Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 Failure

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2009, 07:20 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 Failure

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of this here??

Mine has the dreaded yellow light problem where it switches on, bleeps 3 times, switches off yellow light then flashing red light.

Rang sony and oh my god what poor service, i shall quote what the complete **** had to say about it....

'yeh its over heated nufing you can do, will cost ya 145 pound to fix we will exchange it for ya'

i explained that surely this is of no fault of mine and even though its out of warranty (launch day console) surely the product is designed to last more than 23 months to which the half wit replied....

'look you could buy a new one today and that could break tomorrow, you could buy a new car tomorrow and that could break down, at the end of the day its a highly technical piece of kit they are not designed to last for ever'

WTF is this company on and are their sales advisers on crack?

Has anyone at all escalated this kind of problem with their ps3 and got it sorted. I will write a letter but feel i may not get anywhere.

I feel like paying the money and flogging the damn thing for 300 notes on ebay and never giving them a penny of my hard earnt ever again! The reason i waited god knows how long for the ps3 was because of the xbox failures and also imho the ps3 is a better system, didnt expect it to bloody pack up

Old 17 February 2009, 07:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Speak to your local Trading Standards office. The warranties on products are fairly worthless, and there is a reasonable period that products should work, which is invariably longer than warranties (TVs for example should work up to about 5 years without issue)! It's not clear cut though, and you will need to chase the retailer not Sony.

Don't let them fob you off. If you speak to TS, they will tell you what to write in a letter and what process to follow.

Good luck

Geezer
Old 17 February 2009, 10:50 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

All I can say is phone them back mate and with any luck you will get a different tech guy on the blower.

A mate of mine has the 60Gb launch model and the Blu ray palyer recently stopped working (bout the same age as yours) so he phoned them, moaned a bit and they replaced the drive etc for him.

Do not be fobbed off by them, this is a £300 console and it's not a f£cking Xbox360 with a red ring of death!
Old 18 February 2009, 12:41 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth
Do not be fobbed off by them, this is a £300 console and it's not a f£cking Xbox360 with a red ring of death!
Difference is MS acknowledge there was a problem and addressed it, Sony in all it's arrogance brush it under the carpet, i only know 3 people with ps3s and they've all packed up.
Old 18 February 2009, 07:38 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

i will attempt to try again and write a letter of complaint too.

thing is, i know eventually they may start fixing them f.o.c like the xbox but will take time like it did with the xbox, how long was it before they admitted there ws actually a fault.

main problem with the ps3 is it seems to only be the 60 gig units so will they ever admit to a problem i would imagine that the 60 gig has less models on the market than say the 40 or 80 gig.

true what you say about the cost, i paid 490 odd quid for it on launch day with motorstorm, f1 and extra controller. i have played it a hell of alot too but it should still last longer than it has
Old 19 February 2009, 03:28 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Buy a new one from Game, then decide you don't want a new one, then accidentally put the broken one in the box and get a refund.

Sorted
Old 19 February 2009, 09:51 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by Stealth
All I can say is phone them back mate and with any luck you will get a different tech guy on the blower.

A mate of mine has the 60Gb launch model and the Blu ray palyer recently stopped working (bout the same age as yours) so he phoned them, moaned a bit and they replaced the drive etc for him.

How much

PS3 40GB Console Black - GAME - ChoicesUK.com
Old 19 February 2009, 11:00 PM
chrisray
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with mine. when i phoned sony they were great. replaced mine free of charge. my ps3 was about 6 months out of warranty. phone them again, you might get someone a bit better to speak to you (not a **** this time).
Old 19 February 2009, 11:07 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Buy a new one from Game, then decide you don't want a new one, then accidentally put the broken one in the box and get a refund.

Sorted
does that actually work ive always thought the same thing
serial nmbers different but they would have to check wouldnt they
Old 19 February 2009, 11:56 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I done it on my xbox last year as I was off work and didn't want to wait, I still had the box from when I bought it, so if there are serial numbers mine would of matched anyway.

The lad in Game didn't care anyway
Old 20 February 2009, 01:03 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^

Did this too on a faulty ps3 pad, bought a new one then refunded mine (sticky button). Evil lol

Wiley
Old 20 February 2009, 06:13 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

update

rang again yesterday

got same twaddle from the phone rep although in a more polite manner

emailed complaint to them and recieved a reply saying they would call me, this was yesterday

have they called have they f%^&

if i didnt have my games etc etc i would just go and buy a 360 elite tomorrow

getting serious call of duty 4 withdrawal

Last edited by mbc; 20 February 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 22 February 2009, 09:14 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater

Sorted
And a stint in prison for fraud

They have serial numbers and manufactured dates stamped all over them, they also know if they have been opened or not! GAME may not know - but SONY certainly will .......
Old 22 February 2009, 09:17 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

SONY were very good with the PS2's if they acted up.

