really easy to use. Plus Mac's just work where a PC does....erm...errrr...not

My friend who is a avid PC user is thinking about getting a apple computer of some sort as it likes them. Also his brother another PC fan has just recently brought a iPhone 3gs. I think my appleness has rubbed of on them.
Old 18 January 2010, 08:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

When I first got a Mac I was pleased but did not think it was life changing.

After a year I had to go back to regularly using a Wintel laptop from my client - it is ugly, clunky, slow and just generally nasty to use compared to the Mac.

The Mac is just easy and it just works (mostly, user stupidity allowing!)
Old 18 January 2010, 10:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks Markus.

If I use the Mac to open word/office documents using the mac software you mentioned in the first post (as opposed to running windows) am I then protected from Windows based infections?

Lostuser, one of my main reasons for considering the change is because of viruses. I'm paranoid about using internet banking etc because of viruses.
There are word macro viruses, which I believe could cause problems with Mac Office versions prior to Office 2008. However, office 2008 does not have support for Macros so that will prevent that kind of macro virus from causing problems.
Old 21 January 2010, 05:48 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Hearing similar things from many friends. I may well take the plunge, will get along to an applestore soon.

Can you huys just confirm that viruses, spyware etc are still rare on Mac's? Its one of my main reasons for going Mac.

Thanks again
Old 21 January 2010, 09:20 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have had no experience of viruses or spyware on a Mac.

Thinking about your question - I will be getting another laptop and possibly desktop this year. It is very unlikely that the laptop will not be a MacBook and it is very likely my Wintel desktop will become a Mac.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:04 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Never had to load a recover disc yet, quite common on PC's.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:37 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

dingdongler - being totally honest, I haven't read all the thread but I wanted to drop a quick response in to your first post ...

Personally I'm a pc geek through and through, run linux on 3 of my main machines, couple of pc's with xp on them for testing / development stuff plus a couple with server o/s's on them for the same reasons too. Fair to say my opinions lean towards pc's lol! BUT ....

My mum decided she wanted a mac (think it's the g5) because it looked nice as an all in one unit and was the now world known trendy white. She got by ok with her previous machine running xp but was no duck to water with it. More like the titanic to water with it really! I took the pi$$ and fully expected to be spending the evening sorting it out for her to get it up and running. Had to take back my comments when she had it all fired up and running, connected to our home wifi and was busy trundling round on the web.

Updates for it are usually completely stable and reasonably regular, have had no hardware issues with it at all and the one time there was a major problem (caused by her turning it off half way through a main update), the apple support guys were golden. Talked her through recovering it over the phone.

Have seen a couple of random problems here and there with software but to be fair, the software in question is third party stuff i.e. not mainstream and those with good mac experience or linux knowledge (like the guys on here) are more than able to help out to sort things out like that

All in all, much as I have my bias I really couldn't knock the mac she bought - it's been absolutely perfect for her. I'd almost go so far as to say it's a better system for general users than most too.

would still have a cheap crack about them using intel processors and essentially laptop components in some of their kit these days though but that's only to dangle bait at the hardcore pro-mac boys
Old 22 January 2010, 06:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
would still have a cheap crack about them using intel processors and essentially laptop components in some of their kit these days though but that's only to dangle bait at the hardcore pro-mac boys
That's OK - we still get all the benefits of Mac AND it means we can run Windows usually better and faster than the equivalent Wintel machine if we want to

I have some free time in London later this afternoon and I can feel a session at the Apple Store on Regent Street coming on
Old 22 January 2010, 01:01 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Not being a Mac user, I can't comment on useability. However, with regards to viruses etc. I havce yet to have a problem after using PCs for years and years.

If you have a decent AV there usually isn't a problem. There are also holes on the Mac OS, you just don't hear about them as much, in fact you could argue that complacency could lead to more exposure as people think Macs are invincible in this respect.

I find Win 7 eminently useable, perhaps it's more Mac-like, like some say but even if it is, then it's a lot more cost effective to go Windows.

Macs are like BMWs, you can get the same result using a Mondeo, but people like being seen in a BMW...........

There are less and less reasons for choosing Mac now, how long can they live on past kudos?

Geezer
Old 22 January 2010, 01:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't think there are less reasons for owning a Mac. One of the big things in recent years has been the ability to dual boot the mac. It might seem small, but if you have a need to run windows fully, ie; not via a Virtual Machine, then if you are using a Windows based PC you have to mess around to get OS X to run on it to allow for dual boot. There is also the fact that you might not have the latest version, plus if there are updates they will likely break the install you have.

If you are using an actual Mac then you won't have the problem running OS X, plus you can install Windows (XP SP2, Vista and Windows 7) onto the machine with much ease, and dual boot without needing to hack around with anything.

Ok, so that is only one reason, but for some I feel it is quite a big one. If you don't like OS X then worst case, permanently boot into Windows. Yes you have paid more for a fancy looking windows machine, but if you decide to give OS X another try then you just reboot into OS X without any problems at all, still don't like it, switch back with no messing around.