Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Part-time work fixing computers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2009, 03:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part-time work fixing computers?

Hello

Is there still any work in this area? If I look at my local paper it seems to be full of people offering this kind of service.

I did it before a couple of years ago and made some money (charged £25/hr, extra if I found naked pictures of you on the computer) and I was better than most as I wouldn't overcharge or talk rubbish and if I had to reinstall windows / programs would take the PC away and do it whilst I was doing other things while others seemed to charge for sitting there watching the status bar go up.

Steve
Old 01 April 2009, 03:34 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i find it bad enough maintaining my own pc, let alone any one elses - and all my components are newer than 6 months. most people have sh!tty 10 year old components in their pcs that they insist they can't live without and the drivers are just about NT 4 compatible, let alone windows 5/6

good luck!
Old 01 April 2009, 03:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been known to do a bit here and there - much the same as boxst. An amount an hour and if its proper sick take it away and I can keep an eye on it while in work on a quiet day.

I tend not to do it for friends and family because you are then forever responsible. I built a PC for my boss and his kids were downloading music and films and generally clogged the thing up good and proper - for a while every Sunday at about 6 he'd call with an "issue" with his wife in the background clearly pointing the finger at me because I had built it.

Funnily enough the last call was to remove **** from the computer. My boss trying to be all diplomatic and his wife in the background that talks with several plums in her mouth (Fnar Fnar) shouting "Its Hardcore Michael!! Its hardcore!!"

she loved it really.
Old 01 April 2009, 04:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
i find it bad enough maintaining my own pc, let alone any one elses - and all my components are newer than 6 months. most people have sh!tty 10 year old components in their pcs that they insist they can't live without and the drivers are just about NT 4 compatible, let alone windows 5/6

good luck!
Most people just buy a PC and load lots and lots of rubbish and get infinite amounts of Adware / Spyware etc... so it isn't too hard to diagnose and fix.

Occasionally you get hardware failures and most of the time you just need to replace that particular component (even though the PC should be just thrown away).

Steve
Old 01 April 2009, 10:33 PM
ChrisB

I avoid home PCs unless it's family or a very very good friend.

Once you fix one problem, the PC owner will be getting you back the next week to fix another problem which they blame on you (just like Edd) but you know is not related to what you fixed before.
Old 02 April 2009, 11:07 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Funnily enough the last call was to remove **** from the computer. My boss trying to be all diplomatic and his wife in the background that talks with several plums in her mouth (Fnar Fnar) shouting "Its Hardcore Michael!! Its hardcore!!"

she loved it really.

class

ps if I were you for private jobs you really have to insist on a call out fee that covers the first 90 mins (payable up-front)

companies -- put them on a monthly retainer

"Big Bopper to March Hare.
We're still in the game, okay?"

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 April 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03 April 2009, 12:32 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I avoid home PCs unless it's family or a very very good friend.

Once you fix one problem, the PC owner will be getting you back the next week to fix another problem which they blame on you (just like Edd) but you know is not related to what you fixed before.
I haven't ever had that: I have had repeat business when the people have visited the same sites and downloaded the same adware!

Thank you for all your replies. I may give it a go again!

Steve
Old 03 April 2009, 01:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

she loved it really.
Classic.