Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Telewest and ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 08:05 AM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a fair idea who will know the answer to my question.

Telewest now run what was Windsor cable. I believe 1 of the first cabled areas in the country. At the moment it is still analogue and I have been told that they have no plans to upgrade yet. Anyone ie babber know when digital will be available.
Old 04 January 2002, 08:25 AM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Sorry should have been Broadband not ADSL.
Old 04 January 2002, 09:01 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Sorry to spout the obvious, but why not ring Blueyonder?

0800 9535000
01268 467502
Old 04 January 2002, 10:34 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I've have Blueyonder for about 3 months now, and I have to say, it is superb Well worth the folding.
Old 04 January 2002, 11:28 AM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Because Blueyonder runs through the cable network and Telewest only provide an analogue service in my area.
Old 04 January 2002, 07:08 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Upgrading the network to digital costs a lot of money. The broadband service uses the same digital equipment used to provide the interactive service for the digital set top boxes. The main backbone network would also need to be upgraded with new lines and equipment. Then you have to take into consideration all the digital transmission equipment.

Telewest like most of the service providers needs to be very carefull with thier money at the moment. Ask when you are getting
digital TV, this will happen before the broadband service.

Si
Old 05 January 2002, 06:59 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Beau,

Windsor cable, Hmmmm. Would that be anywhere near Langley ?? Was it not called the cable corporation ? If so then they are already digital ready!! There could well be a number of nodes that have been deemed un-servicable, due to return path noise, but I thought they were all fixed.

I would telephone your local office and say you want to be upgraded to digital, and see what they say. I would say at least 95% of TW network (excluding Eurobell) is digital ready. The remaining 5% is cabletime and that needs huge investment on the RF network to upgrade it.

Cheers Phill C
Old 05 January 2002, 07:50 PM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes it does all run out of Langley.
I called just before christmas and got told that I was only able to get Analogue. No date set for upgrade. I thought it was the whole area but now I feel very dejected and persecuted. I will call again next week and see what they say.
Old 09 January 2002, 12:30 PM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

babber

I am still being told that only an analogue service is available in my area and no date has been set for this to change.
Old 01 May 2002, 08:09 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Beau,

I was heavily involved with the launch of digital and HSi, and helped with the launch of Langley and the supporting hub sites. I thought all of the Langley area were "digital ready".

I seem to remember a few areas, near Heathrow that had to be filtered (return path) as there was a large amount of noise causing the UBRs not to function correctly, but we should have sent our Ingress busting teams to do the work required.

The main thing is all the kit is in the headend, so your not a million miles away from getting the service.

Keep me informed, as I may be able to have a little chat with the local Field Ops Head of for London if Ingress work is required. I'm just putting a business case together for additional staff (ingress teams for the whole country) so he's my mate at the moment

Cheers Phill C

PS Edited to say that Digital shares the same Bandwidth with analogue, it's like a bolt on mod but very expensive...

[Edited by babber - 1/5/2002 8:12:25 PM]