Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Printer?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 09:51 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Printer?

This weekend I shall finally be taking a club hammer to my Epson Stylus Photo 830, so a replacement is needed.

The Canon Pixma IP4300/4500 looks to fit the bill nicely and get good reviews. Any other recommendations? (except anger management classes)

I need something that won't dry up too quickly when not used for a week or so at a time, but can produce a good photo on demand and colour documents every week or so.
Old 23 January 2008, 09:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I have a Canon IP4000 (which is a couple of generations older, but effectively the same sort of thing) and I can't complain at all - Print speed is good, quality is very good, Ink is cheap as chips as the cartidges don't contain the print head as per HP printers, and lasts pretty well. I might not use mine for colour prints from one month to the next sometimes, but the ink seems to last ok.

Top printer IMHO
Old 23 January 2008, 10:11 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Pete. I like that they don't have vertical feed and can be closed up to prevent dust ingress. Separate ink tanks is a big plus too as is duplex printing. Can't see anything on the market that comes close from HP, Epson or Lexmark.

I toyed with the idea of a colour laser printer, but haven't used one since the days of our old HP Colour LaserJet which took two struggling people to lift Not sure whether they'd produce a good glossy photo either.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:23 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

My Canon takes 5 carts - 3 colours plus 2 black (one for photo, one for "normal" printing)

You have a tray feed and a vertical feed - The supplied software is pretty good - The usual useless photo manipulation tools, which you throw away if you have Photoshop, but the "Easy web print" is quite nice, and integrates into your browser.

Prints are pretty colour fast - I tend to use Canon paper with Canon ink - I have a picture of the kids that I have had in the office for a year or so and it hasn't faded at all.

Of course if you stick it in direct sunlight, it will dissapear, but that goes for any picture.

It Prints a lovely borderless A4 photo, Black and whites and Duotones/monochromes come out well.
Old 23 January 2008, 12:59 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I had a string of Epsons and have switches to Canon. Far more reliable, less issues with print headfs and far better ink usage.Print quality as good if not better.

My girlfriend bought a couple of multifunction Canons for about £40 each and I'm staggered how good they seem to be for a cheap printer.

Canon PIXMA MP210 from MacWarehouse

Unfortunately I think the £20 cash back offer has now expired.

AllanB
Old 31 January 2008, 06:03 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I bought the IP4500 in the end and it arrived today, will post up when I have tested it out
Old 31 January 2008, 09:24 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Well, first impressions are that its outstanding I've printed a half page borderless photo on glossy paper of a Raleigh Burner I've restored and I have to say thats its the best (and probably the fastest) print I've ever seen from a printer. I wouldn't be able to tell it from a lab photo, it just doesn't look printed no matter how close you examine it The colour reproduction is perfect. The archaic Epson looks like a Fisher Price toy in comparison, I can't believe I've put up with it for so long.

It was a breeze to set up in Vista using the latest print drivers from Canon rather than the ones on the CD. Nice easy to use config software and even the disc printing and photo software is pretty good and functional, which makes a change.

Its larger than I expected, footprint of about an A3 sheet. Nice glossy black finish and closes up neatly when not in use. Fantastic build quality and super quiet operation

I'm over the moon with it at the moment. I guess time will tell if it continues to produce at such a high quality, but I can't fault it at the moment and I'm a picky bugger
Old 31 January 2008, 10:28 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

at our pcworld we are selling it for £39.99
Buy a cheap Canon Pixma MP210 - All In One Printer from PC World UK.

Originally Posted by AllanB
I had a string of Epsons and have switches to Canon. Far more reliable, less issues with print headfs and far better ink usage.Print quality as good if not better.

My girlfriend bought a couple of multifunction Canons for about £40 each and I'm staggered how good they seem to be for a cheap printer.

Canon PIXMA MP210 from MacWarehouse

Unfortunately I think the £20 cash back offer has now expired.

AllanB