It's the games they make the money from, not the consoles.

I would argue that it should last longer than it has - ask them what the working life of the product is ..... would be interested to hear the answer!

A Judge would probably put the life at 3 years? SONY would only have to pay you 1/3rd the cost new ... as you have had 2/3rds use out of it.
Old 22 February 2009, 11:42 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
SONY were very good with the PS2's if they acted up.

It's the games they make the money from, not the consoles.

I would argue that it should last longer than it has - ask them what the working life of the product is ..... would be interested to hear the answer!

A Judge would probably put the life at 3 years? SONY would only have to pay you 1/3rd the cost new ... as you have had 2/3rds use out of it.
Sony's PR arrogance put the ps3 life cycle at 10yrs tho
Old 23 February 2009, 12:40 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Id agree with calling trading standards, sales of good act changed a few years ago which basically meant warranty times dont mean jack and that it would be judged on how long something should last.

Theres no defintive answer, but if you ring sony back atleast you will have some ammo to shoot at them.

PS. If you dont have any joy and want to sell it, let me know, i'll buy it and get it repaired
Old 23 February 2009, 09:43 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite
That is a 40gb model .... Not a 60gb
Old 23 February 2009, 11:10 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

A friend of mine's broke over the weekend, and he told me this morning that it is getting replaced with an 80gb with a free dual shock, they didn't even question what was wrong with it really.

Not sure whether that was the shop or Sony, but he's had it about 8 months.

Geezer
Old 25 February 2009, 10:22 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

ok they finally called back

basicly you get 12 mth warranty if it breaks after this they replace as good will upto month 18

she said their policy is not to take mine back due to age, i can get exchanged for 145 quid like for like or take an exchange and pay 145 for a 80 gig model

so i bought a 360 elite, screw sony
Old 26 February 2009, 01:00 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbc

basicly you get 12 mth warranty if it breaks after this they replace as good will upto month 18

she said their policy is not to take mine back due to age, i can get exchanged for 145 quid like for like or take an exchange and pay 145 for a 80 gig model

When your mobile phone contract is up for renewal, get one that give you a free PS3 - if ou really want a new one.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:02 AM
cornflakes5210
Scooby Regular

liking the 360 route mate welcome to our world f**k sony lol
Old 02 May 2009, 10:08 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

mine is out of warranty by just over 3 months, do you have anumber i can call or is it worth going ack to Selfridges and telling them???
Old 02 May 2009, 01:50 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Well off the record i bought some pre owned ps2 games from Game ( were not taken of very much ), and one caused the screen to go black ( ps3 still on at this point ) so tried to switch it off at the on/off button ( i heard one bleep then 3 bleeps ) then had taken about 5 seconds to go off.It didn't switch on with me pressing the PS button, it did switch on at the on/off button though & running without fault since.It's people sending knackered games in that caused this unknown fault.I own other PS2 games an some of them never freeze or play up on me.
Old 02 May 2009, 04:02 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

can anyone help???
Old 02 May 2009, 05:53 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Rasher have a search on the Sony site, their customer services number should be there. I don't know if there is dedicated customer services phone lines for the PS3. Try the ps3 site on there too.
Old 02 May 2009, 10:49 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

cheers, have got the number now
I have read that there is a master restore somewhere, but dont know how to access it, apparently there is a menu where one of the options is reinstall drives and this can/might do the trick has anyone else heard of this???
Old 02 May 2009, 11:18 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen that, maybe it's in the menu's of recent PS3's, mine is the 60gb PS3.
Old 02 May 2009, 11:39 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbc

I don't blame you m8! thats exactly what I would have done!
Old 04 May 2009, 03:26 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob269
Difference is MS acknowledge there was a problem and addressed it, Sony in all it's arrogance brush it under the carpet, i only know 3 people with ps3s and they've all packed up.
LOL I wouldn't disagree with your sentiments but be fair how long did it take MS to take the RROD seriously and acknowledge something like 60% of their machines failed and extend the warranty, up to that point you were on your own
Old 06 May 2009, 09:48 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

Depending on how brave you are feeling you can often fix the yellow light problem yourself. It appears to be an overheating issue due to rubbish thermal paste on the original 60gb consoles, you can re-apply using better stuff (arctic silver 5) and have a quieter machine. It does break the warranty seal though, Sony probably won't touch it afterwards.

Handy guide here ...

I fixed my PS3!!! Guide included - PS3Forums

Burgerking.