Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac os on pc?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2007, 04:32 PM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac os on pc?

Would this be possible? it seems easy enough the other way around but is it possible to put a mac os on a pc
Old 15 October 2007, 04:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blockmonke@fsmail.net
Would this be possible? it seems easy enough the other way around but is it possible to put a mac os on a pc
listen you tight fisted gimp...

It is possible but fraught with pitfalls and lengthy process's, all of which would tax your wee brain and no doubt render that zx spectrum you have, completely useless.

Why dont you just admit it that you want a mac and buy one.

Arent we friendly here in Comp related
Old 15 October 2007, 05:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Depends on what Mac OS you want to run and how you want to run it.

You may well find that there are VM (Virtual Machine) systems out there that will allow you to run Pre Mac OS X versions of the OS within them. There may even be ones which allow OS X to run within them as well.

If you want to run OS X in a dual boot or single boot setup, you may want to pop over here and have a read (the OSx86 bit)

As Mr Toblerone quite rightly states, it'd be far simpler to just get a new Intel based Mac and dual boot it with XP, you'll then have OS X and XP (or Vista if you're a glutton for punishment) running happily and without any real issues.

Last edited by Markus; 15 October 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:04 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Speaking of which, is it possible to run OS X as a guest OS in Parallels or Fusion? Would be quite handy for testing stuff.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl

Speaking of which, is it possible to run OS X as a guest OS in Parallels or Fusion? Would be quite handy for testing stuff.
I agree, it would be quite handy, especially if it allowed you to run 10.2 and 10.3 on a 10.4/10.5 system via VM as that would make my testing duties so much simpler.

At present Fusion/Parallels does not allow you to have an OS X VM.

This is a response from Ben @ Parallels, on his blog, to someone asking about running OS X as a Guest Machine inside Parallels. The same would hold true for Fusion, or any other VM software running on OS X:

While this is technically possible, running OS X in a virtual machine is a clear violation of Apple's OS X EULA, which states in Section 2, subsection A: "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. "

So, in order for us to make this happen, we need Apple to give us the green light, which they have so far been reluctant to do. If you want to see this happen (I know I do), let Apple know by filling out their feedback form on apple.com.

As for running a virtual machine via Parallels Workstation in a Windows virtual machine running in Parallels on a Mac (wrap your head around that one), this IS possible...just don't expect amazing performance, since you're effectively working in a virtual machine running in a virtual machine running on real hardware.

Thanks for the question...I feel dizzy now...

Last edited by Markus; 15 October 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:18 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus.

I only skimmed the parallels forum but a quick google brought up license issues.

I suppose that you could say you are not actually running it on Mac hardware but on a 'virtual machine'

Also I presume they would somehow have to tie it to the Mac - otherwise you could take your virtual image and use it on a Windows VMWare platform.

Yep, running 10.2 etc (or even OS9 for some of our schools!) would be great for testing. How do you test your s/w now Markus? - just on a dedicated machine?

Edit: Just read the parallels response. Think I'll e-mail Steve @ Apple lol

Last edited by jowl; 15 October 2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus.

I only skimmed the parallels forum but a quick google brought up license issues.

I suppose that you could say you are not actually running it on Mac hardware but on a 'virtual machine'

Also I presume they would somehow have to tie it to the Mac - otherwise you could take your virtual image and use it on a Windows VMWare platform.

It, Mac OS X, is tied to the Mac via the TPM (can't remember what it stands for) but it's essentially an encryption thingy that checks to see if the hardware is what it says it is, ie; a bona-fide Intel based mac. This is what the chappies have to crack to get OS X running on a non Apple x86 machine.

Yep, running 10.2 etc (or even OS9 for some of our schools!) would be great for testing. How do you test your s/w now Markus? - just on a dedicated machine?
Here's my test setup:

G3 iMac and G4 Tower: Runs - 9.2.2, 10.2.8, 10.3.9, 10.4.1x (x being 10 and 11, which is in seed)

G4 iBook: Runs - 10.3.9, 10.4.x and 10.5 dev seeds

Intel iMac: Runs 10.4.x and 10.5 dev seeds

G4 Tower Server: Runs 10.2.8 Server, 10.3.9 Server and 10.4.x Server

As for 10.5, well, the sys requirements for client are G4/G5/Intel 1GHz or better with 512MB RAM. This means the G3 iMac cannot run 10.5 at all. The G4 Towers technically can't run it either as they fail on the processor speed requirement, but if you know what you're doing, that can be bypassed. At present the G4 tower fails on lack of memory as well, but as said, one can work around this

So as you can see, if a VM allowed me to run OS X, and preferable 10.2 thru 10.5, then I could reduce the number of machines I have, in fact, I could replace them with a few decent specification Intel Mac Mini's, thus saving on desk space. OS 9 would be the only thing I'd need a real machine for and to be honest, I'm not overly worried with OS 9 issues.
Old 15 October 2007, 07:47 PM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
listen you tight fisted gimp...

It is possible but fraught with pitfalls and lengthy process's, all of which would tax your wee brain and no doubt render that zx spectrum you have, completely useless.

Why dont you just admit it that you want a mac and buy one.

Arent we friendly here in Comp related
Your about as much help as a baseball bat to the face I was actually hoping to replace the aging pc and was impressed by the way even the truly retarded like yourself could operate a mac.
Old 15 October 2007, 08:09 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Your about as much help as a baseball bat to the face I was actually hoping to replace the aging pc and was impressed by the way even the truly retarded like yourself could operate a mac.

okay, if you are serious (and that will be the fecking day ), then get in touch with me and I will sort you out a good deal
Old 15 October 2007, 08:09 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Mac's were designed for people like Swiss who dont know how to use a real computer

Is this thread fast becoming the new FC
Old 15 October 2007, 08:13 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Mac's were designed for people like Swiss who dont know how to use a real computer

Is this thread fast becoming the new FC

funny how when I was selling my mac, you wanted to buy it.....
Old 15 October 2007, 08:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

LOL

Did you sell it in the end, and did you get a good price for it
Old 16 October 2007, 02:19 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Depends on what Mac OS you want to run and how you want to run it.

You may well find that there are VM (Virtual Machine) systems out there that will allow you to run Pre Mac OS X versions of the OS within them. There may even be ones which allow OS X to run within them as well.

If you want to run OS X in a dual boot or single boot setup, you may want to pop over here and have a read (the OSx86 bit)

As Mr Toblerone quite rightly states, it'd be far simpler to just get a new Intel based Mac and dual boot it with XP, you'll then have OS X and XP (or Vista if you're a glutton for punishment) running happily and without any real issues.

Markus, you bloody star!!!!
Old 16 October 2007, 03:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
LOL

Did you sell it in the end, and did you get a good price for it
yes I did and yes a very good price
Old 16 October 2007, 09:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatly I'm stuck with a processor that only supports SSE, so that out.

Oh well credit cards gonna hate me.