Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unlimited Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2009, 07:13 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited Broadband

My demon account limits me to 60Gb a month, and then throttles me back for 30 days. I pay £24 for this and am wondering about changing my provider.

Tried ringing BT, liked their Option 3, unlimited service, to then find out your capped at 50Gb a month, £1 for every Gb after that.

So, is there a true unlimited product, from any provider for around £24 a month ?

Also, I hate and I mean HATE the out sourced call center that Demon uses. I got cut off twice, I couldnt understand a word that was being said, and there was no way I spoke to a `Paul Smith` with an accent like that !

SBK
Old 06 May 2009, 07:15 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Be will charge you a lot less than that and is great.
pm your name and email if you want a referral that will save you the connection fee.

www.bethere.co.uk
Old 06 May 2009, 07:21 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Agree Demon call center is awful. Spent ages on the phone to them a few years ago.

Second vote for Be

See here for discussions about Be on the Computer Forum

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...-any-good.html
Old 06 May 2009, 07:41 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

02 are offereing true unlimited 20mb internet for £10 but you will need the BT line. I'm with virgin and although its true unlimited they slow your speed if you download more than 3gig in peak times which is very very easy to do. I can often download 70gig in one day and this never bothers Virgin. Its the reason I have never moved
Old 06 May 2009, 07:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sky Broadband Max doesn't have a fair usuage policy and is one of few that offered truly unlimited downloads.
Old 06 May 2009, 07:59 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

As Stevebt says really, I'm too with Virgin, totally unlimited. Soon bang through 3gig at peak time, and then throttled back for about 4 hours. Can download as much as you want though, I have done a good 100gig over a weekend without complaint.
Old 06 May 2009, 08:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

As above I'm heavy dowloader and virgin have not moaned the capping Is annoying but I can't complain
Old 06 May 2009, 09:38 PM
MarkGray
Scooby Regular

Im with Beunlimted, and I'm a heavy downloader aswell. Have heard nothing from them as of yet fingers crossed.

I pay about £18 a month
Old 06 May 2009, 09:49 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

I'm with Be* too, 17.50 unlinited, with no throttling and 15mb download speed - yay!!!
Old 07 May 2009, 07:40 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm I wasnt sure what I can get in my area though, as Im out in the sticks. However, if Ive got a BT line then should be able to get most providers.

I want true unlimited, i.e. I want to download as much as I can :-) Moving my email addresses will be a pain, but never speaking to those awful call centres will make up for it.

SBK
Old 07 May 2009, 07:52 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to my work colleague and he used to be on Be. He told me that Be is Tiscoli in disguse and was once a good provider. However, he was capped and was sent letters about downloading.

He' s a right torrenter, and recommends Sky, as they dont care what you download, or how much you do it.

Anyone else with Sky ? I have got sky packages. How do you connect to sky ?

SBK
Old 07 May 2009, 08:11 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Be uses the O2 (read: BT) backbone. Tiscali bought up loads of ISP's including Pipex, but they don't own Be.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:37 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Be's website also states this

No throttling or traffic shaping - we won't artificially reduce your speed to cram more people on a line (as some ISPs do).

However, I have heard that in the past Be did send out letters asking customers to stop illegal activity. But from what I heard this was something they were obliged to do and weren't interested if you stopped or not. It's not something they do anymore.

If you've already got Sky TV then the broadband packages are very tempting. Up to 16Mbit for £10 a month.

Sky Broadband - Fast Wireless Broadband - Find Out More.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:40 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Moving my email addresses will be a pain
For the sake of a few quid each year, you can register your own domain, so you can have an email address that will not change should you move ISP again in the future.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:54 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Mmmmm I wasnt sure what I can get in my area though, as Im out in the sticks.
I thought for things like Be and Sky's cheaper/faster services you needed to be on a LLU equipped exchange. Samknows Broadband - Comprehensive Broadband Information will tell you who can use.
Old 07 May 2009, 10:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Sky Broadband Max doesn't have a fair usuage policy and is one of few that offered truly unlimited downloads.

Course they do .. every ISP has one ..

If, in our reasonable opinion, you have breached this FUP, we will contact you by email to let you know that that your usage is excessive and is affecting the Sky Network and/or other users.

If after we have sent you the first email your usage continues to be excessive, we will contact you again by email to ask you to reduce you usage. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still remains excessive then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:
(a) impose a monthly usage cap on your use of Sky Broadband which you must not exceed;
(b) pair your use of Sky Broadband with other users in the same excessive usage category as you;
(c) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;
(d) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or
(e) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract.

Old 07 May 2009, 10:30 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

As above, i moved from BT option 3 to BE a few weeks back

AWESOME

on a good day BT might give me 4mb, telling me on the phone that its the maximum for my place, when i told the nice man i can go on upstairs unsecured network with talk talk and get 6mb he could not explain why

regardless, i am now getting just under 8mb with Be* and i have a healthy 1.3mb upload
Old 07 May 2009, 04:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I use Plusnet, as long as you download out of peak, there is no limit.

Speeds and service have been excellent.

Geezer
Old 07 May 2009, 05:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Andy-C
Be uses the O2 (read: BT) backbone. Tiscali bought up loads of ISP's including Pipex, but they don't own Be.
Not entirely true about O2, they have their own equimpent in the exchanges but not in every exchange (and O2 own BE not Tiscali, thats carphone warehouse).

Primmo has it spot on, every company has a "Fair Useage" policy, it may be unlimited but there are clauses, and there are measures in place if you break any of those rules (ie they will cut you off).

Tony
Old 07 May 2009, 09:11 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Put your exchange into the samknows checker and it'll tell you what LLU operators are at your exchange.

Dave.