Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MPEGs = BSOD with fresh install

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2009, 04:26 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MPEGs = BSOD with fresh install

Just done a full system restore on my Dell PC. The only things that are different to when I got it are a new 8800GT gfx card and a X-Fi soundcard.
I've uninstalled the old gfx and sound drivers, reinstalled the latest for both but MPEG files cause the PC to go to that nasty blue screen of death.
I'm annoyed cause it was doing it before the full restore (using Norton Ghost, not the XP system restore). I had hoped this would fix it.
All other file formats that I use seem to work fine, it's just MPEG files. It's probably something to do with the gfx card but I've tried both the original drivers that came with the card and these most current ones.
Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause it? I've not installed any codec packs yet, other than the ones Media Player 11 downloads itself.

Matt
Old 03 January 2009, 04:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Current gfx card drivers. Are you using nvidia's ? or ones from Dell? Use the nvids.
Old 03 January 2009, 05:04 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What psu have you got? I recently installed a 9600 gt and naively thought my 350 watt psu would be okay. It caused all sorts of problems blue screen. black screen and finally no screen

it was okay until I tried playing videos or games then boom
Old 03 January 2009, 06:07 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm using Nvidia's. The gfx card that came with the PC (I think it was a 7600 GS?) required powering, so I presumed the PSU would be man enough. The base unit I've got is a Dimension 9200.
I have no trouble playing games etc, just MPEGs and a LOT of my favourite movies are in that format
I've just tried viewing an mpeg so I can write what it tells me,

nv4_disp.dll is what caused it. NV and disp lead me to think it's the gfx card.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 03 January 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03 January 2009, 07:08 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yep that's one of the nvidia driver components. It must be a power issue and not a gfx card issue. But a bit weird that games are ok though.

Mine is a Dell XPS420 also with 8800GT and 350W psu, I've not had an issue before, weird one.

Maybe it's something to do with the system RAM. Run memtest on it just to make sure.
Old 03 January 2009, 07:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Also try playing your mpegs with a different player like windows media player classic. Could be a corrupt install of WMP11.
Old 03 January 2009, 07:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Found this might be relevant,

Finally resolved the last (and original) issue with my system blue screening when trying to play MPEG-2 videos.

Using Gspot 2.70a I was able to determine what MPEG-2 decoders were installed on my system. XP does not include an MPEG-2 decoder by default, so anything installed will be third party. Apparently I had two codecs installed for MPEG2 - one from an old install of the SONIC cd/dvd burning suite that came with an old cd/dvd burner and another from my currently installed Roxio package.

Apparently when I uninstalled Sonic it left a group of files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\ - one of which was an MPEG-2 decoder.

Using Gspot I was able to unregister the Sonic DLL., I then sent the files to the recycle bin. I then tried to play the video and found the audio played within Media Player but the video did not. Going back into GSpot I was able to determine that the Roxio MPEG-2 decoders were disabled with a 'Merit flag' setting of 'MERIT_DO_NOT_USE' - I changed the setting to 'MERIT_PREFERRED' and gave the video another try in Media Player - and it played fine.

---

I would try installing a 3rd party codec pack like the k-lite pack, might cure it straight away.
Old 04 January 2009, 11:58 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Oohhh Bioforger mate you might be on to something there. I've got 'sonic' something or other on here. Will try and remove it.
I found that K-lite pack and installed it first but still get the BSOD.
Will attempt removal of Sonic now!
Old 04 January 2009, 06:34 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Success... of a sort. I can now play mpeg files
Although now, everytime I boot the PC, it tries to install 'Sonic Authoriser'...

I've looked in 'start up' and done a search for all things called sonic but can't find anything
Old 04 January 2009, 08:57 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Good stuff

Have you got a Roxio product installed? Might be better to uninstall and reinstall that if you need it and if you have already applied the k-lite codec pack.

Otherwise look in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_Machine/Software/MS/Windows/Current Version/Run also same path but under HKEY/CURRENT/USER.
Old 05 January 2009, 06:29 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

No other Roxio product installed (I'd made sure I uninstalled all the Roxio stuff first).
Done a search in the registry for anything called Sonic and deleted the entries which looked like they would cause an install. Seems to still want to install something though. Might have to go back a restore point (ghost not XP's restore) and try again in case I missed something. It's a pain cause it's working fine otherwise!