Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I need help finding a replacement graphics card for a Dell laptop

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 02:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help finding a replacement graphics card for a Dell laptop

As per title, we have an aging Dell laptop that has a bust graphics card. I like the machine and would like to keep it in service. Primarily as its an older design with floppy drive and serial/parallel ports making it good for supporting all sorts of computers.

Its an Inspiron 8200, and the card in question is an ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility 64Mb. The screen runs in 1600x1200 resolution (an important point as some other cards that fit the slot won't power the display). The rest of the machine has been tested and is known to be good.

Part number 109-96300-00

I've done the usual Google and ebay searches, but I know there are a few people here that are into their computers. My budget is not high, as I could purchase a second hand laptop to get the job done for £100 approx.
Old 27 January 2008, 02:23 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

It is the LCD screen itself, as it SXGA, WSXGA etc that determines the resolution not the gfx card

Just as long as the Gfx card supports the resolution you want to use

I didnt think the Gfx card was seperate on the Dell's just the Cooler that is removeable
Old 27 January 2008, 02:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Not sure about dell lappys, but certainly on there desktop machines they are

hint dont by a genuine dell gfx card......£140 it cost my brother in law

£20 from a local supplier to do the same

Mart
Old 27 January 2008, 07:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
It is the LCD screen itself, as it SXGA, WSXGA etc that determines the resolution not the gfx card

Just as long as the Gfx card supports the resolution you want to use

I didnt think the Gfx card was seperate on the Dell's just the Cooler that is removeable

Its more complicated than that in the world of Dell laptops. I've had a 32Mb card in there that is the right connection, but would not support the display. You know what Dell are like with all their custom hardware...*sigh*

The last desktop I came across had a CPU fan failure. Easy job I thought, until I found that the Dell fan was a custom thickness, with custom connection and ran at a custom speed. Getting any of the above wrong resulted in the BIOS shouting at you

Anyway, this is a laptop with a separate GFX card. Its nice, fast, and broken until I can find somewhere that sells a replacement part