Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Firefox d/load - where from ??

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2008, 06:43 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firefox d/load - where from ??

Anyone advise me the exact download site for the very latest version off firefox ?? possibly a strange question but there appears to be several different versions ie. firefox us, google pack etc ?? also I take it when an updated version off firefox becomes available a pop up message will advise you ?? same with the firefox plug ins new updates automatically d/loaded ??
Old 03 March 2008, 06:47 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

mozilla.com
Old 03 March 2008, 06:56 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client
Old 03 March 2008, 07:33 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers thats great, any idea regards the firefox add ons and keeping up with the very latest versions ??

what actually is the main advantages off using firefox as oposed to internet explorer - ?? is it any quicker / more secure ??
Old 03 March 2008, 07:38 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I definitely find it quicker than Internet explorer. You might still have to use internet explorer for some sites though, like some banking websites.
Old 04 March 2008, 09:04 AM
New_scooby_04

Just installed firefox after having real slowdown problems with IE, especially in respect of text entry!

Seriously, you just wouldn't believe how much quicker it is than IE. Pages that would take 5 seconds to load in the latter, load in about 2 seconds in firefox. The text entry problem has been completely resolved.

Only problem so far is that getting add ons like Flash player integrated seems to be a bit tricky, oh and some sites won't accept it especially if you have an older version.

Otherwise, I'd use this over IE any day!!

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 09:22 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

here's the latest - and quite stable too.

Minefield Start Page
Old 04 March 2008, 09:32 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Cool, another convert!
Check out the extensions I listed in this thread for a good starting point.

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...-possible.html
Old 04 March 2008, 10:26 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Seriously, you just wouldn't believe how much quicker it is than IE. Pages that would take 5 seconds to load in the latter, load in about 2 seconds in firefox. The text entry problem has been completely resolved.
I use both regularly (part of my job when writing code for them). I've found that on my main development machine Firefox is a lot slower than IE. In fact I've never had any problems with IE like this on any machine (XP or Vista). What other software have you got installed out of interest. Any Norton products for example?
Old 04 March 2008, 10:28 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I went back to IE7 after using firefox as I thought it was getting slower. I was using 2.006 at the time IIRC and thought IE7 was quicker and web pages loaded correctly all the time
Old 04 March 2008, 03:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I use both regularly (part of my job when writing code for them). I've found that on my main development machine Firefox is a lot slower than IE. In fact I've never had any problems with IE like this on any machine (XP or Vista). What other software have you got installed out of interest. Any Norton products for example?
Ditched Norton in favour of NOD32 mate (used the norton removal tool to make sure it was completely uninstalled), no improvement to response speed of IE. Also tried resetting IE, stripping of all add ons etc.... no improvement. Made sure all the temp files were deleted and the system was generally clean, no improvement.

Installed Firefox, pages loaded almost immediately (which is what you'd expect with a 8mb broadband connection and a laptop running a core 2 processor 2gb ram and tasty gfx card) and no more issues with text entry.

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 03:36 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. Does sound a bit odd though. I've only seen IE do things like that when something else is getting in the way (like Norton or spyware etc).
Old 04 March 2008, 04:30 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What is the FIRST result when you Google "Firefox"?

Just so you also know, if you want to come here tomorrow, you need to type bbs.scoobynet.com. If you fancy a bit of news then try news.bbc.co.uk.
Old 04 March 2008, 04:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Fair enough. Does sound a bit odd though. I've only seen IE do things like that when something else is getting in the way (like Norton or spyware etc).
I suspected spyware and malware mate. Indeed I got very suspicious when the problems seemed to occur shortly after I'd downloaded a Java update! NOD32 found 4 trojans that Norton had missed I also ran ad-aware, which only found a couple of cookies! However, sorting the above out didn't sort it either.

I'm still a little concerned that something is buried away in my system somewhere that I'm oblivious to. Are there any programs that can scan your system for processes applications that shouldn't be running (other than the above) that you'd suggest I run to look for anything else dodgy?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 05:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I don't know of anything other than the normal anti-spyware type programs (spybot and the like).

It might be worth bringing up task manager, select the processes tab, and sort the list by processor usage. Fire up IE, and try typing something. There might be a process that is using large chunks of processor time (hence the sluggish response). Might be worth a look, as the offending process should be displayed at the top of the list if this is the issue.

Come to think of it, if you are using XP I've also seen this problem caused by windows update (seems to be fixed in Vista). You could try disabling windows update auto-updates and see if you still get the same problem.
Old 04 March 2008, 06:14 PM
New_scooby_04

I don't know of anything other than the normal anti-spyware type programs (spybot and the like).

It might be worth bringing up task manager, select the processes tab, and sort the list by processor usage. Fire up IE, and try typing something. There might be a process that is using large chunks of processor time (hence the sluggish response). Might be worth a look, as the offending process should be displayed at the top of the list if this is the issue.

Come to think of it, if you are using XP I've also seen this problem caused by windows update (seems to be fixed in Vista). You could try disabling windows update auto-updates and see if you still get the same problem.
I'm running vista, but do have auto-updates enabled as far as I know.

Will give that a go.

Cheers,

Ns04
Old 05 March 2008, 01:27 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Task manager, processes, any suspicious ones go to process library.com and check them out, if dodgy remove them!
Old 07 March 2008, 10:20 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Task manager, processes, any suspicious ones go to process library.com and check them out, if dodgy remove them!
Ta for the ref mate; will have a look!