Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Environments for PC's? Loft ok?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 08:17 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Environments for PC's? Loft ok?

I have a PC that I'm running as a file server and after recently boarding the loft out I have space for it there.

The only problem is that it is cold, but not damp. So I'm wondering about the use of a PC in that type of environment.

Any tips, concerns or suggestions?
Old 23 December 2006, 08:27 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Also, don't forget that at the height of summer it'll be like 40 degrees in there! Toasty
Old 23 December 2006, 08:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If it it runs 24/7, the components will stay warm enough to ward off any damp/condensation.

If its a p4 (preschot ) then it may have cooling issues in the height of summer.
Old 23 December 2006, 11:31 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Its an old Athlon 1900+ piece of dirt!!

I was thinking the same regarding the summer heat and was hoping the heat from the machine would keep the condensation at bay.

I may put a fan there in summer, but what about just leaving the side of the case off? Does the air flow inside the case rely on the case being closed?
Old 24 December 2006, 07:40 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

my setup is in the loft

cold as hell in winter tried using a heater, but cost a small fortune now i just make sure i have a jumper or 2 on

summer gets hot, but a fan helps

case is open to the elements, and all pci slots are in use

Mart
Old 24 December 2006, 08:38 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run pcs in the garage the loft and pretty much everywhee else, getting a big shed for the garden and that will have power so there will be a pc (or three) in there, I have left them on and off during the depths of winter and height of summer on and off and had no issues at all, if you arent bothered about it dont worry about it, one thing I do is to put a smoke alarm near any pc that is left on for extended periods just in case the cooling gets obstructed ot the fan fails.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:00 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Default In the loft it is!

I have decided that between the loft and garage that the loft is the better option. I have the network cable and PC in place ready to power up.

Now, the only 2 power sources in the loft are for the lights and shower. I really dont want to cut the shower supply and use a junction box, I would rather use the lighting supply from the junction box that already feeds all the upstairs lighting.

I'm assuming that the PC shouldn't draw too much power.

This is the spec:

AMD 1900+
512mb
1 x 10gb HDD
2 x 80gb HDD
1 x DVD writer (that can be removed)
1 x 64mb Graphics card
1 x CRT 15" monitor (that will only be on if I cant connect via PC anywhere)

Any thoughts?
Old 07 January 2007, 06:07 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Few hundred watts. Plus the surge when the monitor degauzes when switched on.

IEE regs won't like you having a normal 3 pin plug on the light circuit though, unless you use the round pin type sockets (5amp lighting sockets). Not to mention falling foul of all that Part P rubbish to get it signed off.

Last edited by Shark Man; 07 January 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:39 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

I'd have to double check, but I don't think there's a regulation that stops the use of a standard 3 pin plug. After all, there won't be any safety issue so long as the MCB is correctly rated. If you draw too much current, the MCB trips, fire averted.
What lights do you have on that circuit? That's going to be the clincher. If you check the MCB opperating current, and make a note of the lights on that circuit (Wattages), I can tell you roughly what you have left to play with. But yes, Building regs won't let you do the work yourself.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:30 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I knew the regs had changed but whats the low down on doing it myself.

Can I do it and get it checked?

Or do I need someone to do the lot for me?

And how much trouble will I get into IF I do it myself?

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:32 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Another idea!!

If I run an extension lead from an upstairs plug socket via the same route as my LAN cable then that should be within the rules?
Old 07 January 2007, 07:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John@TunerUK
I'd have to double check, but I don't think there's a regulation that stops the use of a standard 3 pin plug. After all, there won't be any safety issue so long as the MCB is correctly rated. If you draw too much current, the MCB trips, fire averted.
What lights do you have on that circuit? That's going to be the clincher. If you check the MCB opperating current, and make a note of the lights on that circuit (Wattages), I can tell you roughly what you have left to play with. But yes, Building regs won't let you do the work yourself.

Hmm, I'm not 100% certain myself. Just I do know that installations (pubs mainly) where I've seen sockets used on the lighting ring, a 5amp round pin socket was used. Now the question begs if this was done because of regs or because it would make someone think twice before plugging in a 3Kw heater into it and tripping the breaker. I agree there is no safety issue as thats what the MCB is for, think its more of a belt and braces common sense thing to use a 5amp socket on a 5amp ring, but then, we can have 6-gang 13amp trailing sockets plugged into a 13amp wall socket, so go figure

Last edited by Shark Man; 07 January 2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:44 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Technically, no. You aren't allowed to run data and 230V cables down the same routes. They have to be segregated. And running a LAN cable along with a 230V extension isn't going to do much for your data transfer either.

If you run them in segregated trunking, then you'd be ok. Regulation wise at least.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:50 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Hmm, I'm not 100% certain myself. Just I do know that installations (pubs mainly) where I've seen sockets used on the lighting ring, a 5amp round pin socket was used. Now the question begs if this was done because of regs or because it would make someone think twice before plugging in a 3Kw heater into it and tripping the breaker. I agree there is no safaty issue as thatwhat the MCB is for, think its more of a belt and braces common sense thing to use a 5amp socket on a 5amp ring, but then, we can have 6gang 13amp trailing sockets plugged into a 13amp wall socket, so go figure
I think it's like you said, It's more a feature to restrict what you do plug into the socket to stop you from actually tripping the MCB.
The whole socket thing has had me wondering a few times too. plugging a 6 gang into one socket isn't such a problem, because it's backed up by a 13 amp fuse in the plug. But you could easily plug 2x13A appliances into a dual socket fed off a spur from the ring main. You then have a single 2.5mm T+E backed up by a 32 amp breaker with a potential 26 amps flowing. Combine that with some wall insulation and you have problems!
Reg's eh, what use are they?!!!!!