Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new computer????

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 08:16 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new computer????

i bought a new pc just before christmas. it was £650 from pc world. the first 3 weeks it was perfect, recently it started to run slow. i thought it was my isp. until the word pad started to freeze and run ultra slow. i had to restore the system yesterday. tonight i tried to upload photos to my profile and pistonheads as my car is for sale. the computer should do this in a couple of minutes. however it can't complete the uploads. it took 7 or 8 minutes to upload 6 photographs to my pistonheads advert. before it was complete it displayed internet explorer cannot display the webpage. it done this last night too before i restored it. yesterday i had my wireless set up but after restoring the system i lost the drivers. it is hard wired to my router now with an ethernet cable so there shouldn't be any problems but there are. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE????????
Old 31 January 2008, 08:27 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Have you got Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware/Malware software installed

If so maybe worth giving them a run to make sure your system isnt infected

Also might be worth doing a scandisk on the drive too in case it has developed any errors
Old 31 January 2008, 09:02 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

As mentioned do a scan for malware, if not try housecall by trend micro, its a free online scanner, very effective. We used it for servers etc, so its safe. Just google it. Accept all the activex requirements, and sit back.

Another thought is the motherboard drivers, if you can get your motherboard details, often by the writing on the motherboard, then you can download the correct chipset for this motherboard.

Be sure you dont invalidate any warranties though.
Old 31 January 2008, 09:22 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default PC

thanks for your advice i ran a scan for virus' and a scan disk everything is working properly. my internet is still slow though i think after doing the scans the problem is with my isp. i can't even attach a photo to an email. yet it only took about 90 seconds to copy 500 photographs from my computer memory to my stand alone hard drive for storage. its a wanadoo live box. i'll phone them soon. more importantly i really need to do my tax return before midnight. thanks for your input if it wasn't for scoobynet i'd have lumps all over my head with banging it of the wall so much. cheers guys Chris
Old 31 January 2008, 09:30 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Havent celebrities been warned not to do their tax returns online as it isnt deemed safe ?
Old 31 January 2008, 10:33 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default tax return

any percentage of zero is zero. i'm sure i'll be safe