Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, ordered the bits for my dad's new computer, hopefully turning up today, and tomorrow.

Now, going to need internet access, 56k modem seems a bit outclassed these days, so ADSL looks like it might be worth it.

So, need to know a little more about ADSL.

I know BT can provide it at my location, which is great, but, the computer will be quite a way from the phone, ie; upstairs, and the phone socket downstairs. will this cause a problem.

What hardware/software do I need, or is it all provided.

what's the best place to use for it? BT? NTL? Telewest(Eurobel)? PlusNet?

help! too confusing for my brain!
Old 25 March 2002, 11:03 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

When BT installed mine they brought 30m of cable, so I could have the PC within that distance of the main box. Since I already had the cabling to my study in place they just used that. It works a treat. And I have a spare installation kit.

Well worth spending your dad's money on it!

Old 25 March 2002, 11:08 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, have read a little more about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the USB modem just plugs into a standard BT phone line? so if I wire up a phone line to the computers location then this 30m thing will not apply? or am i wrong here?
Old 25 March 2002, 11:09 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

ADSL is the way foward, and has just been reduced in price

David
Old 25 March 2002, 11:20 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
yeah, just seen the new cheaper ADSL, 22 quid, which is pretty good considering BT and freeserve are about 12 - 15 quid a month.

as long as the cabling is not an issue I'll have it!

ahh, scoobynet at home, what a joy that will be. scoobychat just won't be safe anymore
Old 25 March 2002, 11:22 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I suggest you spend your time reading here: www.adslguide.org.uk and on their forums bbs.adslguide.org.uk.

You can just use the Alcatel USB modem that plugs into the PC and then into a normal Socket that has been ADSL enabled if you are just going to use a single computer.

There are lots of other (better!) modems, and routers if you wish to have many computers connected. You can always have complete overkill and have a wireless solution.

Steve.
Old 25 March 2002, 11:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,
at present will only be one computer, so will probably just let 'them' install it. Might have a chat with the networking types here about it, never know they might have a spare DSL modem lurking somewhere
Old 25 March 2002, 11:25 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I understand the ADSL must connect to the main phone point and not an extension.
Old 25 March 2002, 11:28 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

think you're right, which is my cause for concern.
Old 25 March 2002, 11:44 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Marcus

If your dad is in range, I would go for Tele2 WIRELESS ADSL. I have had it now for 5mths and it is wicked...

Contention Ratio is better than BT (BT 50:1) (Tele2 15:1) You get 256K Upload 512K Download, I have 512/512

They install a dish on your roof, a bit like a sky mini dish but smaller, and then run a BNC cable into the room where the little box is going to sit, then you just use a RJ45 cable from your pc/hub to your little Tele2 box.

That way it doesn't interfer with your phone lines.

And the best thing about it is, not that this may aply to your dad but you get a fixed IP address, so I run websites and Games servers from home..

It connects via a LAN card in your PC for a single user although I have a Hardware firewall router which is also a 10/100 MEG Switch from Daytek (great bit of kit) does DHCP, NAT, DMZ the works and I have 2 PC's and a server connected...

All for £39.99 per month...... Pucker........

Mark
Old 25 March 2002, 11:50 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mark,
cheers for that mate. Bummer is that we are nowhere near in range

Does sound like a great system though.

Think you spend far to much time on-line though, but at least you kick Dom's *** now and then
Old 25 March 2002, 12:00 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

LOL Kick doms **** now and then!!!

Dom Has NEVER beaten me .............
Old 25 March 2002, 12:03 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Markus

Definitely recommend reading and asking questions on adslguide.

Things are a bit more confused now with the introduction of the "wires only" service where you provide the hardware and BT don't even come to your premises. As far as master socket goes, it did used to have to connect to the master socket. When BT installed mine (18 months ago) they simply converted the nearest socket to a master and backwired to all other sockets as extensions. Not sure this is now the case with the splitters and filters that are available.

Couple of points, if you go for the "engineer install" where BT supply the modem then be aware that the Alcatel USB modem can be problematical on some systems. Via chipsets and shutting down USB ports come to mind. There are ways around the varous problems but it can be frustrating when it doesn't work out of the box.

If you go for the "wires only" then be aware that many of the popular ADSL modems are in extremely short supply. Some suppliers are now quoting early May delivery.

Old 25 March 2002, 12:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just you wait until I'm connected up, I'll give you and Dom a right ol kicking

They don't call me frag target for nothing
Old 25 March 2002, 12:10 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Markus,

First a (very) little background on how ADSL works. Basically, there are several frequency bands on which data is transmitted, and all of these bands are at a much higher freuqency than a normal voice conversation.
A "voice" call and an ADSL call can therefore occur simultaneously on the same line wihtout interfering with each other.
However, you need to spilt the signals up to avoid unwanted interference.
This signal splitting is performed by a fairly simple filter, and you can get these filters in various ways:
i) BT fit one to your master phone socket. All your "voice" extensions therefore only carry the "voice" signal, and a new connection goes "directly" to your ADSL modem (which can be up to 30 meters of cable away)
ii) You get a "micro-filter" for each phone extension, which basically menas that each extension is filtered individually.
This means that your ADSL connection can be anywhere in the house where there is a phone point.

The micro-filters cost about £10 each, and look a bit like a normal phone line splitter, except you have a BT plug on one side, and a BT socket plus an RJ45 socket on the other side.

If you go down the Self Install route, you will get micro-filters.
If you go down the Installed route, you will get a fixed filter box.

Self Install usually has a lower initial connection fee (or even free with Pipex!), and possible a lower monthly fee. You also get to choose whatever ADSL equipment you want - but you have to buy it!
Installed usually costs more up front, and may cost more per month, and you may be restricted on hardware choice. However, everything is done for you.

You pays yer money, and you takes yer choice....

David H.